U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,779,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
a what?
c. 1962, the first (now called "condominium") complex was erected in the nearby suburbs. We referred to those as "condoms" for decades. Then, I guess, one day, that teacher brought a cucumber to school, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:56 PM

5,555 posts, read 5,618,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i got a 1200 sq ft house on 1/2 acre, 2 bedroom, 2 bath. smallest i could fine.

if i had my way, it be a one bedroom, one bath 800 sq ft on 1/4 acre.
I am with you. I do not want a lot of space.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:46 PM

26,106 posts, read 50,392,024 times
If I had it my way... it would be a large warehouse/loft with living quarters and a home for my 50 vehicle antique car collection and a small dedicated area for my shop space.

As time goes on the likelihood fades...

Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 PM

31,540 posts, read 57,970,974 times
Please list age. None of your business
Type of property: Single family, 3 bedroom, 2-story home
Why did you choose this type of property? I could afford it
What is more important? Space or Commute to Work? Both
Price. Did you stretch your budget to get in to your desired property? Absolutely not. I'm not stupid.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:23 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,782,984 times
I enjoyed renting but kids are getting bigger now so ... townhouse baby!

Old 03-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I enjoyed renting but kids are getting bigger now so ... townhouse baby!
Wait! So you rented while the the kids were young, now you are going to buy?

I like renting too.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:39 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,167,786 times
Turquoise carpet, pink bathroom tiles, popcorn ceilings, rattan furniture, and the smell of mothballs.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:25 AM

174 posts, read 84,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am interested in the type of properties single middle aged people without children buy.

Please list age. Not single but thought I would answer anyways. We are middle age empty nesters, and recently moved my elderly mom in with us.
Type of property: Villa/condo with HOA 2 bedrooms and 2 baths on first floor, and a loft and another bath on 2nd floor for guests. 2100 sq feet of finished space, with a 2 car garage/no basement. I would anticipate another downsize at retirement, but given this new living arrangement, this layout was ideal.

We previously had a large single family home with in-law with almost 2 acres. As another poster mentioned, I do like having life going on around us i.e. people walking dogs etc.

Why did you choose this type of property? No maintenance and wanted to downsize
What is more important? Space or Commute to Work? Husband does have a long commute, but it is a desirable area and the layout was ideal. I don't think this will be our forever home, as I think we would move a bit farther south at retirement.
Price. Did you stretch your budget to get in to your desired property? No
Please list age. Not single but thought I would answer anyways. We are middle age empty nesters, and recently moved my elderly mom in with us.
Type of property: Villa/condo with HOA 2 bedrooms and 2 baths on first floor, and a loft and 3rd bath on 2nd floor for guests. 2100 sq feet of finished space, with a 2 car garage/no basement. I would anticipate another downsize at retirement, but given this new living arrangement, this layout was ideal.

We previously had a large single family home with in-law with almost 2 acres. As another poster mentioned, I do like having life going on around us i.e. people walking dogs etc.

Why did you choose this type of property? No maintenance and wanted to downsize
What is more important? Space or Commute to Work? Husband does have a long commute, but it is a desirable area and the layout was ideal. I don't think this will be our forever home, as I think we would move a bit farther south at retirement.
Price. Did you stretch your budget to get in to your desired property? No

Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,782,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Wait! So you rented while the the kids were young, now you are going to buy?

I like renting too.
Yes. Renting a 1-BR 800sqft apartment @$10,200/yr close to work, buying a to-build 2-BR 1400sqft townhouse that is on the other side of town but just on the countyline so it is still close to work. The other county where I will be buying is almost half of work county's property tax. It did not matter when I'm renting but will when buying.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Yes. Renting a 1-BR 800sqft apartment @$10,200/yr close to work, buying a to-build 2-BR 1400sqft townhouse that is on the other side of town but just on the countyline so it is still close to work. The other county where I will be buying is almost half of work county's property tax. It did not matter when I'm renting but will when buying.
I am still confused. Did you raise your children in a 800 square foot apartment or was that a second apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or