Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I raised my family in a 3/2 ranch house with a added family room in the back. It's about 1600 sq ft and all the rooms are small but it worked and I've always been a fan of cozy houses. We never parked cars in the garage though, it has always been used as overflow. After 30 years I want to live somewhere new, I'm literally bored to death of my house and the rooms in it. I want new views, new stores, new neighbors and a new floor plan.

Now that I'm single, middle aged, and soon to be an empty nester, I planned to downsize into something "just for me", possibly a condo or patio home. But lately I've been eyeing a development about 3 hours away (and cheaper) that has a 2/2+den rancher that's still around 1600 sq ft. It has fewer rooms overall but they are all more spacious and there's a big walk in closet in the Master bedroom, the one thing I've always wished I had.

It may not be downsizing but it could be the perfect "just for me...plus having friends over and kids who visit for the holidays and a garage I can park in" house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:59 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
1. We are 57(me) and 61(hubby)

I've noticed this phenomenon before. It amazes me how many older married couples consider themselves "single."

I noticed on a forum that several people posted that they were "alone for the holidays - just me and my spouse" and I thought, "That's not alone!"

Old 12-28-2018, 07:44 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I've noticed this phenomenon before. It amazes me how many older married couples consider themselves "single."

I noticed on a forum that several people posted that they were "alone for the holidays - just me and my spouse" and I thought, "That's not alone!"
Tell me about it.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I raised my family in a 3/2 ranch house with a added family room in the back. It's about 1600 sq ft and all the rooms are small but it worked and I've always been a fan of cozy houses. We never parked cars in the garage though, it has always been used as overflow. After 30 years I want to live somewhere new, I'm literally bored to death of my house and the rooms in it. I want new views, new stores, new neighbors and a new floor plan.

Now that I'm single, middle aged, and soon to be an empty nester, I planned to downsize into something "just for me", possibly a condo or patio home. But lately I've been eyeing a development about 3 hours away (and cheaper) that has a 2/2+den rancher that's still around 1600 sq ft. It has fewer rooms overall but they are all more spacious and there's a big walk in closet in the Master bedroom, the one thing I've always wished I had.

It may not be downsizing but it could be the perfect "just for me...plus having friends over and kids who visit for the holidays and a garage I can park in" house.
I have a walk in closet in my apartment. It is not in the house.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:04 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:

While you make a valid point, quoting a different poster might have been a little less jarring given that her husband is actually now a widower

Old 12-29-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
While you make a valid point, quoting a different poster might have been a little less jarring given that her husband is actually now a widower
Say what? If you're saying that the OP is now deceased, how am I supposed to have insider knowledge about a random stranger on this forum?

Speaking as someone who truly is alone on the holidays, it annoys me when married folks lump themselves in with those that are truly alone in this world.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Say what? If you're saying that the OP is now deceased, how am I supposed to have insider knowledge about a random stranger on this forum?

Speaking as someone who truly is alone on the holidays, it annoys me when married folks lump themselves in with those that are truly alone in this world.
I am not dead and I am alone.

This is a depressing topic. Let us get back on topic. I just bought an actual single family house and I am happy about it. Yeah!

Old 12-29-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am not dead and I am alone.

This is one of those things that you'll never hear someone say in real life.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I am interested in the type of properties single middle aged people without children buy.

Please list age.
Type of property:
Why did you choose this type of property?
What is more important? Space or Commute to Work?
Price. Did you stretch your budget to get in to your desired property?

Type of property: Mid-century brick ranch with side-loading basement garage.
Why chosen: I'm an architectural historian and it's well built and low-maintenance.

What's more important: Peace*.
Price: I had a budget and stayed within that budget.

*Peace: Houses retain energy and I know the naysayers will go on and on about this, but some houses feel light and good and full of good memories, and other houses feel dark and heavy and depressing.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:35 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,411,905 times
Quote:
I am interested in the type of properties single middle aged people without children buy.

Please list age.
Type of property:
Why did you choose this type of property?
What is more important? Space or Commute to Work?
Price. Did you stretch your budget to get in to your desired property?

SFH - A small cottage with a small yard across the street from a lake.

Cheapest house that was not a tear down in a location close to amenities. I'm near a medical center, tons of shopping, a park, lake, close to commuter train and major highways. I live in a city but live in a quiet neighborhood.

Space

I overpaid slightly for this location but it was worth it to me to have my own place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate