Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 PM

143 posts, read 217,719 times

Advertisements

My house received an offer its second day on the market. The offer was pretty low, but nobody else who looked at the house over the next week seemed interested, so after a week of back and forth we settled on a fair purchase price. My sister's house actually sold to the very first people who looked at it for over asking price. She was not expecting her house to sell that quickly and so she wasn't prepared to move out yet, but luckily for her the buyers allowed her to stay in the house until she closed on her new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
When in the investment real estate business, I sold a lot of homes for rentals to investors. All newer middle class homes.

Fastest I ever sold a home, a man came to me on Friday and was going to have the VA repo it on Monday. I called the VA and had them send me the papers for an assumption, getting the total loan balance for a Monday sale when the paper work would arrive. I knew the manager over the phone, as we had done business a few times. She made it so easy for me to work with, and she did not have to do a foreclosure, and had a high income doctor on the mortgage. He left and went to the car and moved some things from the back seat into the trunk. I had sold it on the Telephone before he drove out of the parking lot selling it to his doctor. Monday I had gotten the title insurance commitment, and we closed that afternoon. VA was happy. The seller became a renter for the home, and never missed a rent payment but could not keep his payments paid. Took absolutely perfect care of the home, and the doctor loved him as a renter. He thanked the Doctor for rescuing him, buying the home, and letting him rent from him.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Let's hope that the new owner is serious about caring for your cats. If he tires of them or if they just can't get acclimated to their new owner, chances are that they will wind up at the local SPCA, where they will be euthanized in the high altitude chamber.
It sounds pretty hopeful. I think they'll be fine. Indoor-outdoor cats do not involve a huge responsibility (at least from my experience they're fairly easy to take care of. Also from my experience indoor-outdoor cats aren't too picky about their owner, they gravitate to whomever. If there was an instant connection--very common among cats--they'll probably get along fine together).

Sounds like the OP has enough on their plate with the move to such a drastically different environment (which the cats may not have fared too well in--much more likely); no need to worry them about something not too likely to happen.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Thanks for the kitty support. It will be hard to leave them.

Looks like the deal is going through; he even wrote the cats into his offer.
I tried to move barn cats once when my family was displaced because of a major flood. We were given a small farm house to live in for the 6 months while we repaired our damaged home. We fell in love with a couple of dairy/barn cats that visited us constantly and on one trip I tried to get one, into a carrier to take to my city home for an afternoon just to see if she would acclimate...I couldn't even get her into the car. The other I was able to take along, but she spent the whole day hiding and reacting to any outside noises, no matter how small.

I gave up the idea right then, because she obviously would have been miserable. We enjoyed these cats that we had named Maggie and Iris while we stayed in the farm house....and driving off for the final trip home was hard....But it was for the best for them.
Congrats on your offer. Especially about your cats. And, welcome to my neck of the woods.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We wondered, too, but no one else has even asked to see it. It's just the perfect guy at the perfect time.
Which makes it perfect. Sounds like the little lizard hunters will be well cared for. Congratulations!! I'll be listing mine soon and hope to HEAVEN it goes quickly!!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:08 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Congratulations on getting an offer right away. I love hearing things like this. Even if you decide you don't want to take it, what a relief to at least have a nibble. May the hot housing market continue for at least another year or two!

Re; the cats. I wouldn't worry about this. We once bought a townhouse that came with a cat. The seller was moving to Ireland and was going to put an ad in the paper to give the cat away. We happened to like cats so we offered to keep him. we had that cat for another 15 years, he was a great cat and had no trouble at all adjusting to us.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Per o/p post cat will NOT be fending for itself, new owner wants the cat very much! Less stress on cat in it's familiar environment with new owner then moving from Hawaii to Minnesota.

the outdoor mountain cat will do just fine also
Yeah, agreed, but here we go...someone posts about a subject, makes a tiny mention of some other detail, and people jump all over that detail and make it the point of the thread. And THEN they can't even get the detail right....they start making up false scenarios and attacking the OP based on those false scenarios. *sigh* That's exactly what just happened to me on a question I recently asked.

PEOPLE, READ THE ORIGINAL POST THOROUGHLY.

OP, I'm happy for you about your quick offer. Hope your move goes smoothly.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
thanks for all the congrats and encouragement! We agreed on a great price (1.24% below asking), have passed the inspections, are waiting on the cash that should post tomorrow. Then we move in 2 weeks, leaving behind most of our worldly goods--he decided to take our furnishings and sell the mainland stuff he had planned to ship over here. smart guy, he makes money and saves money!

We have a great place to stay until we leave--a friend's ohana (guest house) that looks out over a river. That lets us get better ticket prices and be around if there's trouble with the cats.

And STILL nobody else has asked to see the house (I'm kind of hurt, it looks great in the listing). We definitely did the right thing taking this offer.

Last edited by steiconi; 03-13-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Trying to make the OP feel bad? Sheesh

To the OP: Congratulations! Hope it all works out for you!
Leaving one's animals to a person one doesn't even know is a high-risk move. Lots of crazy "nice" people in the world. For all the OP knows, the new owner is an animal abuser. At the very least, the OP needs to require that the new owner provide a vet reference. They owe their animals at least that much care, before they leave them behind to an unknown fate. Cats aren't furniture.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:02 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Provide vet reference? Seriously?

Oh my word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate