U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 06:49 AM

1,528 posts, read 725,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
When I first got into this business, my mentor who was on the real estate side of the business told me that there will be two things about real estate sales, and for me to watch closely. She's gone now, but I had many opportunities to tell her she was right.

The first truism, the first offer a seller gets will usually be the best. Now, she didn't live in the escalating offer, whether by intent or market shortage. So absent of multiple offers, i found this to be very true on homes I owned and of the many buyers I work with. Thinking you undersold the home is always the punch you feel, but it's not often the case. In fact, one home sold right at list, but appraised for less. This was an appreciating market, so we met the buyers half way. (Late 80's).

The second truism is on the buy side: the first home you make an offer on and don't get (or fall in love with and decide not to make an offer on) will be the yardstick used to measure all other homes. Again, this also describes my personal experience. I recall one home was something like 15K over our budget and it created a huge argument, lol. We never made an offer. It all worked out, but I remember (every inch of) that house. It also added 60 days to our search, when we had sold our home. Luckily our buyers hung in there (and probably why they met us half-way on the appraised value).
Hard to disagree that if there is only one offer (i.e. not multiple offers), that offer will be the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 AM

3,828 posts, read 2,050,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Hard to disagree that if there is only one offer (i.e. not multiple offers), that offer will be the best!
Well, if you accept it, it will have been the best. But the point is that if you turn down that first offer, future offers will not likely be higher, the longer it sits on the market.

Of course, we never know what's coming in the future.... but I have certainly heard good realtors say this.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:17 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Congrats to you and the cats

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I think my neighbor might be leaving his cat when he moves. The cat has lived on our mountain for his whole life and my neighbor is buying an RV and will be traveling the US. That's not a fair life for a cat who has had the freedom of being outdoors all day long when he chooses.
WTF, isnt it harder on the cat to just abandon them to fend for themselves?

Old 03-12-2018, 09:27 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Per o/p post cat will NOT be fending for itself, new owner wants the cat very much! Less stress on cat in it's familiar environment with new owner then moving from Hawaii to Minnesota.

the outdoor mountain cat will do just fine also

Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 AM

5,865 posts, read 3,144,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
If a house sells that fast, I would start to wonder whether it's priced too low... Anyone thinks this way? Seem to me, a 3-4 week wait time to getting an offer suggests I'm getting the highest price the market would bear...
It was a lowball offer, so the house may be priced right. There is a house on my street that recently went on the market for what most would consider to be overpriced. It sold on the first day. The appraisal did come in under the selling price, which I suspected would happen. But the seller and buyer came to an agreement, as the "Sale Pending" sign was just replaced with a "Sold" sign. Good news for me, as it's the same floor plan as mine and the asking price was $111,000 over what I paid for mine 3.5 years ago. This is in a neighborhood where houses sell the the 200's and low 300's.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 AM

1,779 posts, read 859,518 times
Quote:
My neighbor isn't abandoning the cat. If the new owners of his house aren't interested in keeping the cat, he'll take him with him or find a different home. My personal cat has never been outdoors, she would do fine as an RV cat, a cat that has hunted and roamed his whole life will be miserable cooped up in an RV.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:02 PM

245 posts, read 150,381 times
Cats used to being outdoors like it. That's why they run outside when the door is open. They're sneaky, clever creatures. One of our cats takes off every time my mother-in-law visits - like I said, clever - even if it's the dead of winter. I've found him in the garage, where he looked at me as if to say, "Don't you dare tell her... PLEASE." Whether it's 3 days or 2 weeks - and it's only HER, not any other visitors - he makes himself scarce. :P He comes back within an hour of her leaving for good, every time. It's amazing, how he knows. lol

When we go on vacation, we leave them both outside and a giant bowl (industrial mixing bowl) of cat food and another of water on the porch. They're almost entirely full still, when we come back. These are also cats that eat squirrels, mice, and chipmunks every day. There are many sources of water and food outside the house... it's why there are so many cats.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:10 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,495,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, if you accept it, it will have been the best. But the point is that if you turn down that first offer, future offers will not likely be higher, the longer it sits on the market.

Of course, we never know what's coming in the future.... but I have certainly heard good realtors say this.
Realtors are biased in this regard because they want to make a quick sale.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:11 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,495,798 times
Quote:
The new home buyers are going to take care of the cats.. They already bonded with one right away and have written it into the contract of the house that they convey with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or