Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 04:53 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times

Advertisements

This can't be normal right?

I noticed this house when it was listed in June 2016 since IMO it was priced well below market value, although the listing did say it needed repairs.

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/.../home/43946844

It went under contract within 2 weeks, however a year and 3 months later I'm pretty sure it's still showing up as under contract according to most websites, including a local one I use that I've found to be the most accurate. Realtor.com does show it as off-market but doesn't list a sold price.

I'm not trying to buy it, just curious if there's something weird going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 06:01 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
It might be a short sale that hasn't been resolved, yet. Or, it could be a probate issue or something similar where everyone wants to move forward once a legal stumbling block is cleared. I can think of other scenarios, too, including someone screwing up and not changing the MLS.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:28 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Since realtor.com shows that the house is "Off Market", perhaps the owner decided just not to sell. It could be that, if it was under contract, that the buyers backed out after the inspection. Although the photos didn't show the need for any obvious repairs, they could have decided to do some repairs in order to get a better sales price. Lots of possibilities. But, yes, it would be unusual for a house to be under contract for over 15 months.

HOWEVER, when I read your title I thought that I could have written something similar. I just did a closing last week where it took over 15 1/2 months to get the contract to closing! That was the longest delayed closing I've ever experienced...and hopefully it will be the last!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:43 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Since realtor.com shows that the house is "Off Market", perhaps the owner decided just not to sell. It could be that, if it was under contract, that the buyers backed out after the inspection. Although the photos didn't show the need for any obvious repairs, they could have decided to do some repairs in order to get a better sales price. Lots of possibilities. But, yes, it would be unusual for a house to be under contract for over 15 months.

HOWEVER, when I read your title I thought that I could have written something similar. I just did a closing last week where it took over 15 1/2 months to get the contract to closing! That was the longest delayed closing I've ever experienced...and hopefully it will be the last!
The dining room ceiling looks water damaged with a stain radiating from the far wall. It might be a simple issue but possible that the extent of the damage is either unknown or known to be pretty extensive. Or the source of the water may not have been identified and fixed, leading to even more uncertainties.

Speaking of ceilings, nice tall ceilings in that place.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Sounds like it could be a short sale. When we were looking up here to buy, we looked at a house that showed it was active. It made our short list, though we could tell it had some deferred maintenance. A few months later, we went in and looked at it again (it had even more deferred maintenance) and removed it from our short list. Turns out, it was a short sale that had an offer on it from well over a year before. The buyers were willing to wait. While it was a nice, spacious home, it was going to need a decent amount of money put into it to bring it back up to even the asking price.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I've seen houses under contract for 7-8 months.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:35 AM

116 posts, read 143,900 times
Must be a short sale....They don't always take THAT long..but it happens....

Old 09-28-2017, 12:12 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
The dining room ceiling looks water damaged with a stain radiating from the far wall. It might be a simple issue but possible that the extent of the damage is either unknown or known to be pretty extensive. Or the source of the water may not have been identified and fixed, leading to even more uncertainties.

Speaking of ceilings, nice tall ceilings in that place.
Definitely looks like water damage. This could have caused the inspection to fail so it was pulled off the market. You can't go by Red Fin, Zillow, or Trulia for much. They all have a ton of incorrect info.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Rent to own?

Old 02-23-2018, 06:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Bump...

Yes it's a short sale. I know they can take awhile but this seems extreme. Looks like it was updated today, but just says Under Contract again without going back to Active (or Off Market) at all as far as I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate