Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:31 AM

42 posts, read 29,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yep.

I doubt this is something worth reporting to the bar. He has just gotten used to doing transactions in a way that is easiest for THEM, which is by FedEx, and he is going to charge you a little extra for making him show up in person and sit down with you.

The problem is that he hasn't trained his paralegal to be better at selling this option.
that last sentence mad me laugh..thanks, needed to ease my anxiety a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I would not sign the POA. I worked as a paralegal for a real estate firm in another state, but did work in NJ as a legal assistant before there was any such thing as a paralegal. I do not believe it is common practice in NJ to handle closings in this manner (but I have been wrong once or twice in my life and things do change over time). I have an issue that you were not advised of the extra charge and this procedure when you first contacted this lawyer and those 2 issues are why I would let the attorney know you are going to make a complaint with your county's Bar Association.

As a real estate/estate planning paralegal, I would not have worked in a litigation firm or one that handled tax issues.

Lesson to be learned: litigators are to real estate lawyers as a heart surgeon is to a podiatrist.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:03 AM

42 posts, read 29,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I would not sign the POA. I worked as a paralegal for a real estate firm in another state, but did work in NJ as a legal assistant before there was any such thing as a paralegal. I do not believe it is common practice in NJ to handle closings in this manner (but I have been wrong once or twice in my life and things do change over time). I have an issue that you were not advised of the extra charge and this procedure when you first contacted this lawyer and those 2 issues are why I would let the attorney know you are going to make a complaint with your county's Bar Association.

As a real estate/estate planning paralegal, I would not have worked in a litigation firm or one that handled tax issues.

Lesson to be learned: litigators are to real estate lawyers as a heart surgeon is to a podiatrist.
Thank you for your insightful information. It makes it clear to me that I am not just feeling anxious for little or no reason. My hand may be tied on signing the POA cause I don't want to delay the closing for the sake of the buyers. I should also mention that the buyer were going to use the same lawyer but when my agent told them I was planning to use him, the buyers had to switch to a different lawyer. maybe that is where the bs stems partly from.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:07 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athebodeau View Post
I think you might have found the answer. I do feel that the lawyer shouldn't be doing real estate and the paralegal does all the work but sign on the dotted line. these types of lawyers need to stick with one or a few specialties and leave the rest to more qualified professionals.
Do keep notes on everything and copies of everything. Just in case something comes up later. All the best. Let us know when you close and how it goes.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:12 PM

220 posts, read 145,527 times
I don't know how real estate law works there in Union County, NJ, but having spent most every working day of my 40+ year career working with the nation's top lawyers, I cannot imagine myself agreeing with such nonsense. What does the title company say about that proposed arrangement?

Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I would stand my ground and demand to know exactly why they want to charge you an extra $150 for something that is causing them no extra work.

I would not pay this fee.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athebodeau View Post
I am selling my home, closing is on Feb 28th at the buyers attorney in NJ, Union County. My lawyers paralegal tried telling me not to attend the closing.
she told me basically to sign over POA to the lawyer....sorry but she has been the main contact and I am very unhappy so no I wont sign POA and I am attending to collect my money...she even tried saying since I am also using them for the house I am buying, they usually keep the money til after that closing, but since I need my money for another deposit they will cut me a check next day. Today she sent an email asking if I can come to the office on the 27th to sign my documents. I replied back that I am not avaialbale til the closing which I am able to attend and will sign all documents there and I decline POA. she said the lawyer, who is away, usually doesn't work this way and will have to talk to me.
can I attend and get my check at the closing?

I would have fired this law firm if I knew all the bs earlier, too late now

Of course you can go to the closing & get your check. Why you would want to, as a seller, is beyond me. Why you didn't make time to sign all you had to before the day of the closing is also beyond me.

Could have had the check overnighted to you.

That $150 fee is because most lawyers charge a travel fee if a closing doesn't take place at their office.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I would stand my ground and demand to know exactly why they want to charge you an extra $150 for something that is causing them no extra work.

I would not pay this fee.
Closing isn't at the OPs attorney's office.

Travel fee.

BTDT & paid for it.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
I don't know how real estate law works there in Union County, NJ, but having spent most every working day of my 40+ year career working with the nation's top lawyers, I cannot imagine myself agreeing with such nonsense. What does the title company say about that proposed arrangement?

What could a title company possibly HAVE to say?

They aren't the lawyers involved in the closing.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
This was also discussed in the NJ forum. This is common practice in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate