Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:47 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Some roosters fight more than others. We currently have two, have had as many as three in the past. Usually in time they work out a pecking order and get along OK... if they're not the hyper-aggressive ones that are bred to fight.

Fertilized eggs last just as long as unfertilized... as long as they're kept cool. Roosters are good for a flock and do protect the hens, sometimes sacrificing themselves in the process.

$2 a dozen is cheaper than factory farm eggs around here... Home grown eggs around here sell for twice that, though we have never charged, we usually give our extras away to friends.
I'm a city person but I think the best thing about one's own eggs is the pullet egg (roughly sub 40 grams - about half the size of an X large supermarket egg). They are delicious and not generally available in markets. I think they are often destroyed as they are not commercially acceptable with most retailers. Do you have young hens producing these eggs? Are they available in the market? Farmer's markets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I've seen what hens go through to make and lay them. It's not worth it at that price...
yeah, 43 cents a dozen? Seriously? That's insane.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:53 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I'm a city person but I think the best thing about one's own eggs is the pullet egg (roughly sub 40 grams - about half the size of an X large supermarket egg). They are delicious and not generally available in markets. I think they are often destroyed as they are not commercially acceptable with most retailers. Do you have young hens producing these eggs? Are they available in the market? Farmer's markets?
Young hens will often lay very small eggs when they're just getting started. They either lay little tiny eggs (we call them fart eggs ) or they lay big huge double yolkers. Usually within the first half dozen, they get their system calibrated correctly, and the rest come out normal size with the right number of yolks.

You could just get Banty hens, or look for people selling banty eggs... they're smaller.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:56 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Probably closest to water or power, making upkeep easier. The noise would probably be there no matter where they were on that small a lot. Once you start hearing them and not liking it, you hear them. Poor neighbors! Some communities permit backyard poultry but no roosters. I had seemingly nice neighbors who decided to let their grade school kids keep poultry. Their rooster was gorgeous, but had an odd choking strangled-sounding crow. That bird could wake the dead. Suddenly it stopped. Found out that their poultry pen was torn open one night (OK, plausible...we had bears), but mysteriously, the only bird killed was that rooster.
There isn't any power or water on the 13 acres yet; just raw land. The reason I think it is more than a coincidence is the timeline. The 13 acre property sat idle for two years but as soon as the property in front was listed the fencing was going up.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Young hens will often lay very small eggs when they're just getting started. They either lay little tiny eggs (we call them fart eggs ) or they lay big huge double yolkers. Usually within the first half dozen, they get their system calibrated correctly, and the rest come out normal size with the right number of yolks.

You could just get Banty hens, or look for people selling banty eggs... they're smaller.
yolks are always bigger in proportion. 'Pullet eggs' is probably better branding than 'fart eggs' but the country parlance is quaint. Part of the attraction is that they are often destined toward the dump since the market for them is undeveloped and most consumers would not want them.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
'Pullet eggs' is probably better branding than 'fart eggs' but the country parlance is quaint.
This is why it's sometimes good to hire marketing people.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:49 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Up mountain from here some folks were building a "subdivision" of about six to ten houses. They were at the putting in the streets part when the farm across the street put up a huge sign claiming they were "Up Mountain Pig Farm". Dunno if that subdivision ever did get finished, I've not been up that way lately.

We have loads of rooster farms around here. It's illegal to fight roosters (intentionally anyway, if they do it on their own that's their problem) but it's legal to own them. They sell them for hundreds of dollars if they're the right kind of rooster, but then there's all the other roosters around here that nobody wants. There's three that wander through my yard, which is at least down from the four that there were several weeks ago before one of the neighbor's dogs got one.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:11 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
...She also said she regretted getting the rooster because it fertilizes the eggs and makes them not last as long, but she didn't know how to get rid of it...
I thought that would be obvious?

Soup.

Or fried, baked, BBQ...

Old 03-11-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
there's all the other roosters around here that nobody wants. There's three that wander through my yard, which is at least down from the four that there were several weeks ago before one of the neighbor's dogs got one.
Aren't there lots of wild/feral chickens that roam Hawaii? I thought I'd heard that.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:59 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Aren't there lots of wild/feral chickens that roam Hawaii? I thought I'd heard that.
In key west you see chickens and roosters on the street in Old Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate