U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 04:33 AM

18,371 posts, read 18,639,351 times

Advertisements

Friend has a closing date but buyers title company says there are open permits.
She just bought the house about a year ago and used a different title company.
Shouldn't they have discovered this?

Second question...should her real estate agent , as part of her service, check into this?
She told my friend to do it and she has no idea how to go about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 07:03 AM

5,123 posts, read 7,686,322 times
Our county (Manatee) has a website where she can check for open permits. My understanding is that an open permit isn't really a cloud on the title (i.e. it doesn't prevent a seller from providing a "clear" title) but it does run with the property. I'm basing that on a transaction I had once for a condo where the owner literally changed the roof design (with the condo association's permission) but never closed out the permit. I pushed my buyer to NOT go through with it until it was resolved but she decided to go ahead anyway and there was no problem with transferring the property.

Some home inspectors check for open permits, some title companies check, some agents check. I don't think there is a standard of any sort, though, and her contract to purchase has, no doubt, a section that discusses open permits and how to handle them.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM

13,757 posts, read 31,678,812 times
Title companies worry about open permits because of construction liens that might still be in play for unpaid work. Title companies have different policies for risk management. It sounds like the new title company might require them to be closed, but if they are older it might be past the point where the other title company was worried about a construction lien.

Yes, most agents would generally make a few calls and help their clients navigate what they need to do.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:29 PM

982 posts, read 570,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Title companies worry about open permits because of construction liens that might still be in play for unpaid work. Title companies have different policies for risk management. It sounds like the new title company might require them to be closed, but if they are older it might be past the point where the other title company was worried about a construction lien.

Yes, most agents would generally make a few calls and help their clients navigate what they need to do.
Great post.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 AM

Thanks for letting me know it can be looked up online.
Did so and found the two showing as never inspected ( not closed).
One for the roof (1999) and pool cage (2007)

Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 PM

13,757 posts, read 31,678,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Thanks for letting me know it can be looked up online.
Did so and found the two showing as never inspected ( not closed).
One for the roof (1999) and pool cage (2007)
This is why the other title company wasn't worried about them. They are old.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
This is why the other title company wasn't worried about them. They are old.
Yes. Now to convince the agent and her buyer.
The roof hardly matters since it's already been accepted that it needs replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or