U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:57 PM

2,042 posts, read 950,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm really not that interested in seeing pictures of an unfinished basement but for goodness sake, listings should at least state that a basement exists if that is the case. Then the potential buyer can make a more informed decision if they want to see the house whether they want a basement or are set against having a basement.
Wouldn't that be on the listing?

But yeah, definitely need to know that at least
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 03:22 PM

11,497 posts, read 5,511,317 times
We bought our house new and one of the options available was finishing the basement (fully or partially) and adding either a half or full bath. We chose to partially finish it putting in a 1/2 bath but leaving the area with the HVAC, hot water heater and sump pump unfinished. When we put it on the market last year, our realtor got a professional photographer to take interior and exterior photos. When it came to the basement, the photographer took photos of both the finished and unfinished parts. Interestingly enough, she took photos that gave the impression that the whole basement was empty. My husband had a small man cave in one corner. Even though it was tidy, she left it out. In the unfinished part, my husband had a couple of small stacks of containers. She also avoided photographing that area. In fact, after she took photos, our realtor told us to make the unfinished part less cluttered, which we did.

Meanwhile, our neighbor up the street had his house on the market at the same time. His realtor did not post any photos of the basement, which was entirely unfinished.

So...I guess it depends on the realtor, and, perhaps the condition of the basement?

Old 02-10-2018, 03:29 PM

7,763 posts, read 6,119,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Wouldn't that be on the listing?

But yeah, definitely need to know that at least
it depends on whether the information is required in the local MLS. Even if not required, I'd call its absence an indication of the quality of agent that the Seller hired.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,052,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of my friends has an elevator to the basement... just a regular house but his father in law owned a elevator service company... no need to lug heavy items up and down the stairs.
Nice! That's pretty sweet. Would not be cheap to install one or build a new house and have one installed today. I wonder how the maintenance is....can't be anything like a hotel or office.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A seller would post pictures of an underwhelming basement to indicate its size and its ceiling height. Properly taken such a picture would show location and condition of utility and laundry equipment and orientation of water and sewer lines as well as areas generally unusable for occupation due to low beams, piping and ductwork. It could also show location of stairs and outside access and location of windows.

Foundation construction and evidence of water intrusion could be seen as well as the presence of a sump pump, if any. A dry bar, wet bar or simply built in storage shelving could be seen. Need I go on?
That's a lot of assumptions about a basement. Our basement has separate rooms so you wouldn't see everything unless there's several photos.....photos that could be used to show the rest of the house and cause interest. Around here no one cares about the basement....we all have them and they're all pretty similar.

Laundry is being relocated in our house this summer so you won't find it in our basement. This is my first house with basement laundry. That was normal here decades ago when our houses were built. Almost every house has been remodeled and the laundry moved out of the basement. Our house is one of the last ones.

Our basement walls and floor were all painted so you won't see any residue if there was water. Wash the walls and it's all gone. The basement windows are the original wood windows and do occasionally leak so we wash the walls. All gone!

No sump pump. You can't see our French drain. No dry bar. No wet bar. No built in storage. Unless a bar is built in and permanently attached, I wouldn't assume it's staying!

All of these details would be found in the MLS or on the realtors website. You still need to really go and look at a house. Photos don't tell you much. They see to show you the basics and that's it....that and the items the current owner has. I'll never understand by photos are taken of furniture! It's NOT staying! And PLEASE close the darn toilet!

Old 02-10-2018, 06:27 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
sounds like a NJ question, not a nation-wide RE question
I agree, I think this is more a regional question.

In the Chicagoland area if a home has a finished basement th listing clearly states it a shows pictures as it’s a plus to most buyers. Our basement basically sold our last home. We had extensive pictures and information pertaining to it as it was 1600 sq and had 10ft ceilings, a bar/rec area, family room, full bath, kids playroom & huge storage closet.

In our area if a basement is not finished then photos a usually not shown of it as people just want to know if it’s a full basement and if it’s a deep pour. Most homes here don’t have the laundry room in the basements.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 1,574,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A seller would post pictures of an underwhelming basement to indicate its size and its ceiling height. Properly taken such a picture would show location and condition of utility and laundry equipment and orientation of water and sewer lines as well as areas generally unusable for occupation due to low beams, piping and ductwork. It could also show location of stairs and outside access and location of windows.

Foundation construction and evidence of water intrusion could be seen as well as the presence of a sump pump, if any. A dry bar, wet bar or simply built in storage shelving could be seen. Need I go on?
If you're getting into that much depth, you'd be interested enough to actually go look at the house in person. You can't tell a whole lot from pictures of any kind. The pictures on the real estate ad are meant to intrigue a casual buyer or a buyer in a buyer's market. (Serious buyers who need to buy a home in the near future, such as those who are relocating for a job or who have decided to buy a home but need to vacate their prior home, etc. are going to go look at almost any home that meets their basic criteria. They will look at online photos, too, but unless there's something truly horrifying, they probably aren't going to refuse to see a home that would otherwise meet their criteria.)

Old 02-10-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of my friends has an elevator to the basement... just a regular house but his father in law owned a elevator service company... no need to lug heavy items up and down the stairs.
Elevators in houses always just make me think that's a way to die in your house. Elevator malfunctions and no one knows you're there for who knows how long?

Prince died in his elevator.

I'd take a pass. Or if I ended up in a home with an elevator, I'd only sends goods in it.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Elevators in houses always just make me think that's a way to die in your house. Elevator malfunctions and no one knows you're there for who knows how long?

Prince died in his elevator.

I'd take a pass. Or if I ended up in a home with an elevator, I'd only sends goods in it.
Prince ODed. That's what killed him. Not the elevator. He ODed like a week before and was brought back....barely.

Today people have cell phones. Most people can't be away from them for 2 seconds. Typically, they work in elevators.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Prince ODed. That's what killed him. Not the elevator. He ODed like a week before and was brought back....barely.

Today people have cell phones. Most people can't be away from them for 2 seconds. Typically, they work in elevators.
He also OD'd in the elevator.

All it takes is your cell phone not working in the elevator, the battery dying or you being unconscious and therefore not able to make a telephone call. And not everyone has their phone on their person at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or