U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:42 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,494,602 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the type of properties single middle aged people without children buy.

Please list age.
Type of property:
Why did you choose this type of property?
What is more important? Space or Commute to Work?
Price. Did you stretch your budget to get in to your desired property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 06:01 AM

26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am interested in the type of properties single middle aged people without children buy.
Short answer: The same as anyone else and for mostly the same reasons.

People who like yards and gardens or have some other use for them like pets...
People who prefer to have someone else do everything...

cutting to the chase... what are you scheming and dreaming about and trying to justify?

Old 03-10-2018, 06:18 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:

Please list age.
Type of property:

Don't ask my age.

Single family house

I have 2 small dogs, it's hard to find a rental that accepts them. I have a backyard. It was the best house I could afford. I was lucky to get it, I never thought I could afford a home.

Mine wasn't about space or commute. I think commute is more important.

Price, no comment, but it my mortgage costs less than what a roommate would charge in my are for a room. I had to buy because I could not afford to rent. It wasn't my desired property it was the last decent home in the area in my price range.

Overall I am thrilled. Peace of mind, no LL, no one telling me I can't have another pet live here. Plus I was very lucky to find this place. Prices have skyrocketed for older starter homes and the cheapest ones are 60% more expensive than I bought for and some of those have problems or are cash only or will never appraise for what they are asking.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
Whatever offered the best resale for the lowest price. You're going to get so many different answers that this question is really not worth asking.

I focus on codes and maintenance. I like vinyl siding, normal pitched roof with an attic space properly insulated and vented, full basements, natural gas forced air heat and also natural gas dryers and water heaters if possible, properly grounded electrical systems with good numbers of circuits, receptacles that are not back stabbed and are up to code, all that good stuff. I will not buy a house without a basement, sitting on either a crawl space or concrete slab. I prefer a ranch but a split foyer is fine. I prefer the garage NOT be under the living space like they used to build them for awhile, but off to the side of the home.

I focus on the guts as the guts are more expensive to fix than cosmetic stuff like painting. If you buy the house with ugly walls but good roof shingles and siding, you'll spend less money to fix than the immaculately painted walls with a roof that needs replacing.

Also new cabinets and countertops are a luxury, not a requirement. A coat of primer and 2 coats of white semi gloss can make old cabinets look fine depending on the cabinets.. I'm not going to waste 50 grand on cosmetic interior improvements designed to keep up with ever changing trends and I find granite or fancy countertops in a middle class suburban ranch home can often look out of place, at least to me...

I prefer at least a 2 stall garage, preferably 24x24 minimum.. a lot of starter homes are built with small garages like 22x22, 21x23, etc. to reduce the cost.. little stuff a lot of first time home buyers don't catch and regret later by homebuilders who cheapen out on everything to maximize profit margin.... many older homes around here had dinky one stall garages. What were they thinking....

My house I ended up buying met almost all these requirements and I got it for a great price. I'm pleased. I'm single and had time to shop around and look inside homes along with reading a book on home inspection.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:33 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,789,032 times
Quote:

Please list age.
Type of property:
1. We are 57(me) and 61(hubby)
2. Just over a 1/4 acre single family plot
3. We spent a fair amount of time choosing this lot. The direction the house faces (more sun on the pool) even how the electric lines cross (we chose them to be behind the house).
4.1. Hubby telecommutes with the company in Philadelphia. The commute isn't even a consideration.
4.2. Space was definitely a consideration. Hubby needed the office space and we needed enough guest bedrooms to accommodate our kids and grandkids when they visit from Michigan.
5. We had our house built and we qualified for a larger mortgage but we didn't want to go that high.

Never, ever stretch your budget when house shopping. Figures always work on paper but real life rears its head. My rule of thumb is the house payment shouldn't be more than a paycheck.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:39 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
I'm single but with a child so I don't fit your questions.

But I think that other than potentially needing a little less space, single people buy houses for the same reasons as non-single people. They just have the ability to only have to factor in one person's opinions and needs instead of two.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 AM

7,961 posts, read 6,706,083 times
I wanted maintenance free so that meant a new build. I wanted it the way I wanted it when I wanted it so that meant a new build. I wanted protection that the neighborhood would look as good years down the road as it did new so this meant an HOA with control. I do not like to do nor do I do yard work so that meant an HOA where they did all landscaping. I found what I wanted but I had to accept a few things, mainly only a one car garage but as I only have one car and I am not a hoarder that works.

We have no amenities thus no cost nor aggravation of such. Largest demographic here are middle age, professionals, both singles and couples with no children. Also a fair amount of older, retired, both singles (like myself) and couples. Very few children. Of 112 homes, maybe 10 kids.

1400sq ft, 3 bedroom, two bath for $135K. A patio home so the sides of the homes are within 25ft of each other. Care free living at its best. In Lexington (Columbia area) SC.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:06 AM

4,110 posts, read 3,402,459 times
I'm going to be the odd duck.
Maybe I'll regret it, but I bought a 5200 sq ft 2 story home at age 60 and single.
It's my first house and a bit of a trophy house.
It made sense in that my housing cost was 1975 a month when I rented. It's now 2775 a month.
With tax deductions it comes down to 2184. So it's 200 a month more to live in a much nicer and larger house.
The Kicker for me is the walk out basement is a 1200 sq foot in law unit I get 950 a month for.
So my housing drops to about 1200 a month which is much less than renting was. I'm in a better neighborhood with better schools so I hope there is also appreciation.

Only time will tell if it was the right move. If it came down to it , I could rent the house and live in the in law unit with no stairs and the rent for the house for about 2600 and then housing would be only about 175 a month.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,789,032 times
We upsized also. Even as empty nesters.

Good for you, aslowdodge!

Old 03-10-2018, 01:44 PM

1,230 posts, read 477,838 times
I don't fit the normal house buyer mold but here goes.

Please list age. - I was 52 when I bought my current house. So I was middle age then. Divorced. Kids were long ago adults on their own.

Type of property: - One level, ranch style, on 1.1 acres.

Why did you choose this type of property? - I am a car collector. I needed a large lot for a garage/workshop in the back yard.

What is more important? Space or Commute to Work? - Space. Commute took care of itself. The first year in the house my commute was about 40 minutes. For my next job until retirement my commute was only about 20 minutes.

Price. Did you stretch your budget to get in to your desired property? - No. I sold two rentals and paid cash for my house. Had plenty of cash left over to put up my building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or