U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-14-2018, 02:42 AM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
583 posts, read 185,964 times
Reputation: 747

Advertisements

The back yard with the moss issue. back of the house faces East and gets no sun. Needs lots of lime to fix the soil, after the moss is dealt with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2018, 02:46 AM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
583 posts, read 185,964 times
Reputation: 747
It doesn't look like a pro installation, but he said that he plans to get rid of the paver patio...3.2 acres and that is all he can have for a back yard. Diana, where does the chicken coop go? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 02:53 AM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
583 posts, read 185,964 times
Reputation: 747
Biggest part of the yard is here. You saw the back yard. Either side is 20-30ft. Rest of the 3.2 acres is rocks, slope, brush, trees. The sanitary line exits the house under the front door so the septic I imagine is in the front. Well is in the woods to the back left. So if he wants to plant some tomatoes, the small area to the right of the house would work. Or for the chicken coop.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 03:05 AM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
583 posts, read 185,964 times
Reputation: 747
Washer door can't open but for 6 inches. Hits the toilet. You have to climb over the toilet to load/unload the washer. Wife thinks maybe a raised platform. Might work. Machine hinges on the left and is not convertible. Not an ergonomic setup at all. Me, I think I'd rip open the walls and move the washer hookup to the left wall, so the hinges aren't in the center but on the outside, AND build the platform. Washer on the left, dryer on the right. Doors open away from each other. Ergonomic. I have tools....So many tools that I think I can set him up with a spare circular saw, hammer, rakes, etc.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 06:55 AM
 
3,204 posts, read 1,859,562 times
Reputation: 3548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
The back yard with the moss issue. back of the house faces East and gets no sun. Needs lots of lime to fix the soil, after the moss is dealt with.
East gets sun as does south and west. North does not. That's where moss grows around here - north. (unless you have a lot of tree cover)

The east side of my house is darker once the sun moves around as it's closer to the neighbors, but no moss there. Only on the north side.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Washer door can't open but for 6 inches. Hits the toilet. You have to climb over the toilet to load/unload the washer. Wife thinks maybe a raised platform. Might work. Machine hinges on the left and is not convertible. Not an ergonomic setup at all. Me, I think I'd rip open the walls and move the washer hookup to the left wall, so the hinges aren't in the center but on the outside, AND build the platform. Washer on the left, dryer on the right. Doors open away from each other. Ergonomic. I have tools....So many tools that I think I can set him up with a spare circular saw, hammer, rakes, etc.
I really think a top loader would be much easier than destroying walls and changing hookups.

If they just bought the washer, they can return it.

If it came with the house, sell it and buy another one.

Or just put them in the basement? Much less damage potential if it floods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Virginia
3,462 posts, read 1,649,470 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
The back yard with the moss issue. back of the house faces East and gets no sun. Needs lots of lime to fix the soil, after the moss is dealt with.
He can save himself a LOT of needless work by just leaving the moss alone. It's green and attractive and requires no maintenance or mowing at all. What a waste of time and money to remove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,840 posts, read 2,063,984 times
Reputation: 10587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
3.2 acres and that is all he can have for a back yard
It's lovely! And I would definitely leave the moss. Don't fight nature when you can win by embracing it!


Quote:
Diana, where does the chicken coop go? LOL.
Anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,840 posts, read 2,063,984 times
Reputation: 10587
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I really think a top loader would be much easier than destroying walls and changing hookups.
Yes.... definitely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 02:05 PM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
583 posts, read 185,964 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
East gets sun as does south and west. North does not. That's where moss grows around here - north. (unless you have a lot of tree cover)

The east side of my house is darker once the sun moves around as it's closer to the neighbors, but no moss there. Only on the north side.


Usually east gets the morning sun. Look again at the picture of the back yard. East exposure backs up to a treed slope and gets no sun

I really think a top loader would be much easier than destroying walls and changing hookups.

If they just bought the washer, they can return it.

If it came with the house, sell it and buy another one.

Or just put them in the basement? Much less damage potential if it floods.
they bought the washer/dryer used off of craigslist. they have to live with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 02:06 PM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
583 posts, read 185,964 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes.... definitely!
I agree but too late now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top