U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2018, 04:24 PM
 
10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times
Reputation: 10857

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
I don't think it's a good idea. I'd rather buy your home with old appliances in need of replacement as we would not be happy with cheap ones. And I'd hate to have to throw out new, but sub par ones. And selling them is a pain. But that's just me.
But that's you and the guy who doesn't like stainless steel. If you are selling a home and the appliances are old that's an instant turn off, unless you hold on to that $2,500 an offer it as an incentive or price reduction towards new appliances in the ad.

It depends on the home. If the kitchen is not updated and they are going to tear it down don't bother with appliances.

If it's an older starter home it depends, if it's in a hot market it doesn't matter as much. A lot of variables.

If the OP would tell us more we could offer better advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2018, 04:28 PM
 
27,544 posts, read 45,007,788 times
Reputation: 14073
New appliances in a dated kitchen just make it look more dated
Then buyers/shoppers wonder why did they do that and not change cabinets/counters etc...

Look at what you are up against on the market
Depending on how YOUR local market is selling, it might just be better to price your house for the market and then wait and see
Changing appliances is usually fairly simple and can be done later
Or use that as negotiating tactic--like 2K credit for appliances but that is dangerous precedent because then the buyers start wanting to nickle and dime you for everything old about the house

Older homes have lower price points than newer homes of same sq ft because they are OLDER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
14,318 posts, read 17,531,665 times
Reputation: 22164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Depends what your appliances look like now. Are they just "not stainless" but otherwise ok? Not sure you could get top quality for $2,500 for all four.
I tend to agree with this. However, I would seriously consider replacing the corian rather than fixing it. UNLESS it's very popular in your immediate area (and I don't know anyplace where corian is still "very popular")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 05:23 PM
 
3,051 posts, read 1,216,716 times
Reputation: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
But that's you and the guy who doesn't like stainless steel. If you are selling a home and the appliances are old that's an instant turn off, unless you hold on to that $2,500 an offer it as an incentive or price reduction towards new appliances in the ad.

It depends on the home. If the kitchen is not updated and they are going to tear it down don't bother with appliances.

If it's an older starter home it depends, if it's in a hot market it doesn't matter as much. A lot of variables.

If the OP would tell us more we could offer better advice.
Just because it is stainless doesn’t mean it is good. You can get low end stainless now. There are lots of places that just leave the older ones in to let the new person pick ones that suit their needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 05:28 PM
 
112 posts, read 92,838 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
There's a ton of missing information such as your local market conditions, how fast you want to sell, general condition of the house, etc. but generally speaking I would get the new appliances. You may or may not recoup the cost but I think it would help you sell faster.
house is 15 years old, needs paint and flooring. Carpet is thrashed. Putting in wood ceramic flooring, or wood laminate havent decided yet, I want to sell fairly quickly, but towards end of year, retiring and moving next January, Area is soewhat hot, central valley, about an hour from silicone valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM
 
112 posts, read 92,838 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
New appliances in a dated kitchen just make it look more dated
Then buyers/shoppers wonder why did they do that and not change cabinets/counters etc...

Look at what you are up against on the market
Depending on how YOUR local market is selling, it might just be better to price your house for the market and then wait and see
Changing appliances is usually fairly simple and can be done later
Or use that as negotiating tactic--like 2K credit for appliances but that is dangerous precedent because then the buyers start wanting to nickle and dime you for everything old about the house im thinking same thing

Older homes have lower price points than newer homes of same sq ft because they are OLDER
house is 15 years old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 PM
 
289 posts, read 161,787 times
Reputation: 458
Stainless steel appliances are outdated, plus when you think they are easy to clean, they are not. Smudges, damages from cleaning products, easily scratched, etc. I equate stainless steel appliances with the late 1990s to early 2000s like the avocado green appliances with the 1970s.

I will be buying a house soon, and I prefer black appliances.

I don't even want a refrigerator with a water/ice dispenser. The tube gets dirty and clogged and moldy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 05:49 PM
 
11,639 posts, read 5,486,973 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Stainless steel appliances are outdated, plus when you think they are easy to clean, they are not. Smudges, damages from cleaning products, easily scratched, etc. I equate stainless steel appliances with the late 1990s to early 2000s like the avocado green appliances with the 1970s.

I will be buying a house soon, and I prefer black appliances.

I don't even want a refrigerator with a water/ice dispenser. The tube gets dirty and clogged and moldy.
I went for the nice look of SS for the fridge. Can't get it clean. I hate that aspect. Funny you mention black. I was dead-set against it. Could have had a nicer one on clearance except I refused black. Now I want that one, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 05:50 PM
 
11,639 posts, read 5,486,973 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
house is 15 years old, needs paint and flooring. Carpet is thrashed. Putting in wood ceramic flooring, or wood laminate havent decided yet, I want to sell fairly quickly, but towards end of year, retiring and moving next January, Area is soewhat hot, central valley, about an hour from silicone valley
People might hate the flooring you choose too. IDK if you are going to re-coup all that. I am a fan of allowances for such things. Let the buyer's choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,641 posts, read 53,545,549 times
Reputation: 18559
If you are talking cheap SS, forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top