U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

24,681 posts, read 53,034,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post

I agree that most basements are really horrible sights and any photos would be strong negatives.
The furnace and all the pipes and electrics, etc were extremely neat and tidy.
some are.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do many real estate listings neglect to show pictures of basements?-01-11-13_0202.jpg   Why do many real estate listings neglect to show pictures of basements?-not-so-scary-basement-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

29,392 posts, read 51,839,171 times
Photos have one function only:
To get people into the house.
(Of course, agents can and do use quality of photos to impress potential listing clients, too.)

Will most people decline to visit a house due to lack of basement photos?
I doubt it.
Will many people decline to visit a house due to photos of a crummy basement?
Maybe.
Are there other photo subjects that are more likely to bring viewers?
If so, those subjects should be presented before basement photos are considered in venues that limit the number of photos.

Generally, an agent using photos to disclose poor conditions in the house may not be serving the owner/client well.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

1,046 posts, read 395,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
some are.
I'm sorry but I have no idea what this post means.

I think both photos are negative looking and I would not include either in a selection of online photos. Not horrible looking for a viewing but not worthy of inclusion in home photos IMO.

The vent on furnace thing in the photo on the right looks like a nuclear radiation warning symbol!!!

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,131,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm in the Boston area and 99% of houses around here have a basement.

Without a doubt, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they'd like to see a photo of an unfinished basement in the listing.
Especially if the basement is unfinished, it's the very first thing I look at. Why? Because that is where you are going to see the fundamental problems with systems exposed. Structural, foundation, dampness, ancient furnace, breaker box, spaghetti wiring, leaks in plumbing, visible leaks in the ceiling and so on. If it passes the basement test, I will go on to look at the rest of the house.

Of course if such flaws are visible odds are they would hide them in photos anyway and hope the buyer is stupid enough to not inspect the basement carefully. A reason why online photos are only minimally useful. They are superficial.

Finished basements are nice but buyer beware - they can hide a LOT of problems.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; Yesterday at 08:29 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

7,451 posts, read 10,468,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Photos have one function only:
To get people into the house.
(Of course, agents can and do use quality of photos to impress potential listing clients, too.)

Will most people decline to visit a house due to lack of basement photos?
I doubt it.
Will many people decline to visit a house due to photos of a crummy basement?
Maybe.
Are there other photo subjects that are more likely to bring viewers?
If so, those subjects should be presented before basement photos are considered in venues that limit the number of photos.

Generally, an agent using photos to disclose poor conditions in the house may not be serving the owner/client well.
If there is no mention of what type of foundation I am not going thats for sure. I'm sick of guessing.

And pictures of a bedroom aren't going to get me into a house. A basement might though.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

1,533 posts, read 597,677 times
I have never looked at a basement in depth. I don't know if my husband looks at them. Maybe he did

Now I can see that people who are interested in getting to that level of nitty-gritty right from the start would be interested in seeing pictures of the basement.

But I suspect if you are dealing with an unfinished basement (or even one that isn't finished that nicely) you have the potential of turning off more potential buyers by posting basement pics, than drawing them in

It's the same reason why you don't give buyers the sellers disclosure before the visit. Hey, come see my house with the old roof!

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

8,024 posts, read 2,903,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I have never looked at a basement in depth. I don't know if my husband looks at them. Maybe he did

Now I can see that people who are interested in getting to that level of nitty-gritty right from the start would be interested in seeing pictures of the basement.

But I suspect if you are dealing with an unfinished basement (or even one that isn't finished that nicely) you have the potential of turning off more potential buyers by posting basement pics, than drawing them in

It's the same reason why you don't give buyers the sellers disclosure before the visit. Hey, come see my house with the old roof!
I'm really not that interested in seeing pictures of an unfinished basement but for goodness sake, listings should at least state that a basement exists if that is the case. Then the potential buyer can make a more informed decision if they want to see the house whether they want a basement or are set against having a basement.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

14,406 posts, read 21,822,881 times
I think there was one picture of our finished basement when we sold out NY house. I know they took pics, but I can't remember if they made the listing. i think one did.

Unfinished basement? I've only seen that if there are issues with the size of the rest of the house and it's usually "Huge basement, finish to your liking" or something similar....something to increase the size of the house, so to speak.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

4,748 posts, read 2,344,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm in the Boston area and 99% of houses around here have a basement.

If the basement is finished, I'll see photos of it in the listing 90% of the time. If the basement is unfinished except for the occasional photo of the heating system or maybe the laundry machines (if they're down there) I don't think I've ever seen anyone put in a photo of an unfinished basement.

Without a doubt, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they'd like to see a photo of an unfinished basement in the listing. While basements can certainly vary in construction (cinder block, fieldstone, poured cement, etc.) and also pour depth aside from that if you've seen one unfinished basement you've pretty much seen them all. I know at least in my MLS there are fields you can fill in to answer some of these questions up front.

I would guess aside from the uniformity of unfinished basements, the aesthetics are another reason why you don't typically see photo of them in a listing. It's a bunch of pipes, concrete, and insulation along with a whole slew of people's junk that they're storing down there. It's just not pretty. Plus, basements are typically very dark so not great for photographing.

That's interesting because the basement was one of the important criteria when we were buying our first house. Our realtor learned that when showing us a house the first place I was heading was the basement with a tape measure. I could learn more in five minutes in an unfinished basement about both the construction of the house as well as future potential than in spending all day looking at white on white drywall, with beige carpet, and golden oak cabinets.

Unfortunately we now live in a part of the country where basements are rare and I miss having that basement.

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

6,069 posts, read 4,989,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's interesting because the basement was one of the important criteria when we were buying our first house. Our realtor learned that when showing us a house the first place I was heading was the basement with a tape measure. I could learn more in five minutes in an unfinished basement about both the construction of the house as well as future potential than in spending all day looking at white on white drywall, with beige carpet, and golden oak cabinets.
of course. But I think the question is whether pics of those basements would have made a difference, or you were going to inspect the basement regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate