U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 PM

8,224 posts, read 7,160,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I had a leak on my outdoor hot water heater. I saw it dripping and thought no big deal, $1700 later.....

Have you turned off ALL the water and checked the meter to see if it's running? If it does, you have a leak.

Otherwise have your meter tested. All of the above post haste!!!!
The "smart meter" is going to be replaced with a new one & the old one sent to be "analyzed".

We don't have a leak inside of the house (we don't have any outdoor water heaters) that is visible. The house should have floated away & down the street, if there had been an indoor leak. That wasn't running down a drain at the same time.

Also, the meter is reading "normal" usage for the property since the crazy high bill. Any leaks would still be...as we have not fixed any leaks, due to the fact there are none.

Had to be a running toilet, which is very hard to believe for this amount of an overage, or a meter malfunction. Ridiculous.

I had tenants living in a different property who had a "running toilet" and they'd adjust/jiggle the handle. Their extra charge? Around $100 for 3 months. Didn't say word one to me until I asked them if there was a toilet running, etc. when their water bill was "abnormally high".

It wasn't an additional $7,500 - give or take a hundred.

Last edited by Informed Info; 02-27-2018 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 10:20 PM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
My first thought, too...but the meter wouldn't register that.

Only what has come in to the building.
The meter measures everything from your property line in, there are any number of places you could have a leak and not know it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-27-2018, 10:34 PM

39,026 posts, read 37,675,762 times
Quote:

The meter will be sent to some "independent lab" in south NJ. Yeah, ok!

This is typical in these cases. One thing to watch for: They would probably have put in an old-fashioned meter while the smart meter is being tested, and those old meters tend to run slower, so your next bill won't be as high, then when the newer and more accurate meter is reinstalled your bill will go up again.

Part of the appeal for smart meters is that the city should be immediately tipped off to any extremes in usage, especially if you are only billed quarterly. Ask them why that did not happen here.

It will be interesting to see exactly what caused this.

As for the $8K, this exact billing scenario brought a change in our local water department policy just this month. If your water department doesn't have a cap on the amount you can be charged because of leaks you did not cause, then you need to go to your local elected city council and speak about your problem during the public comment time, and tell them they need to review their policy.

https://brentwoodhomepage.com/water-...ty-commission/

Old 02-27-2018, 10:36 PM

27,167 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I've seen that happen twice and the water line to the house had broken and was leaking. Because of the slope of the land around the house, it was going away from the house and wasn't noticed until a big bill. They hired a leak detection company that found it.

I know out here the city works with homeowners when that happens and generally adjusts the bill.
That's what I'm thinking too, otherwise that bill makes no sense.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:37 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,324,210 times
If no major leaks are detected (outdoor sprinkler system?), chances are that either the tenants intentionally ran up the bill (are they still living there & have you talked to them about the bill?), or the meter malfunctioned somehow. With that amount of water, it's not just a toilet running. The problem with many water authorities is that they can be unbending in their billing practices. Here they can even place a lien on your house if a water bill isn't paid.

Does a local TV station have a consumer reporter or such? Maybe they could look into your bill and provide some publicity about your plight. A little public pressure may be needed to get your bill adjusted. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The meter measures everything from your property line in, there are any number of places you could have a leak and not know it.
It all depends on where the meter is located. Around here, meters are typically inside the house, so any leak to the house wouldn't be metered.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 PM

278 posts, read 120,735 times
Quote:

The "Smart Water Meter" was installed at the end of the summer. Didn't have a choice but to comply.
Ding, ding, ding! Your problem is rooted right here. The trick will be as you've eluded to already is getting the city to admit the problem was with their new meter/billing system.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:46 PM

39,026 posts, read 37,675,762 times
Quote:
Nothing is leaking, no one has complained about a running toilet, etc. The outside spigot is off & doesn't have a handle on it. My husband had been in the building more than several times during the billing period (ended in January) and performed his end of the year individual unit inspection, of which there are four, in December. Saw nothing out of the ordinary, heard nothing out of the ordinary (such as running water).
It doesn't sound like you've had a plumber perform an in-depth inspection, though. That should be your first step.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:53 PM

27,167 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It all depends on where the meter is located. Around here, meters are typically inside the house, so any leak to the house wouldn't be metered.
It should measure any water from the street, otherwise you could run your sprinklers 24/7 for free, right?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It should measure any water from the street, otherwise you could run your sprinklers 24/7 for free, right?
I don't know how your sprinkler system is set up, but here the water to the sprinklers first goes through the house, after it is metered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or