U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:35 PM

909 posts, read 505,626 times

Advertisements

I live in South Carolina in a townhouse neighborhood with an HOA. When I bought over 5 years ago, was never given bylaws, etc. Used to get monthly newsletters, but that ceased until today. Our HOA President has added a locked gate to our 2nd entrance, so now we only have one way in and out. Too bad if there is an emergency. And the gate has a padlock and residents were not given a key. The President has also put a lock on the playground. I could see locking at night, but this is in the daytime, again, residents do not have a key. There were no notifications about this and we pay for these ammenities each month. Finally, the HOA has changed the date the pool opens and closes. None of the above 3 issues were asked to vote on by residents. We pay dues and have no say so. Also, it has been about 2 years since a board election.

Tonight I requested the bylaws from our Property Management Company, which we are directed to reach out to them for any neighborhood issues. We are not to reach out to the Board members who were voted in about 2 years ago, yet the members have changed since then.

My questions are: Are residential subdivisions required to have two entrances? I looked up SC laws on this but had no luck other than issues must be voted on by members and have a 2/3 vote. Does anyone have a website with this info? Just fed up to pay monthly dues and have no say so over how it is spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:36 PM

7,696 posts, read 10,070,309 times
As far as the entrance thing, it’s very likely you do need two. I would call the fire department as they can cut through all the crap real fast.

The rest is up to your documents and SC law so I can’t help much.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:43 PM

11,624 posts, read 5,465,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I live in South Carolina in a townhouse neighborhood with an HOA. When I bought over 5 years ago, was never given bylaws, etc. Used to get monthly newsletters, but that ceased until today. Our HOA President has added a locked gate to our 2nd entrance, so now we only have one way in and out. Too bad if there is an emergency. And the gate has a padlock and residents were not given a key. The President has also put a lock on the playground. I could see locking at night, but this is in the daytime, again, residents do not have a key. There were no notifications about this and we pay for these ammenities each month. Finally, the HOA has changed the date the pool opens and closes. None of the above 3 issues were asked to vote on by residents. We pay dues and have no say so. Also, it has been about 2 years since a board election.

Tonight I requested the bylaws from our Property Management Company, which we are directed to reach out to them for any neighborhood issues. We are not to reach out to the Board members who were voted in about 2 years ago, yet the members have changed since then.

My questions are: Are residential subdivisions required to have two entrances? I looked up SC laws on this but had no luck other than issues must be voted on by members and have a 2/3 vote. Does anyone have a website with this info? Just fed up to pay monthly dues and have no say so over how it is spent.
By-laws have to be recorded at the county. If you can't find them filed there, the PMC should be sending you a link to their website where they should also be available.

However, I bet our by-laws say that homeowner approval for RULE changes is not needed. It will address elections and such.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:45 PM

980 posts, read 281,496 times
Have you found this? Looks like the atty gen'l has oversite over your association books and records and so on. And you have an ombudsman?

Do a search for this stuff. Also click on the blue highlighted laws.

I like that fire dept idea.

You need to figure out how to get a petition going if residents even care. I'd think parents would care about the playground.

But first, Fire Dept. Then get familiar with some of the laws and get your documents. Have you searched online by your association name? Might find some interesting stuff that way.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 AM

3,625 posts, read 6,761,752 times
If the fire department isnít any help with the entrance thing, check with the city planning department. They normally would have been the entity to approve the original layout of the complex with regards to entrances, parking, etc., even if the streets within are privately owned.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 AM

10,270 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post

Call the city, they can't lock out a gate it's a safety issue in case you need to get out during an emergency, they need to come up with a different solution.

Where is your HOA President who is working on your behalf?

The Property Management is telling you what they want to do, find out how to fix the HOA before things get worse. Go door to door if you have to and order a meeting.

You should have the right to reach out to board members. They think you are suckers because they are doing what they want and you collectively are letting them.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:48 AM

3,119 posts, read 5,749,014 times
In my HOA in Florida we only have one entrance/exit and it has always been that way. Laws vary state to state and city to city. There is no one answer that fits all.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:12 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
State laws very and you would need to ask your village hall about the 2 entrances. I don't think that is as big a deal as the other issue (locking the park, making changes without member votes, etc). If I was you I would complain to the management company about these procedures as well. You can also demand a board meeting as well as go around and get signature from other homeowners to change some of the rules. Usually you need a huge percentage to change a bylaw, but you don't even know if what they are doing are in the bylaws? I never heard of someone buying in an HOA and not getting the bylaws before closing on the property. I think that's law her.

Anyway, see what's in the bylaws, contact the management company, demand a board meeting and bring up all of these concerns as it seems the president of the HOA is on a power trip!

Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM

6,820 posts, read 2,544,409 times

Old 03-07-2018, 01:44 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
Agree, call the fire marshall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or