U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 PM

3,173 posts, read 2,740,271 times

Advertisements

In a seller's market, maybe there is an incentive to find a "dual agency" agent at a big firm, with the thought that bigger firms may have “office exclusive” listings, and will give their agents first crack at new listings. Not sure how ethical these practices ("pocket listings", etc) are, but they do happen.

When I bought, the housing market was down (buyer's market); I used an exclusive buyer's agent and was glad I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:46 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
What do you all think about an agent who won’t commit to working with you until she meets you face to face to see if you click with each other?
I respect the heck out of that.
Consider that when the agent DOES commit to a client, she should have a much better idea of the clients' desires.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Quote:
What do you all think about an agent who won’t commit to working with you until she meets you face to face to see if you click with each other?
Some very good agents have that policy. There are good business reasons for it.

For some, it's also an important safety issue. Consider for a moment, the issues of a lone female agent, meeting a client for the first time at a vacant house.

My husband and I travel together all the time, we work as a team, so we usually feel pretty safe when meeting new clients, but still, sometimes it's very good to sit a while and talk... though we usually choose to meet at a restaurant someplace, rather than the office... that's just our style.

It's certainly not a bad policy.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:53 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

For some, it's also an important safety issue. Consider for a moment, the issues of a lone female agent, meeting a client for the first time at a vacant house.

My husband and I travel together all the time, we work as a team, so we usually feel pretty safe when meeting new clients, but still, sometimes it's very good to sit a while and talk... though we usually choose to meet at a restaurant someplace, rather than the office... that's just our style.

Yup.

Mike J

Old 02-20-2018, 05:57 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I respect the heck out of that.
Consider that when the agent DOES commit to a client, she should have a much better idea of the clients' desires.
That’s what I thought. I’ve found my agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Smart policy Diana. You have to be careful these days.

Thanks to everyone again. All your advice has been invaluable.

Meanwhile the “exclusive buyers agent” I talked to for the first time yesterday morning has called me twice and emailed me once before noon today asking if I’ve made a decision on an agent yet.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:08 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
Need = no.

Want = yes.

Interview several potential, local to the property, agents or brokers. Talk to them about dual agency. Talk to them about their experience with buyers in this market. Make an intelligent hiring decision. You are partnering them to make an important buying decision.

We do not have dual agency in Colorado. We are a broker only license state.

I want to be a bulldog for my client throughout the transaction. I tell them I am your go-to even after I get paid. I will continue to try to solve the issues that come up or point them in the right direction.

If I show how much I care, the client will learn how much I know that could help them.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Quote:
Meanwhile the “exclusive buyers agent” I talked to for the first time yesterday morning has called me twice and emailed me once before noon today asking if I’ve made a decision on an agent yet.
At least he/she's eager!

Pick the one you like the best. Good luck... and keep us posted on your adventure!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Quote:
see above where the lady hated her agent. I think it's perfectly wise to actually meet first and then decide, rather than someone possibly get hurt feelings a month later (your feelings or hers).

If you're renting first, it REALLY shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:19 PM

3,583 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
We do not have dual agency in Colorado. We are a broker only license state.
Does that mean I would not be PERMITTED to buy a house in Colo. directly from the listing agent without involving another real estate agent?

Boy.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:34 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,992,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Does that mean I would not be PERMITTED to buy a house in Colo. directly from the listing agent without involving another real estate agent?

Boy.
I am not in that state, but you might be able to go in as an unrepresented buyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate