Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:45 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This shows a lack of understanding of our business model. In 2018, a good real estate agent is a consultant, not a salesman at all. We don't sell anything. We are project managers for the purchase of real estate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is the point the agent trolls don't understand. They seem to think that any one commission matters and we chase it to the exclusion of the legitimate interests of the client. The truth, for a good agent, is that any one commission is irrelevant and the lifetime permanent relationship with the client is what we value. One client can lead to 20 other deals if they are treated well and if we have their trust and affection. We exist to protect their interests and act as counsellors. THAT is how we get the MOST commissions.

From the NAR:
A REALTOR® is a licensed real estate salesperson who belongs to the National Association of REALTORS®, the largest trade group in the country.

We all know that many sales people across all kinds of industries call themselves consultants, counselors, advisors, client partners, etc, etc, etc.

So frankly it's gag inducing to sit there using all kinds of new names that you think sound better to people. Just be transparent and use simple terms aligned to your function. The model has not changed so the only thing about 2018 is fashion, and yes, it's fashionable to make up new names for sales people. There's nothing wrong with salespeople. Just be clear about what you are and how you get paid.

Let's put aside all of the adopted names and be simple and clear. If you are paid by sales commission and/or measured by sales made, you are a sales person. Some commission plans have a mix of things like client satisfaction, ongoing revenue, client retention, and sales contract value. A real estate agent's commission plan is based on sales 100% so it's as "pure sales" as it gets. And it's a sales culture with recognition top performers based on production.

All good salespeople across all industries want repeat business and referrals and long term clients. They balance doing deals with their reputations. That doesn't turn you into something else. Sales as a discipline has become more sophisticated but it's still sales.

Frankly it's startling that we are fighting because real estate agents decided that it's 2018 and they can't be called salespeople any longer. I think i've seen it all now.

Last edited by just_because; 02-19-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 11:54 AM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
JB why do you think you're the only one allowed to spin all the definitions to suit your narrow viewpoint? Are you saying our entire role is defined in one sentence? Really? And we're not allowed our own opinion about what our job is?

Agents are telling you how WE define our jobs and what our duties and responsibilities are to our clients. The key IF you are a consumer, is to find one who does the job you want them to do.

We do have a right to define our own business and our own role in the process.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-19-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
JB why do you think you're the only one allowed to spin all the definitions to suit your narrow viewpoint? Are you saying our entire role is defined in one sentence? Really? And we're not allowed our own opinion about what our job is?

Agents are telling you how WE define our jobs and what our duties and responsibilities are to our clients. The key IF you are a consumer, is to find one who does the job you want them to do.

Of course you're correct that consulting and advising is part of the job for most agents except possibly in the TB states but don't waste too much time feeding the trolls. 90+% of the public is intelligent enough to see right through him and the OP nailed him right away. As it is when we as a group (I'm guilty also) continue to debate with him we are equally responsibility for yet another derailed thread.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:25 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Thanks to everyone who responded. I received much more information than I expected.

As an update, I spoke with the exclusive buyers agent. This is an agency that only represents buyers and doesn’t work for sellers at all. I’ve decided to go with a regular agency instead. I explained that we were going to move out and rent first so we could be familiar with the area before buying a home. The response was that there shouldn’t be a problem to buy long distance. It was his opinion that a quick trip out would be enough to know all the neighborhoods and make a good decision. When I explained I would rather rent first, there was some pressure to forgo renting and buy now.

I asked about being able to terminate the agreement unilaterally as Mike suggested. The answer was that I would have to tell them why I wanted to terminate the agreement and give them a chance to fix it. If I still wasn’t happy after that, I could terminate. That seems fair but the push to buy now didn’t sit well with me.

I’m down to two agents. One has a split between buyers and sellers; the other works with 70% sellers and 30% buyers. It doesn’t seem like that big a difference.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I agree with you but remember that I had accusations of 'lies', 'faulty', etc. Simply for restating what the NAR says (cooperative sales model, etc).

I don't disagree with you that all roles including real estate agents have different aspects to them and you can see them in different ways. I have no disagreement with an agent saying that they advise clients, counsel clients, project manage the process, etc. But what I disagree with is someone saying that they are not a salesperson when they are paid 100% with sales commission! That's misleading to consumers and different from everything that even your own industry association says. And it sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows anything.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM

Good Luck Mike!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Congratulations on your move and welcome to the SE! Charlotte is only about an hour from me. I think it's a cool city and I hope you love it.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I agree with you but remember that I had accusations of 'lies', 'faulty', etc. Simply for restating what the NAR says (cooperative sales model, etc).

I don't disagree with you that all roles including real estate agents have different aspects to them and you can see them in different ways. I have no disagreement with an agent saying that they advise clients, counsel clients, project manage the process, etc. But what I disagree with is someone saying that they are not a salesperson when they are paid 100% with sales commission! That's misleading to consumers and different from everything that even your own industry association says. And it sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows anything.
JB the only thing that sounds ridiculous is you picking apart every single statement some of us make here as if your differing opinion indicates some moral imperative that must be corrected. Accusations go both ways here.

You're a welcome part of the conversation here (at least by me)... but you're not the moral and ethical arbiter of all truth in Real Estate and sometimes the conversation would be better served by just letting posts speak for themselves. The consumer you claim to speak for can choose what they want to take in just fine.

What they get lost in is the nitpicking over minutia... because frankly who, besides us, has the time?

My two cents.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
JB the only thing that sounds ridiculous is you picking apart every single statement some of us make here as if your differing opinion indicates some moral imperative that must be corrected. Accusations go both ways here.

You're a welcome part of the conversation here (at least by me)... but you're not the moral and ethical arbiter of all truth in Real Estate and sometimes the conversation would be better served by just letting posts speak for themselves. The consumer you claim to speak for can choose what they want to take in just fine.

What they get lost in is the nitpicking over minutia... because frankly who, besides us, has the time?

My two cents.
I don't think that saying it's lies that buyer's agents get paid with sales commission or that they sell cooperatively with the seller's agent is minutia. That's a pretty fundamental aspect of the model. I get that people don't like me saying it or maybe don't like the way I say it but it's misinformation to say that it's a lie.

I do not try to be a moral authority on anything and I am always happy to be corrected. Unfortunately many agents here don't like when people challenge what they say. I get that there are egos involved as you pointed out previously but I think correct and clear information is more important than egos.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:08 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m down to two agents. One has a split between buyers and sellers; the other works with 70% sellers and 30% buyers. It doesn’t seem like that big a difference.
I don't see a big difference, either. Of course, Buyers and Sellers have different perspectives, but the fundamental issues being dealt with are still the same. Just make sure that the agent that you select represents you and you alone. Don't allow for a dual agency situation to arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate