U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,058,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
He also OD'd in the elevator.

All it takes is your cell phone not working in the elevator, the battery dying or you being unconscious and therefore not able to make a telephone call. And not everyone has their phone on their person at all times.
When your time is up, it's up. Don't blame the elevator! You could just as easily be unconscious in the bathroom, living room, kitchen, bedroom, backyard, garage, etc.

Even living with a bunch of people doesn't always save you. I know a man who had a heart attack at 42 in his garage. Wife was a nurse. He called her at work. She got her co-worker from across the street to go over and help him until 911 got there. He died anyway. He was home alone, but even if anyone else was home and called 911 right away, he still would have died because of the condition his heart was in. He mowed the lawn the day before and felt perfectly fine!

Oh and I did say most people not everyone keeps their phone on them all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:17 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,390,875 times
BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SUMP PUMP!!! [backbutton!]

Old 02-11-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I agree, I think this is more a regional question.

In the Chicagoland area if a home has a finished basement th listing clearly states it a shows pictures as itís a plus to most buyers. Our basement basically sold our last home. We had extensive pictures and information pertaining to it as it was 1600 sq and had 10ft ceilings, a bar/rec area, family room, full bath, kids playroom & huge storage closet.

In our area if a basement is not finished then photos a usually not shown of it as people just want to know if itís a full basement and if itís a deep pour. Most homes here donít have the laundry room in the basements.
The fact that it's different in different states makes it a national question by definition.

Not sure if the OP is right or wrong, but the question of basements and their perceived value and the value of pictures or not is also a national question.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am in NJ. Most houses around here have a true basement with 7 foot or higher ceilings. Sometimes the listing will even point out a finished basement, yet you still donít see a picture. I would like to see a picture of the basement whether it is finished or not. Even if the basement is unfinished or finished and not in good condition, people will understand as itís just a basement.

Is there a reason why this is the case? We are generally talking about homes that are under 2000 sq feet, not like these are huge houses and the additional space or potential space to finish is a big deal.
When you say "listing", are you using a realtor site?

Or an aggregated site like Trulia?

Maybe it's your realtor doing crappy photos.

Of course you'd want to see basement photos. And of course I'd guess that most realtors would prefer to leave A LOT OF those basement photos out of sight and out of mind>

Old 02-11-2018, 06:43 AM

10,403 posts, read 7,488,333 times
I'm in CT and this applies to us as well. Our basement is cluttered with (his) tools and storage. It has poor lighting. It also has some ??? things that you wouldn't want advertised. (working on those) It has the potential for being a finished space, and the plumbing is there for a half bath. (I desperately want to add that). It's just not a pretty place you'd want pictures of.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
sounds like a NJ question, not a nation-wide RE question
Didn't seem to be a problem in the epic Boston specific thread focused on a one of a kind property that had about 85 replies, though.

5 were yours and one was the threadcloser, even though you're in NC. LOL

Why hasn't this Boston area home sold?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:36 AM

1,528 posts, read 727,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Didn't seem to be a problem in the epic Boston specific thread focused on a one of a kind property that had about 85 replies, though.

5 were yours and one was the threadcloser, even though you're in NC. LOL

Why hasn't this Boston area home sold?
We should all broaden our horizons and realize we are on an international forum. I did think it was a bizarre comment that a thread about basements is specific to NJ. I have no idea what the basis for such a comment would be: People in NJ have a very different attitude toward basements? More interest in them? Less interest? They are considered offensive and vulgar to delicate NJ sensibilities? Only NJ homes have basements? Homes in NJ have dead bodies in the basements? Who knows?

Just another one to throw on the pile of things that are just said but make no sense.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:30 AM

2,045 posts, read 951,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SUMP PUMP!!! [backbutton!]
What's wrong with a sump pump? I have a sump pump and a whole-house gas generator for when the power goes down. Which can keep the sump pump going and my whole house. And French drains.

So when the big storms comes, I'll have a dry basement and power and heat.

It depends on the area, but around here, that is seen as a plus. I certainly saw it that way!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:34 AM

6,121 posts, read 3,324,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm in CT and this applies to us as well. Our basement is cluttered with (his) tools and storage. It has poor lighting. It also has some ??? things that you wouldn't want advertised. (working on those) It has the potential for being a finished space, and the plumbing is there for a half bath. (I desperately want to add that). It's just not a pretty place you'd want pictures of.
If that was in the kitchen you'd do something about it. Why would the basement be exempt from that?

Old 02-11-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
What's wrong with a sump pump? I have a sump pump and a whole-house gas generator for when the power goes down. Which can keep the sump pump going and my whole house. And French drains.

So when the big storms comes, I'll have a dry basement and power and heat.

It depends on the area, but around here, that is seen as a plus. I certainly saw it that way!
Yes I know lots of people live with wet/damp basements. But they won't work for me because they set off allergies and sinus problems.

The MINUTE I walk into a property I can tell that they have a moisture-type problem just from smelling, then later my nose starts to itch.

But that was good to get the French drain work done to help with the grading and flooding problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or