U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:13 PM

13,115 posts, read 18,723,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I had to buy...I had to move from the rental. The market was awful last year everywhere I looked. I looked in FOUR cities.
Because there are only 4 cities in the entire USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 09:14 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
First settle down and write out the things you like/love about the house like your #1 to #12 above. Now write out the minimum improvements, reasonable decoraint you could make to attract a good buyer. If the market is still good where you are, try selling it by owner after you get a bonafide appraisal. It doesn't sound like you were pressured into buying the house; more that you just made a hasty decision. It's not the end of the world.

Get yourself motivated to sell it and give it a try, you have nothing to lose. You don't have to explain to potential buyers why you are selling, that can be confidential unless you alone want to disclose it. Don't get mired down in some sort of depression, realize that you can do this, it's been done many times before -- you're not the first one to make this 'boo boo'.

Best wishes.
Thank you. Some good advice. I will do that. Yes, I need a plan.

I'm out of my field of experience. Normally I'm a planner and good at multi-tasking. But the depression over my mistake, coupled with no experience with this sort of thing, has overwhelmed me. But I do need to point out the good things, and work out a plan.

The drapes were a big deal to me. I bought these drapes on sale around Christmas. They're lovely and match the ivory part of new rugs I bought (which I got half off at Christmas---rugs are expensive normally). A lovely look. When I couldn't get them hung because of all the hardware not being anchored properly, and I ran into trouble with that, it sent me on a downward spiral. I haven't touched the drapery hardware in the main rooms since. I DID fix hardware in the BR, though (lighter anchors there), without damaging the wall, so that has lifted my spirits.

I need to do a list and work out a plan. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I wouldn't count out meeting new people. You might find a friend where you least expect it. When I have moved to a new area, I've found it takes at least a year to feel like I fit in and find people with common interests. Who knows, you might make a friend like you who also hates the area with whom you could commiserate with

In regards to selling your house, do a lot of research before you sign a contract with any realtor. There are more options to sell nowadays than there used to be and there is also a lot of variation in realtor fees. The realtor I work with in my area only charges 1% to sell vs. the normal 2.4% for my area. They don't do open houses but in my market, we don't need them. You might be able to shop around and find opportunities like that where you can save money when you sell. You will still need to pay the buyer's agent out of the sale proceeds so any chance to reduce commission cost on your side would help.

Selling within a short amount of time is hard because, unless the market is strong, and you bought low and/or it appreciated since purchase, you will probably end up eating any closing costs you paid when you bought such as loan origination fee, inspections fees, appraisal fees, title insurance, etc. If you can stay a little longer, you might be able to break even or a little better.

Is there anything you could do to the house in the meantime to make it your own so you feel more happy and comfortable that might also help you when you go to sell it? Minor cosmetic upgrades etc.?
Thank you so much for your practical comments.

As for commiserating with someone else who hates it here...LOL. That may be true, actually. As I said in another post, I'm joining the gym (nice gym), which is an interest of mine. And some other things I have an interest in...but not much time, what with doing things around the house, and I spend time with my dog.

I'm also probably more depressed than I normally would be because one of my dogs died recently. I took it pretty hard; it was sudden.

Yes, I'm trying to fix up the house with a view of what a buyer would like, and what I would like, too.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I don't think she purchased the house in haste. I believe she looked for a year or more before finally deciding on this house.

bpollen, try not to over analyze on the next house. You killed yourself agonizing over every little detail on every single house you looked at. You blew off any real estate agents because you felt you could do a better job on your own. It would have helped to have that voice in your ear (from a real person, not your anxiety) talking you through things. I feel badly for you. You spent so much time and stressed yourself out so much and now you still regret your purchase. Buying a house is very stressful, don't make it more so by over analyzing every single part of it.

We purchased our home 2 years ago. It's not perfect and it won't be my forever home, but it's a cute cottage with magnificent views. We will be able to rent it out as a vacation rental down the road, but for now we make due (the neighborhood is great, gravel road, just a few houses and wonderful dog walking - because there isn't any real traffic and my dogs can be off leash on the top of our mountain) because we aren't miserable. Just not in our forever home, that's all.
Wow, sounds like a great place you bought. I'd be happy with a cute cottage with magnificent views and a place to walk the dogs. What I bought was a dead end street next to other dead end streets, so no place to walk, next to a roadway with no shoulder, so can't walk there. There are a lot of dead end streets here for some reason. I can't rent anything out, since I need the money to buy the next house.

It's different when you saved money for retirement based on a single income. I did okay, but not like if there had been two incomes. It also makes a difference when there's no one to discuss houses with. It's just me and myself...my point of view...my indecision. The real estate agents weren't very helpful. They just show houses...get the keys, let me in. They don't preview the houses, either. A few I was shown were in horrible condition...waste of time.

I did have bad luck, too. I really wanted a house in another town...offered full list price. I didn't get it. I liked another house here...got a contract on it. Turned out to have a major defect...the inspector said he didn't even need to finish the inspection. Bad luck.

I can't wait several years, or I'll have to buy a new a/c and roof. I also need to start living a life instead of fooling with houses. I'm also not getting any younger. Moving is physically demanding, and remember I'm by myself. I have to do all the packing, wrapping, the arrangements, moving boxes and the lighter furniture. I'm in excellent health, but who knows what the future holds.

From the responses in this thread, it looks like I'm going to have a loss, and it's iffy that I'll break out even on the sales price. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to try to sell it to see.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Because there are only 4 cities in the entire USA.
Well, being the planner that I am, I had spent a year or two researching various places to move to from Dallas. I had certain criteria, one of which it had to be driving distance from where I was. And feasible for me to move to, cost-wise, and as a practical matter...since I would be alone with two dogs and need to pay for storage. All sorts of criteria. There weren't many choices, really, based on my criteria. I decided on Tyler, Tx, and made a couple of trips there before I made that final decision. But after I sold my house...the real estate market in Tyler went crazy. And I was renting in SW La (family had arranged a good deal for me on a rental, but driving distance to Tyler). Bad luck that the Tyler market went crazy, esp since I wasn't in town.

So, I don't know.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:32 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,978,670 times
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you are not happy with your house, and I hope it all works out somehow (whether you decide to move or not).

Old 03-07-2018, 10:41 PM

2,897 posts, read 1,017,878 times
In a buyer's market, you can make an offer contingent upon selling your house. You can try to do that in any case . . . so find a house you love, put an offer on it, and then put your house on the market. Price your house to sell. Ask for a longer than usual escrows (on both transactions). It's definitely doable and if you hate your house, you should definitely sell it before you get sick.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 PM

1,059 posts, read 350,574 times
Quote:
I bought a house last summer, after househunting in different places for over a year. I ended up buying in Louisiana after unsuccessfully trying to buy a house in Tyler TX (the r.e. market there was horrible...I even offered full list price cash offer & didn't get it). So in desperation (I had to move because of my rental), I ended up buying a house in La. near relatives...they were subtly putting pressure on me, and I was renting in the area.

I hated it right away and realized I'd made a mistake after the purchase. But people told me it's buyer's remorse, to give it time, etc.

It's now eight months later, and I hate it more than ever. I go to sleep every night thinking how much I hate it here. I hate the area, the house, the people (some of the people are fine). I have sunk into a depression such that it's hard for me to get things done. The least issue with hanging drapes sends me to bed in despair from having to handle one more "issue" with this house and area. I still haven't hung the drapes (there's an issue with the hardware...the lazy prior owners hung all the hardware without anchors, so they have to all be rehung properly, and it messes up the walls...which are painted a COLOR so will not be able to be matched...it's a mess).

I'm not even unpacked all the way. I'm having an "issue" placing my furniture and things, and then I'm thinking I shouldn't unpack all the way, since I hope to move to somewhere else.

My question is: I guess I can expect to take a hit on the price when I sell, right? I'll be selling, if someone will buy it, within a year of buying it.

How do I buy a new house without moving out of my current house? Do I wait to get a contract on my house, then hurry up and travel to the new city and buy something in a hurry? How does that work?

I totally screwed up. So I need to correct my mess. I didn't get a great deal on the house. You think odds are I can get the same as I paid for it, at least? Interest rates are going up, so that will be an issue.

Has anyone else made a mistake like this?
Hi bpollen, oh yeah, I made the same mistake you did last year. Couldnít wait to get out of hot, dry Phoenix and move to Washington. Chose one of the worst areas around. Neighbors who dump trash in their front yards and some who look like meth heads. No decent shopping anywhere. A corporate spouse who totally hates it here.

As all the surprises in this lovely neighborhood unfolded, I was first in disbelief and then depressed. Then, I realized if we were ever going to move, it was up to me. So I took a deep breath and watched Rocky, (just kidding) and started working hard on all the improvements I need to make this house sell. I went online and started googling everything from paint colors to tile to how to stage your house for a sale. Iíve done all this before, just didnít realize Iíd be moving again so soon.

Several pieces of our furniture didnít even fit through the door, so I rented a storage unit to store them. I also have about 40 moving boxes that havenít been unpacked, they are in the storage unit waiting for the next house. Right now my focus is on prepping this house to get it market ready in the next few months. It is a beautiful house in a crappy neighborhood. Next time, Iím going for the ugly house in a beautiful neighborhood. Another house to redo. Donít tell anyone, but I may be addicted to rehabbing.

My advise to you is get a game plan and jump in. If you hate your house that much, then itís worth the effort. No one but you can get you out of the mess youíre in. Be focused on your goal which is to move. I showed an appalling lack of judgement in choosing this area, but I knew nothing about rural Washington. It pays to take your time and really scope out the house/area.

I have several horses, so moving is going to be harder and more limited for me than it will be for you. Feel better? Wishing you all the best!

Old 03-08-2018, 12:15 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,180,317 times
Quote:
I bought a house last summer, after househunting in different places for over a year. I ended up buying in Louisiana after unsuccessfully trying to buy a house in Tyler TX (the r.e. market there was horrible...I even offered full list price cash offer & didn't get it). So in desperation (I had to move because of my rental), I ended up buying a house in La. near relatives...they were subtly putting pressure on me, and I was renting in the area.

I hated it right away and realized I'd made a mistake after the purchase. But people told me it's buyer's remorse, to give it time, etc.

It's now eight months later, and I hate it more than ever. I go to sleep every night thinking how much I hate it here. I hate the area, the house, the people (some of the people are fine). I have sunk into a depression such that it's hard for me to get things done. The least issue with hanging drapes sends me to bed in despair from having to handle one more "issue" with this house and area. I still haven't hung the drapes (there's an issue with the hardware...the lazy prior owners hung all the hardware without anchors, so they have to all be rehung properly, and it messes up the walls...which are painted a COLOR so will not be able to be matched...it's a mess).

I'm not even unpacked all the way. I'm having an "issue" placing my furniture and things, and then I'm thinking I shouldn't unpack all the way, since I hope to move to somewhere else.

My question is: I guess I can expect to take a hit on the price when I sell, right? I'll be selling, if someone will buy it, within a year of buying it.

How do I buy a new house without moving out of my current house? Do I wait to get a contract on my house, then hurry up and travel to the new city and buy something in a hurry? How does that work?

I totally screwed up. So I need to correct my mess. I didn't get a great deal on the house. You think odds are I can get the same as I paid for it, at least? Interest rates are going up, so that will be an issue.

Has anyone else made a mistake like this?

No use crying over spilt milk. You are probably going to take a transactions cost of a few % when you sell and maybe an additional 6% to a realtor if you sell through a Realtor. You didn't mention where in Louisiana but don't think anywhere except some areas of New Orleans are seeing significant increase so you'll probably lose 5-10% counting transactional cost when you sell.

Wife wants to sell the new house we bought 2 years ago because she wants to build on more property and design her house herself. I really like our house and don't mind the location but I don't want her unhappy and B***ing about it for the rest of my life so I'll probably let her do it at some point. Even though our areas has seen some price growth, I know we'll take a hit when we sell and then have to move, etc.

When we were looking 2+ years ago, I liked and would have bought about 50 different houses before wife decided on the one we bought which was more expensive than I thought was necessary to get a nice house....now she wants to sell it but I think this is kind of a disease, she hates every house we've ever had after we buy it because they didn't design it the way she would have.

Last edited by American Expat; 03-08-2018 at 12:39 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 02:47 AM

764 posts, read 46,235 times
I am not in quite the same situation as you are, in that my wife got sick shortly after we moved to our new place and passed away recently, so I am adjusting to that.

But the similarity is that not long after we moved here, we knew it was not the place for us to retire, and we planned to leave. Because I was taking care of her, most of the projects that we had planned to get the house ready for resale were postponed.

Somedays I’d like to just sell as is, get in my car and leave, but I know I’m not thinking straight and to do that would be financial ruination for me.

There are a lot of things I need to do but don’t feel like it, just as you said. So, I don’t do them and maybe just stare at the wall instead. In the long run, it doesn’t matter if I do them tomorrow or at all, as long as the roof doesn’t fall in.

What I am trying to say is, even though you are unhappy there, you might be better off just waiting awhile and letting your emotions settle down. If you don’t want to put up drapes, just put it off. Since you only bought the house not long ago, you may get into a bad financial situation that you can’t fix, and not make the best choice for the next house.

I know that for myself, I just have to sit still and not make any decisions for a bit, even though I don’t like it here. The chores can wait.

I hope things work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or