U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times

Advertisements

Wondering how the zillow database works in terms of off markets vs. solds

I save a property that is for sale.
Later it either turns gray/off market, or yellow/sold.

There seem to be a high percentage of gray/listing removed and I suspect they are actually solds.

Is this because the selling realtor elects to remove them from their own database that zillow
pulls from differently somehow?
Or maybe zillow pulls the listing from a local mls vs. a realtor actually submits a listing to zillow as well?

In a tough market you could theoretically go back to a removed from market and contact
the seller to see if they want to consider a sale. But you wouldn't want to do that with a sold
obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:12 AM

46 posts, read 28,192 times
Zillow is pulling automatically from MLS feeds.
A Realtor would be your best source for accurate real estate information.

Not sure what your goal is - but its very common for Realtors to reach out to expired listings to see if they still want to sell. More so in a tight inventory market and especially if they have a buyer seeking a specific type of property.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:47 AM

7,754 posts, read 6,110,007 times
it seems to have no rhyme nor reason of late. I've had homes sell that were just called "off market". Your Realtor can get the accurate info for you

Old 02-21-2018, 12:33 PM

13,740 posts, read 31,550,338 times
Zillow pulls from MLS feeds as well as from county databases. They have multiple sources of information.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:35 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Zillow pulls from MLS feeds as well as from county databases. They have multiple sources of information.
And, they don't get all agents' data, as not all agents release their listings to Z.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:23 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,052,415 times
Do NOT believe Zillow. Our house was under contract and had passed inspection, just waiting for buyer to sell his condo first, but Zillow showed it as Off The Market.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 1,347 times
No realtor uses zillow, their info is often outdated. This is what multiple realtors have told me and explains why the majority of the properties I find on that site are already sold or off market. Realtor.com is the most accurate you're going to get without a direct mls feed from your own realtor.

I just bought a house last year and zillow shows my purchase price of 10x what I actually paid.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:00 PM

10,374 posts, read 4,079,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyourselfer View Post
No realtor uses zillow, their info is often outdated. This is what multiple realtors have told me and explains why the majority of the properties I find on that site are already sold or off market. Realtor.com is the most accurate you're going to get without a direct mls feed from your own realtor.

I just bought a house last year and zillow shows my purchase price of 10x what I actually paid.
Well, realtor.com has it's own issues like not listing about half the houses available, and not listing for sale by owners. I would have no idea how many houses are for sale in an area if I relied on realtor.com alone. I see newly listed houses on Zillow and Trulia every day that realtor.com never lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or