U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,761,752 times

Advertisements

If it’s a smart meter, can they give you a day-to-day breakdown on water usage? Mine can. At least that way you can see if it’s been a high daily average or a huge spike.

My theory : One of those college students left a faucet running while they were gone for Christmas break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 02:25 AM

64,629 posts, read 66,129,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I've seen that happen twice and the water line to the house had broken and was leaking. Because of the slope of the land around the house, it was going away from the house and wasn't noticed until a big bill. They hired a leak detection company that found it.

I know out here the city works with homeowners when that happens and generally adjusts the bill.
but that is before the meter , i have not seen a water meter in the street pre house that gets read in any home we ever had

Old 02-28-2018, 03:47 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,632,131 times
Since there is no logical explanation for that high bill, and everything seems to be back to normal without any intervention, I'd refuse to pay the bill. It has to be a mistake on the suppliers part. Let them prove they actually supplied the water.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:54 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,203,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This is typical in these cases. One thing to watch for: They would probably have put in an old-fashioned meter while the smart meter is being tested, and those old meters tend to run slower, so your next bill won't be as high, then when the newer and more accurate meter is reinstalled your bill will go up again.

Part of the appeal for smart meters is that the city should be immediately tipped off to any extremes in usage, especially if you are only billed quarterly. Ask them why that did not happen here.

It will be interesting to see exactly what caused this.

As for the $8K, this exact billing scenario brought a change in our local water department policy just this month. If your water department doesn't have a cap on the amount you can be charged because of leaks you did not cause, then you need to go to your local elected city council and speak about your problem during the public comment time, and tell them they need to review their policy.

https://brentwoodhomepage.com/water-...ty-commission/

This is my first thought. Did they alert you about your extreme water usage? We're not talking about a $7 increase, we're talking about $7,000+ increase. Something should have been said. I either think it's a faulty meter AND/or shady billing practices.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:24 AM

251 posts, read 88,008 times
Find a new attorney, ensure you join any class actions against the city with owners with similar bill discrepancies.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:31 AM

7,598 posts, read 17,623,584 times
Are there neighbors or was work going on nearby? I once watched incredulously while a work crew hooked their hose up to my front yard spigot. Nary a knock at the door. Is there a neighbor's pool?
Any pressure watching projects nearby?

Old 02-28-2018, 05:39 AM

963 posts, read 557,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

I know out here the city works with homeowners when that happens and generally adjusts the bill.
We had that happen to us once and it was a faulty meter.

I went out and took video of the meter which would run backward and then forward.

The water company adjusted our bill to our normal amount.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:01 AM

7,598 posts, read 17,623,584 times
Of course the first response is a denial it is the meter. There very well may be known issues with smart meters, but admitting it would open the floodgates of homeowners contesting bills.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:26 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you Google it, you will find numerous problems with over-billing due to smart meters. Have any of your neighbors had problems with spikes in usage after smart meters were installed?

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...473027503.html

Skyrocketing water bills mystify, anger residents - CNN.com

"generally high bill complaints are either due to new meter accuracy and/or a billing multiplier error"
Good information. Perhaps OP you should walk around and talk to your neighbors near your building, see if anyone else is suffering this situation.

Plus, do further research, including the information provided by suzyq. You could plead your case with some substantial evidence.

You may even want to get the local media involved if you have a news station that does this type consumer investigation. You may be helping many others. That is what I would do before eating a ludicrous bill like this.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:52 AM

32,112 posts, read 39,184,670 times
It could very well be a software problem but, in my experience, those problems show up with every user, not just one or a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or