Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:13 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

She opened the door on her own listing? That's it? This listing agent should definitely NOT be offended if you get your own agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 03:18 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
She opened the door on her own listing? That's it? This listing agent should definitely NOT be offended if you get your own agent.
Yup.
I meant to add that fact. She was hired to get offers for her client. Sounds like she is successful!!

Old 03-09-2018, 03:28 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Eh, if you wanted a buyers agent you should of gotten one to show you the houses.

Bringing in an agent just to write an offer is pretty bad form IMO once you've already been shown properties by another agent, her listing or not.
^^ THIS!!!!

OP, If you wanted a buyer's agent to represent you, why didn't you call one to show you that house, instead of having the lady who was the listing agent show it to you?

If I were the listing lady agent, I would not be offended by your phone call, nor would I be offended by you telling me that you wanted a buyer's agent representing you because things might not be fair unless you did. However, I would be offended that you wasted my time by having me do the work of your buyer's agent, that is showing you the house and answering questions about it and the transaction.

The work of the buyer's agent is not limited to putting in an offer and sitting at the settlement table with you, and it is not the work of the listing agent to be showing you a house that your buyer's agent is going to put in a contract on.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
OP, If you wanted a buyer's agent to represent you, why didn't you call one to show you that house, instead of having the lady who was the listing agent show it to you?

If I were the listing lady agent, I would not be offended by your phone call, nor would I be offended by you telling me that you wanted a buyer's agent representing you because things might not be fair unless you did. However, I would be offended that you wasted my time by having me do the work of your buyer's agent, that is showing you the house and answering questions about it and the transaction.

The work of the buyer's agent is not limited to putting in an offer and sitting at the settlement table with you, and it is not the work of the listing agent to be showing you a house that your buyer's agent is going to put in a contract on.
How did the OP waste the time of the listing agent?

Especially since the OP has indicated a possible purchase of the so-far UNSOLD HOUSE?

If that house is still on the market ONE MONTH LATER, and the listing agent hasn't marketed the house well enough to have already sold the property in what is likely a seller's market, the possibility of purchase by the OP after the IMPULSE house visit (meaning no time to get a buyer's agent) at a vacation destination is GOOD for the listing agent.

There is a significant profit to be made by the listing agent. That doesn't sound like time was wasted by unlocking the door of the house to the OP.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:51 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishshan View Post
My family was visiting a town we will move to this summer, and on impulse wanted to see a house I liked.

We didn’t have an agent so I called the agent listed with the house and asked if she’d show it to us. She did. It was pretty informal, though I did give her my email.

It’s been a month and we’re considering visiting again and putting in an offer on that house or another one we’re looking at.

We found an agent through our bank, interviewed him on the phone and asked him to show us a bunch of houses his weekend when we visit.

We will likely make an offer on one of those using him.

I called the original listing agent of the first house, and let her know we may put an offer in on that house. I thanked her for showing it and explained we just aren’t comfortable using the same person to represent both us and the seller, and that we have another agent. It just seems like a bad idea, especially since the seller is paying her. She seemed offended. Was I really rude?? What’s the etiquette here?
No, you want your own representation. She will still get her share if you buy that house. (Just make sure your agent is ready in case she gets hostile.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:51 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Please let the agent you plan to use know about all of this. There is a thing called procuring cause which that first agent has so the agent you want to choose should know what has happened before. And like Silver fall has already said, letting the two agents work it out is the best thing to do.

While I don't think what you did is wrong I don't think you should have to be in the middle of this trying to work it out if you have no buyers agreement signed with the first agent.
The rest has already been covered. You should let your agent know you saw it a while back with the listing agent but I disagree that the agent would have a viable procuring cause. Just go back and look at it with your agent before you offer. There may be some variance from state to state but I believe procuring cause is created by an unbroken chain of events. Here there is a break.

Really, the listing agent should just be happy to have a sale.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:46 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
The thing is if this property is in Virginia as you posted about in another post here, the agent should know about the buyer representative agreement the agents have in Virginia. When I saw your other post I asked friends who have bought homes in that state. So there's a similar agreement in nearby states as well as Virginia.. Don't know if it's everywhere else as well.

Turns out some agents are shy about having the agreement signed. And the a buyer might be too. But you can write in a short time frame.

To top that off I was told this contract is the law in Virginia. A brand new young person buying a place may not know this but the agent should. She may be kicking herself for not getting you to sign this.

Look into this further so you are informed for dealing with that realtor and your own representative . And as was said already, you really don't need to be dealing with someone else's agent. Let yours handle it.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Please let the agent you plan to use know about all of this. There is a thing called procuring cause which that first agent has so the agent you want to choose should know what has happened before. And like Silver fall has already said, letting the two agents work it out is the best thing to do.

While I don't think what you did is wrong I don't think you should have to be in the middle of this trying to work it out if you have no buyers agreement signed with the first agent.
If the OP didn't sign a contract with the agent who had the house listed and showed it to the OP there is no legal requirement to share more than the seller's portion
I have had seller's agents show me a house when my agent was out of town and made that clear to the seller's agent...

Old 03-09-2018, 07:20 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Eh, if you wanted a buyers agent you should of gotten one to show you the houses.

Bringing in an agent just to write an offer is pretty bad form IMO once you've already been shown properties by another agent, her listing or not.
If this is only about the one house really it isn't bad. If I showed just my listing, the one house and someone was honest about wanting someone else to write an offer I don't see what the big deal is. I helped my listing get sold. It's another matter entirely if more time is put into showing them houses.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:24 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The rest has already been covered. You should let your agent know you saw it a while back with the listing agent but I disagree that the agent would have a viable procuring cause. Just go back and look at it with your agent before you offer. There may be some variance from state to state but I believe procuring cause is created by an unbroken chain of events. Here there is a break.

Really, the listing agent should just be happy to have a sale.
I see your point, but it's been my experience that what one thinks is viable another doesn't. And then arbitration decides whats what if it gets ugly. She should let her agent know up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate