U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 PM

8,388 posts, read 7,382,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
There is a two acre lot on the roadway and a 13 acre plot directly behind it. The 2 acre lot was owned by a guy that built a small house on it. After the house was built a person bought the 13 acres behind it. The only level place to build on the 13 acre lot is directly behind the 2 acre lot. No house has been built yet on the 13 acre property.

I walk by every day and noticed some fencing going up on the 13 acre lot right along the property line last week. Today I walk by and there are about 30 +/- Rooster houses set up. The noise was annoying to me just walking by. There is plenty of land on that 13 acre lot to put the birds away from neighbors but they are right on the property line.
You have answered your own question on why the fenced area was placed where it is. It is part of the only level part of the 13 acres. If you are having chickens, you are wanting them to be on level ground, not having to climb a hill to get to or from the chicken area.

The probable reason the person bought the 13 acres was it is zoned for farming, and animals and chickens are allowed in the zoning. He has refused to sell the 13 acres for years or so you state, so he has kept the land for his intended use.

Anyone that buys lots and builds in a farm zone area, must realize that the property next door, may eventually have chickens, cattle, sheep, horses, etc., right next to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Up mountain from here some folks were building a "subdivision" of about six to ten houses. They were at the putting in the streets part when the farm across the street put up a huge sign claiming they were "Up Mountain Pig Farm". Dunno if that subdivision ever did get finished, I've not been up that way lately.

We have loads of rooster farms around here. It's illegal to fight roosters (intentionally anyway, if they do it on their own that's their problem) but it's legal to own them. They sell them for hundreds of dollars if they're the right kind of rooster, but then there's all the other roosters around here that nobody wants. There's three that wander through my yard, which is at least down from the four that there were several weeks ago before one of the neighbor's dogs got one.
The pig farm put up a sign for one reason. To notify anyone that may buy a house, that they were adjoining a Pig Farm, and pig farms stink in hot weather. That way no one would be able to after they bought a home, complain about the smell, and try to do away with the pig farm. That is normal practice in cases like this.

When people buy or build a home in rural farm zoned areas, they have to realize that they are going to have to put up with farm noises, and farm animal smells. It is just part of the country life. People from the city, often just refuse to accept this fact, and want it to be changed to make them happy. They want the piece and quiet of a vacant country life. When they find out that animals and birds smell and make noise, the come unglued and want the animals banned around their property. Not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 04:50 PM

5,284 posts, read 4,573,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
On the next block from me a lady has hens and a rooster in her back yard. One time another rooster from the area got loose, it jumped in her backyard and fought with her rooster. I was walking my dogs and i rung her doorbell but she was not home.

She later told me her rooster won. She also said she regretted getting the rooster because it fertilizes the eggs and makes them not last as long, but she didn't know how to get rid of it. At least they protect her chickens, and she sells the eggs for $2 a dozen.
She could have given it to the neighbor whose rooster was killed as a gesture of consolation.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:27 PM

10,274 posts, read 6,519,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
She could have given it to the neighbor whose rooster was killed as a gesture of consolation.
The other rooster wasn't killed and she didn't know who's it was.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:04 PM

10,408 posts, read 7,495,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Aren't there lots of wild/feral chickens that roam Hawaii? I thought I'd heard that.
Kauai's full of them.
Attached Thumbnails
LOL - Neighbor dispute up the road from me- Roosters!-dsc06028.jpg  

Old 03-12-2018, 09:20 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,220,030 times
Here's what happens to roosters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHHwxWZ-5U

Old 03-13-2018, 11:37 AM

314 posts, read 246,558 times
Oldtrader pointed out something I hadn't noticed in the OP. If the spot where the chickens are is the only level/buildable area in the 13 acres, then yes it does make sense to put them there.

The timing still seems a bit suspect, but the reality is that these people moved to the country and there are noise/ animals/ smells in the country.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:12 PM

5,282 posts, read 8,236,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
Oldtrader pointed out something I hadn't noticed in the OP. If the spot where the chickens are is the only level/buildable area in the 13 acres, then yes it does make sense to put them there.

The timing still seems a bit suspect, but the reality is that these people moved to the country and there are noise/ animals/ smells in the country.
There is an acre or so suitable for building. This guy placed the roosters right on the property line in what would be his front yard if he ever decides to build on it. He could have put in the back part of the lot if he wanted to.

Anyway's it will be interesting to see if it causes problems with the spec house selling.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM

8,388 posts, read 7,382,268 times
Anyone building a spec home, in an area that is zoned for livestock in the country, is taking a risk, that some livestock may be put on the property and make it more difficult to sell the home.

Just as the one poster that saw a big sign at the pig farm, when someone started developing the land across the street.

In the town where I was a broker there was a lake. A builder started building homes around this lake. I stopped in the show house one day, to pick up a brochure to send someone that requested me to do so, My client was not interested in buying a home there, but wanted the builder to build a similar home on his lot miles away for his mother.

There were a couple of dozen women there visiting. One was the one manning the show home, and others were owners. One remarked that the lake sure stunk that day, and the other said they could not understand why they were lately (summer time), having to smell that lake. They asked me if I knew why it stunk. I would not risk my license and lie under the circumstances and said, "It is no the lake that you are smelling, it is the pig farm." They all said what pig farm. "I answered, those little hut like buildings as you turn into this street, are all shelters for pigs they are raising and have been raising for years. There are a couple of hundred pigs there at all times."

The developer had explained to his sales lady, to tell them it was the lake that stunk at certain times and to tell buyers that. He was not revealing problems as required by law, but was actually having his sales person lie to the buyers to hide the problem. That was a big violation of the law to do so.

Withing a week, the developer bought the pig farm, and paid the seller to move his pigs to a more appropriate location away from people. The clean up to get rid of the smell was a real problem.

Things like that, is why someone was going to build a housing project across the street from the pig farm, the pig farmer put up his sign. That way anyone buying a house, would be unable to complain about the farm smells in hot weather.

There is a strong possibility, that the 13 acre lot owner, has plans to raise chickens, and his putting in the fence and huts, is giving notice that his property is going to be a chicken farm. That way anyone later buying the home and wanting to complain about the smell and noise from his property has no grounds to complain and cause him problems.

It is like someone buying a home directly under the flight pattern next to an airport, trying to get them to shut down the airport so they can have quiet.

I know a lot of people on this thread live inside a city or large town. They really do not understand the farm life in the country. Some like the OP say the 13 acre owner, is being vindictive. As I was raised on a large ranch, and moved many farms and ranches when in the real estate business from 1972 until I retired, I understand the problems from the farmers side. City people move to the rural farm and ranch areas, and do not want the noise of farm equipment, noise and smell from animals and birds, and feel a chicken farmer should build his pens and huts away from the houses even though the rest of the property is not suitable for the purpose to make it pleasant for someone that moves from the city to the country. Not going to happen. In farm country, you learn to live with the noise and smell or leave.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:11 AM

3,130 posts, read 1,225,527 times
Hawaii County just failed to pass a bill against rooster farms, even though cockfighting is illegal in all 50 states, and there is no other reason to raise just roosters.
VIDEO: Rooster Bill Dies After Opponents Crowd Council

The reason it failed? Because cockfighting is part of "a valued way of life for many island residents."
That's right, animal cruelty is OK because it's a tradition.

And chicken farms have larger houses where the chickens all sleep together. You can tell it's a rooster farm when there is a hut for each bird. They are tethered to their huts to keep them separated so they don't fight and hurt each other.

Last edited by steiconi; 03-17-2018 at 03:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate