U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:22 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,219,723 times

Advertisements

These are indoor-outdoor farm cats. The buyer made an instant connection with one of them, and asked if they could be included with the house.

We'll be moving from 3 acres in Hawaii on a little-used road to a small apartment in a city in Minnesota. It'll be a huge adjustment for us, and I've stayed awake nights worrying how the cats are going to acclimate. If (when) they get out, it will be a strange environment--cars, dogs, and weather they have no experience with. I think the best thing for them is to stay where they are. If whoever buys the house doesn't want them, we will take them with us. Would not consider leaving them without a solid home.

Quarantine is only for bringing animals into Hawaii; it's pretty easy to take them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 12:34 PM

3,127 posts, read 2,629,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
These are indoor-outdoor farm cats. The buyer made an instant connection with one of them, and asked if they could be included with the house.

We'll be moving from 3 acres in Hawaii on a little-used road to a small apartment in a city in Minnesota. It'll be a huge adjustment for us, and I've stayed awake nights worrying how the cats are going to acclimate. If (when) they get out, it will be a strange environment--cars, dogs, and weather they have no experience with. I think the best thing for them is to stay where they are. If whoever buys the house doesn't want them, we will take them with us. Would not consider leaving them without a solid home.

Quarantine is only for bringing animals into Hawaii; it's pretty easy to take them out.

Let's hope that the new owner is serious about caring for your cats. If he tires of them or if they just can't get acclimated to their new owner, chances are that they will wind up at the local SPCA, where they will be euthanized in the high altitude chamber.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:46 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,792,183 times
Trying to make the OP feel bad? Sheesh

To the OP: Congratulations! Hope it all works out for you!

Old 03-11-2018, 04:15 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,546,813 times
Quote:
We finally got our house listed for sale today.

Got a cash offer hours later; it was a bit low for first day, but he's willing to take our cats (and obviously loved them), and doesn't want the furnishings, which could net us a couple thousand.

It's cash, and he'll take the cats (a huge worry for us). We're sleeping on it, but I think we're going for it.

That means we have to be out of the house in 2-3 weeks, but friends will put us up for a while.

We thought it would be at least 2 months before closing. Yikes!

Not really a question, I guess, just a stunned soliloquy.

Did I mention he'll take the cats?
When I had to sell my first house I was expecting some wait. House was about 4 years old, not large, modest but pleasant house in snow country. Owned it for 3 years. The only change I made was adding a manufactured single car garage. 2 hours after listing it got an over-asking offer. The buyer somehow found out about the upcoming listing a couple of days before and was so worried about losing it she was waiting at the realtor's office before business hours with a check in her hand. She hadn't even walked through it yet. The showing was set up, I came home an hour later, then the realtor was back on the front step almost before I took off my coat. She asked me if I "wanted to sell my house and would I take over asking for it". Well, of course! Even she was surprised. All it takes is one person who loves it.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:28 PM

10,269 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Let's hope that the new owner is serious about caring for your cats. If he tires of them or if they just can't get acclimated to their new owner, chances are that they will wind up at the local SPCA, where they will be euthanized in the high altitude chamber.
Cats can fend for themselves or find someone else to feed them, there are a lot of animal lovers out there that feed stray cats.

I think the OP is doing something selfless, she's letting cats that she loves stay where they live and made arrangements for someone to care for them in the same house. Outdoor cats in Hawaii won't do well in an apartment or in a cold climate.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:29 PM

1,779 posts, read 860,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Or their lives could be even more miserable by being put on a plane, terrifying them, and then being closed up in an apartment after being outdoor/barn cats for how ever many years. No need to try to guilt the OP for trying to ensure that the cats can stay where they are their happiest.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:39 PM

28,213 posts, read 2,199,762 times
Quote:

Thank you for the explanation, it makes alot more sense now ( your decision) What a huge transition for you too!!

Old 03-11-2018, 04:40 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,219,723 times
Thanks for the kitty support. It will be hard to leave them.

Looks like the deal is going through; he even wrote the cats into his offer.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:44 PM

691 posts, read 744,244 times
Quote:
Thanks for the kitty support. It will be hard to leave them.

Looks like the deal is going through; he even wrote the cats into his offer.
Congratulations and best wishes with the move!

Old 03-11-2018, 05:00 PM

858 posts, read 476,862 times
If a house sells that fast, I would start to wonder whether it's priced too low... Anyone thinks this way? Seem to me, a 3-4 week wait time to getting an offer suggests I'm getting the highest price the market would bear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or