U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 08:03 AM

228 posts, read 453,951 times

Advertisements

We have our primary house in Denver Colorado and a mountain property also in Colorado.

We are retired and the kids are almost on their own so want to sell both of these and buy a single new property also likely in Colorado.

The mountain property appreciated somewhat, the primary Denver property appreciated a lot.

I am thinking about selling (or at least attempting to sell) the mountain property this year and then sell the Denver property the following year and then turn around and put all or at least most of the money back into a new place in the same year we sell the Denver house.

I am wondering how tax's will work on this and if it would be best to just do all three of these transactions in the same tax year? It will be easier to do the plan where we take two years to do this but wanted to understand how the tax will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM

10,482 posts, read 27,470,203 times
Sell one. Move into the other. Sell the other one two years after that.

Wait until summer to sell the mountain one.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:01 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,961,453 times
If the Denver house is your primary residence and you have lived in it for 24 of the last 60 months when you sell, up to $250K gain (single) or $500K gain (married) is not taxed. Everything above those numbers is taxed as a long term capital gain in the year sold. Any gain on the sale of your mountain home, assuming you've owned it longer than year, will be a long term capital gain in the year sold (now is a good time to get your info together on costs and improvements).

Long term gains are taxed at 0 to 20%, depending on the amount of your other taxable income. Check the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet in the 1040 instructions as to how that works.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM

6,135 posts, read 6,562,872 times
I'll add that whether or not you purchase another house will have no bearing upon the amount of tax you might owe from the sale of your primary residence and your mountain property. If your mountain property is a second home (I'm assuming that it is), then are you open to moving there as 2bindenver suggests? Has it ever been rented? If so, I'd recommend that you talk with a tax professional since that would impact how much gain would be excluded on the sale of that property if you decided to live there two years. (If the gain would be relatively small, moving there would likely be an unnecessary complication.) It might be good to talk to a tax professional regardless.

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

19,182 posts, read 22,538,213 times
With just that infirmation, I am going to jump to the conclusion that the primary house is eligible for the homeowners exemption. If so, I'd sell the primary house tax free and sell the mountain house and just pay capital gains on it. If it hasn't appreciated much, the tax bite won't be awful.

Just get both sold this spring and then take the money and buy your new place.

Tax law changes so it is a risk to make real estate plans for the future based on today's tax laws. You know what the law is right now, so just get it done and over with.

Old Today, 09:08 AM

791 posts, read 692,399 times
Does the value of the sale of those properties, either in the same year or in separate years, apply to means testing for medical insurance, i.e., Medicare? If the OP is on Medicare, this might be pertinent. Plus I'd like to know since I'm in a similar boat. Maybe this belongs in the health insurance forum, but it seems relevant to this post as well. If it does, the monthly medical insurance premium will take a hit, as I understand it, for the years in which the sale is reported to the IRS. Can anyone clarify?

Old Today, 10:01 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,961,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Does the value of the sale of those properties, either in the same year or in separate years, apply to means testing for medical insurance, i.e., Medicare? If the OP is on Medicare, this might be pertinent. Plus I'd like to know since I'm in a similar boat. Maybe this belongs in the health insurance forum, but it seems relevant to this post as well. If it does, the monthly medical insurance premium will take a hit, as I understand it, for the years in which the sale is reported to the IRS. Can anyone clarify?
The sale of your primary residence is simply not reported as it is excluded from income, so that will have no effect on your Medicare premiums. Any gains from the sale of a second home are included in your income so, depending on the amount, they could cause an increase in your part B premium two years later (2018 income will determine 2020 premiums). If there is a loss on the sale of a second home, the loss is likely not deductible but there will be no gain reported on your return.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10536.pdf

Old Today, 12:28 PM

791 posts, read 692,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The sale of your primary residence is simply not reported as it is excluded from income, so that will have no effect on your Medicare premiums. Any gains from the sale of a second home are included in your income so, depending on the amount, they could cause an increase in your part B premium two years later (2018 income will determine 2020 premiums). If there is a loss on the sale of a second home, the loss is likely not deductible but there will be no gain reported on your return.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10536.pdf
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. Have a great day - you've made mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate