U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 11:35 AM

583 posts, read 185,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
If for some reason the door can't be reversed, why not a top loader?
Too late. They forgot "measure twice cut once" and bought a used set of front loaders without measuring anything first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Before he commits to expensive sod for the backyard, I would strongly recommend that he gets a soil test kit from the local ag agent. Moss is present for a reason, usually soil pH and a high degree of shade. Personally, if I had a predominantly mossy yard I'd leave it in place. It's nice and green year-round, and you don't have to mow it either. Why spend money unnecessarily?
This is the ONE part of the yard that they would want a nice lawn on. Yup, I think the house is facing East/West with the West being the front. 20-25ft from the back of the house (facing East) that is flat, then it goes up at a 45 degree angle for 100yards, all wooded. Blocks the morning sun. Soil test would be nice, but I told him that he has to rake up as much of the moss as he can with either a dethatcher rake or rent a power rake, apply a moss killer, roto-till it (another rental and he has no truck for either and I'm an hour away each way), then apply probably 80 pounds per 1000 square feet of lime to amend acidity of the soil, fertilize it, rake it smooth, and with a planned picnic on May 26, he needs to pony up for sod. If there was no picnic he could seed it. A lot of work to do in six weeks or so. This is the "entertaining" area of the yard. Who would want guests walking around on moss, especially barefoot?

Old 04-08-2018, 11:58 AM

And instead of going one room at a time, painting and fixing it up, get it done, and have a feeling of accomplishment before moving to the next room, they are working on at least 4 rooms at one time. I mentioned to my wife and she said that she told her son that they should only work on one room at a time, but....

And wood floors and the daughter inlaw is hand mixing a 5 gallon bucket of Kilz by hand, on the wood floors, not even newspapers under. I don't even know why they are using the Kilz, the walls are in good shape except for picture hook holes.....2 coats of quality primer/paint and stick a fork in it. And she taped ALL of the trim with Frog tape..... who has time for that? Learn to paint and use the right brush, and you don't need to tape anything....

Old 04-08-2018, 12:17 PM

3,840 posts, read 2,061,340 times
I swear Jim you are the second biggest control freak I have ever 'met'.

It would be humorous to listen to you rant and fret about every decision these kids have made, except I actually feel for these poor kids trying to find some joy in their new home.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:46 PM

7,781 posts, read 6,140,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
And instead of going one room at a time, painting and fixing it up, get it done, and have a feeling of accomplishment before moving to the next room, they are working on at least 4 rooms at one time. I mentioned to my wife and she said that she told her son that they should only work on one room at a time, but....

And wood floors and the daughter inlaw is hand mixing a 5 gallon bucket of Kilz by hand, on the wood floors, not even newspapers under. I don't even know why they are using the Kilz, the walls are in good shape except for picture hook holes.....2 coats of quality primer/paint and stick a fork in it. And she taped ALL of the trim with Frog tape..... who has time for that? Learn to paint and use the right brush, and you don't need to tape anything....
jeebus

Old 04-08-2018, 12:47 PM

I guess I did learn that moss is so highly-toxic that contact with bare feet will kill you within seconds.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I guess I did learn that moss is so highly-toxic that contact with bare feet will kill you within seconds.
I dunno, would you want your barefoot 2-1/2 year old playing in moss? Not going to hurt you but not the classic lush lawn to show off your new house to out of state relatives visiting for a picnic. 3.2 acres of ticks to contend with that I don't think he even thought about. They are on prime tick habitat. I don't want my granddaughter to contract Lyme disease before her 3rd birthday. Lyme is epidemic in CT. I treat my clothing before going into my urban garden and my dog comes back with ticks crawling on him.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:53 PM

3,840 posts, read 2,061,340 times
I live and grew up in Washington State. Half our lawns are moss, and the smart people give up trying to kill it and embrace it. It's lush, green, and doesn't need to be mowed.

There is NOTHING wrong with a child playing in the woods, and playing on moss. Heck... it might do you some good too. With or without spraying everyone down with insecticide first.

There is nothing wrong with out-of-state relatives seeing the new house and it's natural woodsy landscape. The kids have NOTHING to be ashamed about if they have a barbecue to show off their new house. I implore you to step back, stop being so hyper-critical of them and their beautiful place and every single choice they make, before you end up not invited to the gathering, or the house, at all.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:02 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,802,778 times
Quote:
I dunno, would you want your barefoot 2-1/2 year old playing in moss? Not going to hurt you but not the classic lush lawn to show off your new house to out of state relatives visiting for a picnic. 3.2 acres of ticks to contend with that I don't think he even thought about. They are on prime tick habitat. I don't want my granddaughter to contract Lyme disease before her 3rd birthday. Lyme is epidemic in CT. I treat my clothing before going into my urban garden and my dog comes back with ticks crawling on him.
I understand your concern with deer ticks and Lyme disease but your hatred of moss really makes you come across as Stepford-ish. Gotta have that perfectly manicured Connecticut lawn I guess.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
as the old saying goes, you're not paranoid if they're really out to get you. I hear that 80% of CT residents contract Lyme disease.

these young people that aren't really related to you are excited and proud to show off their child and their new HOME. hopefully, they don't give 2 sh**s about how YOU are concerned how others will perceive their choices in that being their home.

Do some meditating, some praying, some hiking, or some drinking. Whatever frees your mind. Then go back and read how you come across in your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or