U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 PM

10,060 posts, read 9,305,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Who says you have to replace flooring? If you had liked this tile and couldn't get the grout cleaned, you only needed to have the grout removed and it regrouted. Since you don't like the tile anyway, it is safe to go with another tile, try one that requires a darker grout rather than white. Make sure you seal the grout and that you reseal every few years.
I don't want to keep the floor. It's white and ugly and this unfortunate incident caused me to act sooner. And like I said it helped me to realize that tile with its grout lines-even dark, which can still stain - ain't working in this particular bathroom. Lvp just seems to be the more practical choice. And you don't have tosealeither
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 PM

6,164 posts, read 3,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I live in a neighborhood that's considered upper middle. Our home is 29 years old, and we've done some upgrading along the way. Yesterday, a good friend of ours got ill, couldn't make it to the toilet and puked throughout the secondary bathroom. Unfortunately part of what came up was red wine that stained the ugly white grout (courtesy of the previous owners). The floor looks absolutely terrible, so we're going to replace it ASAP. We've always wanted to replace it since it that ugly builder white 6x6 tiles with white grout. You can never keep it clean and now it's gotten stained with red wine that oxidized. ugh. We're now thinking of putting down luxury vinyl planks. At first we were going to put down wood-look tile but this incident left us wanting something that was durable, had a wood look, yet NO GROUT and no GROUT lines. This bathroom is next to an upstairs game room that gets lots of usage. Functionality trumps fashion. At the same time, we can't help but being mindful of the house and the neighborhood when it comes to finishes. The previous owners, even though things were dated, used higher end stuff. We don't want to have to replace flooring again when we sell. Will having vinyl planks be a "con" resale wise?
The advantage of the vinyl planks is that it's inexpensive and easy to replace, if a buyer doesn't like it. Unlike ceramic tile.

As long as it's classy looking, tasteful, matches the other flooring in the house in style & tone, I think it might be a plus, since it would be relatively care free and practical. And it's a secondary bathroom.

There was a time when this wasn't so, but the vinyl flooring has gotten to be more accepted, now that it's improved and more stylish.

Even if you replaced it w/ceramic tile, a potential buyer might not like the ceramic tile, and that's a much bigger job to replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate