Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:36 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times

Advertisements

I am only 52 so I have a while to go before I hit middle age. LOL

I am also married with 6 kids.

Lets say that I was 52, no kids, and single. (Yes sometimes that is a dream, not always but sometimes.)

Here is what I would own:

I would still own a 4 bedroom home. I see it as a sign of success to have at least 4 bedrooms. In fact I would still own the home that I have because it works well for me, kids or no kids, wife or no wife.

What I would want different is more garage space. My ideal home would have a five car garage. Picture 2, two car garage doors and a single one car garage door. The garage area would have finished walls and ceiling, awesome lighting, two walls of cabinets with a built in work bench, my tools, sink, refrigerator, big screen TV and a place to hang out and look at the beautiful cars stored in the space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:47 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,333,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Lets say that I was 52, no kids, and single. (Yes sometimes that is a dream, not always but sometimes.)

I would still own a 4 bedroom home. I see it as a sign of success to have at least 4 bedrooms. In fact I would still own the home that I have because it works well for me, kids or no kids, wife or no wife.

What I would want different is more garage space. My ideal home would have a five car garage. Picture 2, two car garage doors and a single one car garage door. The garage area would have finished walls and ceiling, awesome lighting, two walls of cabinets with a built in work bench, my tools, sink, refrigerator, big screen TV and a place to hang out and look at the beautiful cars stored in the space.
What a lovely dream space! We don't have a basement and that is one thing I wish we had more of....garage space. Thank goodness we only have the one car. It does get parked in the garage.

We also have a large zero turn lawnmower in there. Still have lots of room to open car doors even with lawn stuff, full size garage refrigerator, chest freezer, standing cabinet and large tool chest on wheels. Even some shelving.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:54 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,820,966 times
If the middle-age, single people buying homes are smart, they will buy a home that married people with children will want to buy when it comes time to sell. Otherwise, the demographic for single, middle-age people buying/selling homes for only the same, is so narrow, they will likely be stuck in a home they cannot resell.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
What a lovely dream space! We don't have a basement and that is one thing I wish we had more of....garage space. Thank goodness we only have the one car. It does get parked in the garage.

We also have a large zero turn lawnmower in there. Still have lots of room to open car doors even with lawn stuff, full size garage refrigerator, chest freezer, standing cabinet and large tool chest on wheels. Even some shelving.
The garage is a dream. Wish we had a garage that big. No basements here on the coast, at least in my area.

we only have a 6,000 square foot lot. Not enough space for the garage I want. Home is fine though. We love the place we live in and if I was a middle age guy with no kids I would still live in the home I have and if I could get the garage I want that would be included. Many homes here have three car garages. When my home was built two car garages were the norm. In my neighborhood some of the garages also include a one car garage door at the back yard side of the garage. Used to be called a boat door. You could park a small trailered boat in the back yard and still have room for two cars in the garage.

I do have room to add an additional one car garage, next to our two car garage, or make the two car garage larger.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,868,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
If the middle-age, single people buying homes are smart, they will buy a home that married people with children will want to buy when it comes time to sell. Otherwise, the demographic for single, middle-age people buying/selling homes for only the same, is so narrow, they will likely be stuck in a home they cannot resell.
As a single, childfree person, this is a fairly important issue for me. While I want a condominium for sure (which I know will rule out many, but not all, families as buyers), I do take the resale value into account. So I at least look for places in decent school districts. Especially considering that when today's Millennials start having kids, they'll be more open to raising kids in a condominium, than Baby Boomers or Generation X'ers. But school districts will always be important, unless some statewide overhaul takes place in the next ten years.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:21 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
A finished garage or barn is my dream... about 3600 square feet with dimensions 40x90 is just the ticket...

As SOONTOBENSURPRISE posted so eloquently... it is not just a garage but a extension of living space and which I could easily fill in a tasteful way...

The hard part is I know exactly what I want but obtaining it continues to be more and more elusive...

Old 03-23-2018, 10:08 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,383,941 times
my first apartment was like 600 sq feet, small bedroom to sleep, small living room to watch tv, small kitchen to cook a dinner, it was great, took about 15 minute to clean and the rest was my time. I wish I had a house that small. not no tiny house on a trailer but a small one bedroom

Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
^^^ My first house was that small... just over 600 square feet 1910 cottage on a 25x100 city lot... still have it all these years later and only two renters since I moved...

I wanted to own so bad that I bought the least expensive single family home on the Oakland MLS at the time... and made it mine to shock of many... best single financial decision ever. just 22 and a home owner...

Still want that loft or warehouse and probably always will... the 600 square feet living area will always be enough just add 5,000 square feet of warehouse!

Old 03-24-2018, 07:48 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,477,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Lol! You are such a man.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,477,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You would think that, right? Not where I live or where I am going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate