U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:49 PM

2,110 posts, read 1,058,674 times

Advertisements

Do you have a really good idea of where you'd like to be? I get the impression that you are not quite sure about that. For me, being retired and having nowhere particular to be, that would be the hard part. So I'd suggest using this time - once you've decided definitely to list the house - to firm up exactly which town and which part of town you want to move to. Then do lots of research on zillow.com or realtor.com and look at everything available on those sites (hope they let us suggest websites). If not, just google zillow. The best part about zillow is that you can home in on your location and see what is available exactly there.

The way the real estate market is now, you may not have as much trouble selling as you think you will. The market is very very tight this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 06:13 PM

10,312 posts, read 9,435,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKatie3 View Post
Why not rent it out?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:26 PM

1,777 posts, read 858,251 times
I don't mean this in a mean way, but you've got to stop thinking every RE agent has some underlying devious motive. Maybe you can FSBO, but it will likely take longer and you may end up in a worse place than you are right now, in a house that you hate for much longer than you can imagine.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:03 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,321,320 times
Quote:
Why not rent it out?
She already doesn't like the house. Why make it worse with all of the headaches of maintaining a rental property...or of a potentially bad tenant? I really don't think that the OP is cut out to be a landlord.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,028,074 times
1. Rent out the house.
2. You find a place to rent for yourself.

Hopefully the rent will cover the expenses, or at least most of them. Then, calmly plan your next steps. Stop making hasty, ill-considered decisions.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:08 PM

8,844 posts, read 17,437,561 times
There are other issues unrelated to real estate here and moving again may not solve them. Before you spend all the money to move maybe try something less costly first. Psychiatrist are great a listening. Is there one in the area you could see?

Whether you do that or not this guy gives one of the best happiness lessons I've ever seen. I love motivational speakers and I've seen a fair number but this one impacted my lifestyle and habits. Watch the 12 minute video if you're short on time. If you have time watch the hour video. Try the tips at the end. They work. It's amazing.

12 minutes: Shawn Achor – Goodthink Inc.

60 minute video: https://youtu.be/1x0zAN2YAJA

Last edited by Brandon Hoffman; 03-07-2018 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 07:50 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I don't think she purchased the house in haste. I believe she looked for a year or more before finally deciding on this house.

bpollen, try not to over analyze on the next house. You killed yourself agonizing over every little detail on every single house you looked at. You blew off any real estate agents because you felt you could do a better job on your own. It would have helped to have that voice in your ear (from a real person, not your anxiety) talking you through things. I feel badly for you. You spent so much time and stressed yourself out so much and now you still regret your purchase. Buying a house is very stressful, don't make it more so by over analyzing every single part of it.
this. I take zero satisfaction in the situation that bpollen finds herself in now, but she stridently ignored all the input she received for a year. Maybe this time, all the advice will be discerned.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:53 PM

6,164 posts, read 3,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If it took you a year to buy something and you hate it now, what makes you think you will find something you like if you "hurry up and try to buy something in a new city"? I mean, what are the odds?
Well, you make a good point. A very good point. But for the buying end, the real estate market is better now. I sold my house to buy at the worst possible time...the market was so hot that the houses were selling before I could even drive back home. I was a cash buyer, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Now that I will be a contingency, wanna bet that they'll say THAT'S not good enough, either. Although I will still be a cash buyer, once I sell my house.

But yes...buying in a hurry again would be a problem. I don't know how that works. I suppose I should move into a rental, but that's money out the window. I've gotten myself into a mess.

All the while my aged father, who is happy I'm here, won't hear about anything being wrong. Everything's fixable. I didn't make a mistake. Everything's great. I suppose it is good I'll be around if he passes away any time soon. He's lived much longer than any male in his family, going back generations.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Why not rent it out?
Oh, I need the money to buy the new house.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
And, never buy a house out of desperation and haste again. Take your time, get to know the area for at least a year....then you'll know where you want to buy.

ETA: Having read your description your house sounds very nice. I don't think that you'll have a hard time selling it. If I was as miserable as your say you are, I'd put it on the market this spring. Hang in, you'll be fine.

Good luck.
Thank you for your positive post. Yes, it is a nice house (altho I didn't list the bad things).

I had to buy...I had to move from the rental. The market was awful last year everywhere I looked. I looked in FOUR cities. Ruled out one. Then looked in the remaining three.

The one thing I did right was that I bought the smallest house in a nice subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or