U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 03:29 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,511,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Don't ask my age.

Single family house

I have 2 small dogs, it's hard to find a rental that accepts them. I have a backyard. It was the best house I could afford. I was lucky to get it, I never thought I could afford a home.

Mine wasn't about space or commute. I think commute is more important.

Price, no comment, but it my mortgage costs less than what a roommate would charge in my are for a room. I had to buy because I could not afford to rent. It wasn't my desired property it was the last decent home in the area in my price range.

Overall I am thrilled. Peace of mind, no LL, no one telling me I can't have another pet live here. Plus I was very lucky to find this place. Prices have skyrocketed for older starter homes and the cheapest ones are 60% more expensive than I bought for and some of those have problems or are cash only or will never appraise for what they are asking.
I like your name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I wanted maintenance free so that meant a new build. I wanted it the way I wanted it when I wanted it so that meant a new build. I wanted protection that the neighborhood would look as good years down the road as it did new so this meant an HOA with control. I do not like to do nor do I do yard work so that meant an HOA where they did all landscaping. I found what I wanted but I had to accept a few things, mainly only a one car garage but as I only have one car and I am not a hoarder that works.

We have no amenities thus no cost nor aggravation of such. Largest demographic here are middle age, professionals, both singles and couples with no children. Also a fair amount of older, retired, both singles (like myself) and couples. Very few children. Of 112 homes, maybe 10 kids.

1400sq ft, 3 bedroom, two bath for $135K. A patio home so the sides of the homes are within 25ft of each other. Care free living at its best. In Lexington (Columbia area) SC.
I'd like to live there.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm single but with a child so I don't fit your questions.

But I think that other than potentially needing a little less space, single people buy houses for the same reasons as non-single people. They just have the ability to only have to factor in one person's opinions and needs instead of two.
Single people are people too.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:46 PM

Interesting. None of you purchased condos. Lol!

For some reason, I like condos but I believe a small single family home would be best long term. I am adverse to noise. I wish I could find a place with few children.

Purchasing a property is such an intimate affair. Layout is more important than actual size. Commute is very important. However, it is not likely I am going to stay at the same job forever.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Short answer: The same as anyone else and for mostly the same reasons.

People who like yards and gardens or have some other use for them like pets...
People who prefer to have someone else do everything...

cutting to the chase... what are you scheming and dreaming about and trying to justify?
I prefer a townhouse or condo but I am adverse to noise.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:11 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,732,823 times
1800 sq ft max. A thoughtful layout, preferably with a circular traffic pattern somewhere in it. Big fancy kitchen, nice baths (2 is enough), 3 BRs or less, privacy for sure (be it a yard, or decking, etc., in a condom). A LR (no family room, no formal dining room) should be large enough to accommodate furnishings of almost any type (18' in at least one dimension) and some space (basement or garage) for hobbies.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:00 PM

4,123 posts, read 3,413,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I don't fit the normal house buyer mold but here goes.

Please list age. - I was 52 when I bought my current house. So I was middle age then. Divorced. Kids were long ago adults on their own.

Type of property: - One level, ranch style, on 1.1 acres.

Why did you choose this type of property? - I am a car collector. I needed a large lot for a garage/workshop in the back yard.

What is more important? Space or Commute to Work? - Space. Commute took care of itself. The first year in the house my commute was about 40 minutes. For my next job until retirement my commute was only about 20 minutes.

Price. Did you stretch your budget to get in to your desired property? - No. I sold two rentals and paid cash for my house. Had plenty of cash left over to put up my building.
Sounds good. Are you going to build a large garage out back. I looked at those steel buildings and thought a 40 x 40 would make a nice workshop with a lift inside!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:24 PM

26,894 posts, read 57,997,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I prefer a townhouse or condo ...
Then that is what you should look toward.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:49 PM

219 posts, read 74,902 times
I was in my late thirties when I purchased my current (and barring unforeseen circumstances, my forever home). It's a two-story brick colonial built in 1958 with a single car garage and a small front yard and a large lot for house in an inner ring suburb. I chose it because it felt like home, had/has original details in place, had a fabulous location (on several bus lines, walkable to all of the amenities that a person could want or need such as restaurants, hardware and grocery stores, mechanics, libraries, etc.), was within easy commuting distance of work and the airport,had plenty of space for gardening, and had a garage (off street parking was a must on my house shopping list. Usable garages are a relative rarity in my neighborhood, so that was a huge plus for me.) After nearly a decade spent in an outer ring suburb, I was ready to get back to city living. Space and location were both huge considerations for me. The house is just under 1,400 square feet, so there's plenty of room for just me or a small family. It's typically less expensive to buy rather than rent here in Pittsburgh, so I was able to get what I needed and wanted well within my budget. I'm locked into a mortgage that is just above $650 a month (including rather high taxes and my homeowner's insurance), so it was a wise financial move. I'm going into my fourth year here and despite some expensive home maintenance-type expenditures, I'm pretty happy with my decision to purchase this house. I'm looking to take on a rental property in this neighborhood once my own house has been completed to my satisfaction.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:08 PM

10,276 posts, read 6,528,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
or decking, etc., in a condom).
a what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or