U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 PM

13,158 posts, read 18,790,470 times

Advertisements

https://www.ruud.com/products/hvac/ is not an “off” brand.
Do some research.
Learn to spell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 09:36 PM

7,153 posts, read 2,911,577 times
Move into an RV then you can live in a different area anytime you want. No buyers remorse. You are retired. You can follow the good weather around if you wish. Find a great area? You can actually try it out before buying. You wonít be renting and held to a lease or a landlord. Just a thought. ...

Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 AM

6,173 posts, read 3,271,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
https://www.ruud.com/products/hvac/ is not an “off” brand.
Do some research.
Learn to spell.
I did. Ruud is a middle of the line off brand. Walk down the street and ask people if they've ever had a Ruud a/c system, or have even seen one or heard of it.

I didn't say it was a BAD brand. I said it was an "off" brand. It is. As I said....it's not true that the more you pay, the better the quality. I had a Trane before, and it wasn't worth the money. But the brand name has cache and is one of the top brands.

But the fact that it's a Ruud is WHY he can sell it for a couple of thousand less. Because it's a brand that is "off" to the side from the top, well known brands.

(Tip: Don't get information about the quality or fame of a brand....from the brand itself. Better to use objective sources, preferably one that is unconnected with the business. The guy who gave me a quote actually told me, to get an opinion of how great Ruud is, to call this builder who has chosen to put Ruud in the new subdivision he built! So I pointed out the obvious...well, he got a deal on those units, of course...and he's not going to say anything bad about what he chose to put in his houses, so.....)

Old 05-18-2018, 06:09 AM

1,802 posts, read 870,947 times
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/haier-...m&source=ifpla

Look into one of these. When we lived in Raleigh, our A/C went out over 4th of July weekend. We had to get one of these to hold us over until they could come service it. We could set it up in the living room during the day with a fan blowing the cool air around and then roll it back to the bedroom at night. Very easy to set up and not hard to move around.

I just read that if you spray WD-40 into the carpenter bee holes, it will kill them. I also read that if you hang a brown paper bag (stuffed with plastic grocery bags to puff it up) in the area where the carpenter bees are, they will avoid the area because the bag resembles a paper wasp nest.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:07 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A home inspection tells you that the unit is working at the time. And nothing is against code. Nothing more. It was obvious it was an old unit that was at its life expectancy. The inspector noted a rusty pan in the attic and provided pics of anything questionable or not up to snuff.

As I said originally, I made a big mistake.

The inspector seems to have done an excellent job.

Hey B, I just wanted to say, you're a much braver soul than I am. Your posts are so honest and humble and clear. Some of the best advice in the world comes from the good folks here at City-Data forums, but there are the others that will slice you into ribbons just for sport.

You made a mistake buying a house. Who hasn't made similar mistakes? The older you get, the more mistakes you're going to make, just by virtue of the passage of time. I admire you for being so forthright and plainspoken throughout this thread.

I made a mistake and married the wrong guy. That's much worse than buying the wrong house!
You're going to come through this and things will get better.

That's the bottom line.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:02 AM

13,158 posts, read 18,790,470 times
"The major manufacturers are:

Trane, which also makes American Standard
United Technology, which owns Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Day & Night, Heil and Tempstar
Lennox, which owns Ducane, Armstrong, Concord, Allied and AirEase
Rheem, which owns Ruud
Goodman, which makes Amana and Janitrol
York, which makes Coleman and Luxaire
Nortek Global HVAC, which makes Maytag, Westinghouse, Frigidaire, Kelvinator and others"

https://www.consumersearch.com/centr...ands-vs-brands

Old 05-18-2018, 11:26 AM

1,078 posts, read 357,856 times
Follow your instincts. The OPís posts sound like a pretty good neighborhood and her relatives are there and happy to have her. But itís not a good place for her and thatís reason enough to sell. Only she knows what she wants.

I live in the most beautiful house ever and am fixing it up to look even better. The neighborhood is awful, Walmart is the closest good shopping and yesterday a hawk got one of my chickens. The druggies, miserable spouse and location are reason enough to put this place on the market and Iíll be glad to see the last of it. You can always improve a house or landscape, but the neighborhood and location are fixed. The OP has house issues. Bottom line, if it needs to go, sell it.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:16 AM

6,173 posts, read 3,271,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/haier-...m&source=ifpla

Look into one of these. When we lived in Raleigh, our A/C went out over 4th of July weekend. We had to get one of these to hold us over until they could come service it. We could set it up in the living room during the day with a fan blowing the cool air around and then roll it back to the bedroom at night. Very easy to set up and not hard to move around.

I just read that if you spray WD-40 into the carpenter bee holes, it will kill them. I also read that if you hang a brown paper bag (stuffed with plastic grocery bags to puff it up) in the area where the carpenter bees are, they will avoid the area because the bag resembles a paper wasp nest.
Thanks for the tips! I didn't get a portable or window a/c that day...I realized I wouldn't be able to find one I wanted in stock, get it home, and get it installed same day. So a/c has added freon, now, and is working...so now I have time to get one, for next emergency. I'll check out that Haier. I'm a Sam's Club member, too. So the good news is...I called a different a/c co.....guy just diagnosed and filled it w/freon, and said he'd do that again later if necessary, but we'll give it a try for time being, to see if I can get by w/o buying a new one at this time.

I have some WD-40, and plastic bags & such, so I'll try that for the carpenter bees. I was going to get a spray foam, but I can try the wd-40 first, since I have it. I think the bees are new...I see only the one hole, and I've been around that playhouse a bit and never saw them before. So I caught it early. Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by bpollen; 05-19-2018 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 AM

7,890 posts, read 10,180,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Yes, it is the house. And the location. And the people. Although the people are nice (which I already knew), I have little in common with them. I don't want to be too negative about them. I don't like the kind of people that most of them are, although they are personally nice, if that makes sense. We won't be real friends. We'll be neighborly.

I'm not confused or want to move because I'm depressed. I'm depressed because I'm unhappy and need to move away from this area. It's really not a mental thing. I made a big mistake. I don't belong here.

There are some good things, while I'm here. I try to focus on that.

As for treating the trees myself, I saw that Home Depot has that stuff. But I'm concerned it won't work well...I know nothing about treating for termites. Termites are nothing to fool around with. They could easily walk over to the house. It takes a while for them to die from the poison.

But what I might do is pay for inspection, get an estimate. Then think about whether I want to do it myself.
It's so hard living in a place you don't feel you belong, esp. if you don't have a lot of family or friends close by. I've lived in different areas, one state I felt I was an alien being dropped down from the sky forced to get along w/ other aliens (and that was my Home state, LOL. I went back after 20 yrs. away. Big learning lesson. I left in a year thankfully!). Wish you well.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:43 AM

10,282 posts, read 6,543,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I was trying to politely word my comment. Crime was creeping into the neighborhood. I was ok with the parents, but the teenage and adult children started having run ins with the law. It wasn't just one neighbor. There were at least four 'affected' houses near me. The last straw for us was when we came home from a school event one night and there was a rolled vehicle in front of my house. The guy claimed he was coming around the corner and the dog jumped on him. He hit the next door neighbor's mailbox and that caused him to roll. The police didn't arrest the guy, but should have. He had several empty beer cans inside his suv. He lived about ten houses down from us. These neighbors were mainly polite to us, but it wasn't a comfortable feeling living there.
Rich people drive drunk too, they just have good lawyers. I saw a reality show where a woman claims she fell asleep while driving and hit a tree. Her friends said it was because she had 4 martinis. She didn't get a DUI.

You never know your neighbors, they could have killed someone 20 years ago and gotten away with it. They could be nice but their kids could be problems, kids that no longer live there. You can see problems and people who have no self respect for themselves or anyone else and it's often because of alcohol or drug abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or