U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,058,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SUMP PUMP!!! [backbutton!]
Many basements don't have a sump pump. I don't. I don't have a water problem either. A sump pump isn't a bad thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If that was in the kitchen you'd do something about it. Why would the basement be exempt from that?
Many people have cluttered basements. Out of sight, out of mind. Everyone doesn't have a neat and tidy kitchen either. Everyone isn't a neat freak. Personally, I don't care what folks keep in their basements or what it looks like.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 1,216,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
What's wrong with a sump pump? I have a sump pump and a whole-house gas generator for when the power goes down. Which can keep the sump pump going and my whole house. And French drains.

So when the big storms comes, I'll have a dry basement and power and heat.

It depends on the area, but around here, that is seen as a plus. I certainly saw it that way!
When the housing market tanked so bad I had one agent that I'd go look at the ugly homes with and try and buy stuff that was overly punished. Not many places have basements here, but some of the older ones do. From the basements I've seen, I can understand why they don't have them.

One place looked a bit rough, but was otherwise in decent shape. There was a funk that we could both smell, and around the mostly abandoned house were remnents of air freshners, but the otherwise the place seemed ok. For the price it looked like a deal of deals, but there was something very wrong. We walked the perimeter and found the old school exterior door on the ground to go into the basement. Opened it and the smell was horrendous...black brackish water was up to the edge...you couldn't even go down more than a single step.

What's odd is it gets really dry here. Thats why our hills burn up in the summer. Maybe it was a burst sewer pipe or something...but neither one of us could figure out how that much water possibly got there. We decided we'd let someone else figure that one out.

Towards the end of the buying spree, I came across one in a bad part of town. It was the nicest home on the block syndrome, but oh, what a home. Two story, immaculate care and a backyard that included a full covered entertainment area with room for two living rooms and a bar, with cooking already attached. Amazing. The price was far too low. I was mystified. I was looking ready to buy, did a final walk and said...oh a basement, and they deflated. To their credit it was easy to see and they had dislosed sump pump in the basement. The basement had been expoxyed somehow and the water flowed neatly and cleanly to a sump pump in every corner, but unfortunately it was smack dab in the middle of a natural spring. Foundation vs spring....seemed like a bad bet to take.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:31 PM

2,050 posts, read 953,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes I know lots of people live with wet/damp basements. But they won't work for me because they set off allergies and sinus problems.

The MINUTE I walk into a property I can tell that they have a moisture-type problem just from smelling, then later my nose starts to itch.

But that was good to get the French drain work done to help with the grading and flooding problem.
I don't have a wet basement. I have a sump pump. You seem to be having a hard time with this concept

Old 02-11-2018, 07:15 PM

304 posts, read 91,975 times
I agree OP, when I was house shopping I wanted to see the basements. I'm in NJ too so of course most homes have basements and anyone growing up here knows that they can be ok to have, great to have or miserable to have. A bad basement is a deal breaker so maybe that is why they do not show it?

The house I bought had a nice open-design fully finished basement with a 1/4 bath, a separate laundry room and a separate work room. The previous owners used the large bright area as a guest room. Sound's nice and ideal right? But we've had multiple floods from that downstairs toilet. We also flooded due to a clogged french drain that we didn't know we had on the property (we know that's not on the code here!). So we got the high ceilings with recessed lighting, laundry and shop room we wanted but we still have water issues and an unusable toilet. Typical jersey basement- sigh.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 PM

6,122 posts, read 3,324,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Many people have cluttered basements. Out of sight, out of mind. Everyone doesn't have a neat and tidy kitchen either. Everyone isn't a neat freak. Personally, I don't care what folks keep in their basements or what it looks like.
I don't care either but the topic here is marketing a house for sale. If any part of the property is going to detract from getting the house sold at a good price that should be addressed. Even if it is the basement.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't care either but the topic here is marketing a house for sale. If any part of the property is going to detract from getting the house sold at a good price that should be addressed. Even if it is the basement.
Many people don't clean their house to sell it. It's kind of amazing that there are people who will live like pigs while trying to sell their house. Can't imagine why no one views it or they are offered 75 cents.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:51 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,390,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Many basements don't have a sump pump. I don't. I don't have a water problem either. A sump pump isn't a bad thing!
Maybe that's why my attempt at humor didn't register with you.

They most certainly ARE a bad thing for people with dampness and mold sensitivities. They're a clear signal that we would never want to buy that property.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:53 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,390,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I don't have a wet basement. I have a sump pump. You seem to be having a hard time with this concept
Funny you misquoted me. I said wet/damp.

Here's the concept:

If you didn't NEED a sump pump you wouldn't HAVE a sump pump. You even confirmed that it's CURRENTLY in use.

QUOTE:
Quote:
have a sump pump and a whole-house gas generator for when the power goes down. Which can keep the sump pump going
Quote:
So when the big storms comes, I'll have a dry basement
What is it pumping? Air?

So tell me what I'm missing. Like I'm a six year old.

Maybe by "dry" you mean only a FEW inches of water and not a foot.

I gave you a perfectly polite and MEDICAL reason why I wouldn't buy your house. No reason to get offended and make a personal attack that doesn't even make sense. You'll have plenty of other buyers - but not me.

Edited to Add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
I agree OP, when I was house shopping I wanted to see the basements. I'm in NJ too so of course most homes have basements and anyone growing up here knows that they can be ok to have, great to have or miserable to have. A bad basement is a deal breaker so maybe that is why they do not show it?

The house I bought had a nice open-design fully finished basement with a 1/4 bath, a separate laundry room and a separate work room. The previous owners used the large bright area as a guest room. Sound's nice and ideal right? But we've had multiple floods from that downstairs toilet. We also flooded due to a clogged french drain that we didn't know we had on the property (we know that's not on the code here!). So we got the high ceilings with recessed lighting, laundry and shop room we wanted but we still have water issues and an unusable toilet. Typical jersey basement- sigh.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-12-2018 at 04:04 AM..

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM

7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
Because basements are always a problem. Always. (just my experience)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or