U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 AM

7,036 posts, read 5,219,555 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that a tenant(S) left the water running in their absence to avoid freezing pipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM

571 posts, read 529,133 times
Op, don't rent to college kids unless every parent signs for them and you valid credit cards.
I had 23 rentals at one point, and I quickly learned legal ways to discriminate against certain tenant profiles.

Attorneys, no way, people with too many kids for the size of my home, college kids, and unfortunately at the end Reservists and Guardsman.

I had a couple of service members who hid behind the serviceman's and sailors relief act and no lawyer would touch the case. I had to call their unit but both cases, the unit was deployed to the middle east, so you don't get any senior NCO or Officers at the rear detachment so it went no where. Finally, I used shame to get them out. It was so sad, as I come from an Army family and served myself. Not everyone in uniform is a hero.....

Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM

10,436 posts, read 2,831,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If itís a smart meter, can they give you a day-to-day breakdown on water usage? Mine can. At least that way you can see if itís been a high daily average or a huge spike.

My theory : One of those college students left a faucet running while they were gone for Christmas break.
There is no way a single faucet would account for that.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,450 posts, read 50,717,628 times
I worked at a water district for 17 years, and currently bill tenants (commercial/industrial) for utilities. I have seen all kinds of reasons for high bills that are not easily apparent, and we would do complete inspections for people to help find their problem. One is the pressure relief valve on a water heater. Most of them have a pipe running outside in an area where people don't often go, such as on the side. If there is a wet spot or dead plants where that pipe comes out of the wall, the relief valve has been opening and that's 25+ gallons/minute, and would also increase the gas or electric bills some. Underground leaks in the house line from the meter can often find cracks in the soil beneath and not show up as wet spots.
That can easily be tested by shutting off the house valve, often near the front yard faucet, and see if the meter is moving.
Crawl under if you have a crawl space and see if you have water puddled from a leaking pipe under the floors. When the consumption is that high but returns to normal, it could still be the water heater, but is most likely something left running while no one was there, perhaps on vacation for several days. We have also had cases where a neighbor had their water turned off for non-payment, and they attached a hose to a backyard faucet to steal water.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,637,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Is it possible that a tenant(S) left the water running in their absence to avoid freezing pipes?
That wouldn't account for the cost. We once trickled our water through one faucet for one month, night and day, during a particularly harsh winter. It added $25 to our water bill.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:28 AM

7,036 posts, read 5,219,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Weed growing?

Someone diverting your water to their use?
weed? Maybe flooding a Rice paddy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
Op, don't rent to college kids unless every parent signs for them and you valid credit cards.
And I can tell you, that any parent would dispute that charge in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
I had 23 rentals at one point, and I quickly learned legal ways to discriminate against certain tenant profiles.

Attorneys, no way, people with too many kids for the size of my home, college kids, and unfortunately at the end Reservists and Guardsman.

I had a couple of service members who hid behind the serviceman's and sailors relief act and no lawyer would touch the case. I had to call their unit but both cases, the unit was deployed to the middle east, so you don't get any senior NCO or Officers at the rear detachment so it went no where. Finally, I used shame to get them out. It was so sad, as I come from an Army family and served myself. Not everyone in uniform is a hero.....
What do you mean, "Hide Behind?" Its the law.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 AM

27,296 posts, read 11,408,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I don't know how your sprinkler system is set up, but here the water to the sprinklers first goes through the house, after it is metered.
It can do that, or the smart meter can communicate wirelessly with an outside meter, either way works but it's clear that just because you get a smart meter they are no longer going to track usage from the water main, only once it enters your house

Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,344,952 times
Quote:
What do you mean, "Hide Behind?" Its the law.
Just because it's the law doesn't mean that someone won't use it to escape their personal obligations.

Heck, some people even file bankruptcy multiple times in order to cheat suppliers out of their rightful payments. Just because there are legal loopholes which enable people to avoid personal responsibility doesn't make it right.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 AM

27,296 posts, read 11,408,877 times
Quote:
I don't think so, we had to keep two faucets slightly open to avoid freezing when we lived in Reno and it added maybe $15 a month to our water bill

Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 AM

3,121 posts, read 5,759,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Just because it's the law doesn't mean that someone won't use it to escape their personal obligations.

Heck, some people even file bankruptcy multiple times in order to cheat suppliers out of their rightful payments. Just because there are legal loopholes which enable people to avoid personal responsibility doesn't make it right.
Sounds like an "Orange Man" in a "White House". 'nuff said.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or