Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:12 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Here's the problem.....the water meter is now reading normal usage levels between 1/08/18 & yesterday.

No one has complained about lack of water pressure & I would expect that to be an issue?

How can one be charged for water that doesn't get registered by the meter (incoming & in to a property)?
Didn't the bill show 11 times more usage for water for the $8K bill that is usually $700 a quarter?

and they may tell you they can't set up an alert because they just don't want to because it's less money for them. My water company told me they couldn't one time. I know my electric company does let me set a limit usage and they will email and text me when it goes over a daily usage of KW hours that i can set myself with my online account. The few cold days we had in Florida this winter I got an alert each time it exceeded my set amount because heating costs three times as much here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Our sewer charges are a set amount based upon number of toilets.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-27-2018, 07:35 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That's why you can claim it's an error on the meter for the water because it doesn't match up with the sewer which it should.
You do realize there isn't a "sewer" meter. The sewer bill is based on the water meter reading.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm confused. The water company is charging you for water that your meter doesn't show as used?
No, it shows usage.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How many gallons are we talking about for the $8K? Or rather what makes up a unit and how many units made up that bill?

Also, even though it would be rare, have them test the meter.
Here's what I have learned:

100 cubic feet of water = 748 gallons of water.

One "unit" = 748 gallons of water.

The bill states that 728 units of water were used.

So almost 545K gallons of water.

Unless I've done the math wrong.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Is there a state utilities committee /commission you could take this to. If you don't get anywhere with utility company. Usually a meter is attached to the house and reads the water going in. My neighbor had water coming up in her lawn from the pipe that goes to her house were leaking, but that was on the city side of the meter so she wasn't charged with the excess water that was leaking. That bill is so out of line than usual, they must see that.
Has the meter been replaced, I didn't see anything about it. Maybe it should be pulled and inspected. If you don't find any leak somewhere to explain. I would thoroughly question how the meter is read.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
500K gallons is a shower running continuously for 3 months.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Weed growing?

Someone diverting your water to their use?

Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
500K gallons is a shower running continuously for 3 months.
About 2.5 gals/minute is typical for a standard showerhead.
3600 gallons per day with a showing running at a typical rate. So 324,000 gallons in 90 days.

That's a possibility or someone hooked up a hose to their spigot while it was vacant and was running water to another property.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Is there a state utilities committee /commission you could take this to. If you don't get anywhere with utility company. Usually a meter is attached to the house and reads the water going in. My neighbor had water coming up in her lawn from the pipe that goes to her house were leaking, but that was on the city side of the meter so she wasn't charged with the excess water that was leaking. That bill is so out of line than usual, they must see that.
Has the meter been replaced, I didn't see anything about it. Maybe it should be pulled and inspected. If you don't find any leak somewhere to explain. I would thoroughly question how the meter is read.
I don't know if there is, but I will look in to it.

That's the issue - the water main line could burst open at the street and spill thousand of gallons a minute. I won't be charged for that. Didn't hit my meter, didn't use that water.

It is going to be replaced and inspected. I don't have high hopes.

The "Smart Water Meter" was installed at the end of the summer. Didn't have a choice but to comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate