U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 01:28 PM

5,404 posts, read 3,382,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
Tracy, not really any brand new homes, but a lot of brand new luxury, whatever that means, apartment complexes. btw, it has solar, which i think is a big sell point
Is the solar owned or is it a Solar City-type deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 02:12 PM

603 posts, read 838,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Stainless steel appliances are outdated, plus when you think they are easy to clean, they are not. Smudges, damages from cleaning products, easily scratched, etc. I equate stainless steel appliances with the late 1990s to early 2000s like the avocado green appliances with the 1970s.

I will be buying a house soon, and I prefer black appliances.

I don't even want a refrigerator with a water/ice dispenser. The tube gets dirty and clogged and moldy.

I have to agree. I remodeled my kitchen 8 year ago -- antique white cabinets and all new GE Profile stainless appliances. I HATE them. I am a neat freak and clean them often but you CANNOT get some of the smudges off. I have not yet looked at the new dark stainless out there -- I hear it is completely different -- more of a granite color. I would consider that.

And I hate in-door water and ice dispensers. They take up room inside the refrigerator, leak onto the wood floors and ALWAYS have mechanical problems. But I believe I am in the minority with this opinion.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:20 PM

9,314 posts, read 17,946,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Offer an allowance. I hate stainless, would rather have black or white. or turquoise. I'd love a turquoise kitchen. Imagine trying to sell that!
Turquoise would be a hoot! I'd love a turquoise kitchen!

Personally, I hate stainless AND black because they both show fingerprints immediately. For some entirely unknown reason, white appliances don't seem to show dirt. Haven't a clue how they manage that.

As for if you need new appliances or not, if you're asking $500K for the house, then maybe as a previous poster suggested, put in new ones after you move out if you're gonna do it at all. Is there any way you'd be able to let the new owner return the appliances if they didn't like those? Get some sort of 120 day return policy on them if they weren't used or something?

Old 03-11-2018, 05:56 PM

8,844 posts, read 17,437,561 times
Yes, get new appliances. What is expected in your price range?

Old 03-11-2018, 06:25 PM

112 posts, read 92,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is the solar owned or is it a Solar City-type deal?
owned

Old 03-11-2018, 06:27 PM

112 posts, read 92,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Yes, get new appliances. What is expected in your price range?
the ones i have looked at online show pretty nice kitchens, stainless appliances and wood floors

Old 03-11-2018, 06:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 3,327,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
In my experience not that many people object to stainless steel.

I spent $4,500 on new SS appliances for the house we sold last year. It made such a big difference in how the kitchen looked that I had a strong urge to move back there. My appliances at home are crappy, white and 25 years old.
Mine are white and 30 years old too...

I put new stainless in any homes I'm selling though. They're universal enough. Whites out, blacks a lot rarer than stainless.

Mine work... most of the time just fine. Had to kick the dishwasher the other day as I was starting to think it finally died but it came back to life.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:41 PM

4,210 posts, read 551,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I tend to agree with this. However, I would seriously consider replacing the corian rather than fixing it. UNLESS it's very popular in your immediate area (and I don't know anyplace where corian is still "very popular")
Well, I for one love Corian and hate stainless appliances--corian is easy to clean, stainless is not--it looks great for one second before your family puts their hands all over it.

I personally hope that the stainless appliance fad dies out along with pedestal bathroom sinks. Neither one is user friendly IMO. If I purchased a house with stainless appliances these would be the first things to go.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 PM

4,210 posts, read 551,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
I have to agree. I remodeled my kitchen 8 year ago -- antique white cabinets and all new GE Profile stainless appliances. I HATE them. I am a neat freak and clean them often but you CANNOT get some of the smudges off. I have not yet looked at the new dark stainless out there -- I hear it is completely different -- more of a granite color. I would consider that.

And I hate in-door water and ice dispensers. They take up room inside the refrigerator, leak onto the wood floors and ALWAYS have mechanical problems. But I believe I am in the minority with this opinion.
No, you're not. See my previous post

I think men like stainless appliances and that's why they're so popular. If they had to clean them, however, the appliances would be out on the curb in a flash. I

Ice makers and water dispensers in refrigerators are the biggest waste of space and money. Again, we who spend endless hours cleaning these appliances know this.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:52 PM

809 posts, read 1,270,419 times
Add me to the SS haters. I'm glad in the house we bought the appliances are black. I've never liked the look of SS and now even less when every other house have SS appliances.

I also don't like the water dispensers. We don't use ours and the ice maker broke and it's just a big space waster in the freezer.

I'd offer an allowance instead of replacing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or