U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 02:52 AM

4,680 posts, read 2,303,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Well in north NJ I've never seen a MH on a private lot. I doubt many cities would allow them and every county in NJ is classified as urban and it's the most densely populated state. Land and taxes are so high it doesn't make sense to buy a MH there.
Maybe it should be. I've seen houses in New Jersey and all through Pennsylvania and on the East Coast that are $50,000. With few exceptions, they're a mess. They can't look any worse, inside or out. Most of them should be razed and replaced with low cost manufactured homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 08:35 AM

10,271 posts, read 6,506,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Maybe it should be. I've seen houses in New Jersey and all through Pennsylvania and on the East Coast that are $50,000. With few exceptions, they're a mess. They can't look any worse, inside or out. Most of them should be razed and replaced with low cost manufactured homes.
PA is a different animal from NJ. A lot more land and not as close to NYC. I've never seen even an old home in NJ for $50K but I can't say I really looked. Maybe in the boonies and falling down. I was surprised to find stick built homes under $100K a few years ago and there are still some towns where it's a lot less expensive than 25 mile radius of Manhattan, but still the property taxes are so high it's not worth it.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,303,897 times
It's really surprising what's out there. There were a lot of houses in southern New Jersey that were under $50,000 (and were wrecks besides), but they seem to follow a pattern. Many houses $50,000 and under are for sale starting on the east coast going across the middle US with clumps around northern Georgia and St. Louis, tons of them in Michigan and Wisconsin, none in North or South Dakota, a sprinkling in the hills of Colorado, and then they just disappear going into the West: Wyoming, Montana, Nevada, California (except in the desert areas), Oregon, and Washington, unless you're looking for land as well.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:50 AM

858 posts, read 477,225 times
Can I hijack my own thread and start new topic on manufactured home? Don't wanna start too many threads.

What is the life cycle and maintenance requirements of a manufactured home? Is it similar to a stick built home? Or will it be "totaled" or "junked" for sure at some point like a car?

I may own one for the first time.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:42 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,545,587 times
The life cycle? Wasn't there enough information and examples already?
But, does this answer your question? For instance, the 2 x 4s in my old one are going to last as long as the 2 x 4s in a stick built.
Cars have mechanical parts more prone to wearing out but even then, have you ever been to an antique car show?
Maintenance is everything regardless of what you're talking about.
They'll probably never be worth as much because they started out less expensive but that doesn't need to affect longevity especially if you're talking about a newer one.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 AM

858 posts, read 477,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The life cycle? Wasn't there enough information and examples already?
But, does this answer your question? For instance, the 2 x 4s in my old one are going to last as long as the 2 x 4s in a stick built.
Cars have mechanical parts more prone to wearing out but even then, have you ever been to an antique car show?
Maintenance is everything regardless of what you're talking about.
They'll probably never be worth as much because they started out less expensive but that doesn't need to affect longevity especially if you're talking about a newer one.
antique cars are a different thing because they are basically not being used, manufactured houses sit out in the elements every day. But I get what you are saying.

What I am wondering is, with stick house we have an average annual maintenance cost that, if you put that in, the house can last 100 years in many cases. Can we make that type of general forecast with manufactured homes?

And, isn't a manufactured home all metal on the outside?

Old 03-19-2018, 06:24 AM

31,614 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
antique cars are a different thing because they are basically not being used, manufactured houses sit out in the elements every day. But I get what you are saying.

What I am wondering is, with stick house we have an average annual maintenance cost that, if you put that in, the house can last 100 years in many cases. Can we make that type of general forecast with manufactured homes?

And, isn't a manufactured home all metal on the outside?
It may well be metal roof and siding.
It also may be a shingle roof, and T-111 panel siding, or vinyl or aluminum siding.
It may be wrapped with foam, celotex, or OSB under the siding.
It may be 2x4 construction, 2x6 construction, or 2x4's at corners, and doors and windows, with 2x3's in other areas.

Durability is impacted by how it is installed, on what sort of footings, and how quickly problems are addressed.
And, within the HUD code, and among various manufacturers, there is a wide range of construction and installation quality.
No one can even guess what you have without seeing it.

How about a photo?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM

32,115 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Three manufacturers I know of. All within a few miles, Hell a few hundred yards, of each other.

Although they don't look like it they are what used to be called mobile homes:

Showcase Homes | New Homes | Homes - Shippenville, PA

https://www.colony-homes.com

Ashland Homes in Shippenville, PA - Manufactured Home Dealer

This one is a modular company:

https://www.tricountyhomes.com/

Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM

11,475 posts, read 25,708,361 times
Quote:
Can I hijack my own thread and start new topic on manufactured home? Don't wanna start too many threads.

What is the life cycle and maintenance requirements of a manufactured home? Is it similar to a stick built home? Or will it be "totaled" or "junked" for sure at some point like a car?

I may own one for the first time.
The older ones don't hold up that well, nor do they hold value. They were made with cheap cabinets, fixtures, doors, tubs, etc. Many didn't have shingle or metal roofs. That set them up for leaks. The siding was cheap. If you are buying new, things have drastically changed. As mentioned, it all depends on what you quality you chose. There are different models and one maybe a lower quality and another high quality. It's all how you customize it.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 AM

21,003 posts, read 25,781,024 times
Quote:
........What is the life cycle and maintenance requirements of a manufactured home? Is it similar to a stick built home? Or will it be "totaled" or "junked" for sure at some point like a car? ..........
Manufactured homes have always come in different levels of quality. I've owned 4 old ones, bought for just the value of the land. My son has owned three.

You can keep them going if you do the maintenance. New paint and new flooring can make them look new.

I've owned 2 made in the early 60's, all metal, flat metal roof like a travel trailer. The better made one never had any leak anywhere. The cheaper made one had to have roof patch every now again and then it had a tree go through the roof. Because of the way the trailer was constructed, it was really difficult to repair it, but it did get repaired.

My son owned two made in the early 80's that had rafters start to sag. That caused rain to puddle on the roof and caused leaks. In order to fix, the entire roof would have to be completely removed and replaced. Those two got junked, removed, and the lots sold as building sites.

I've had one and my son had one that were built with polybuetal plumbing and both caused endless repairs and the plumbing was difficult to work on.

No metal siding any more. Mostly vinyl siding but some of the new ones are sided with T-111. Roofs now are sloped and done with asphalt shingle. Some of the expensive ones have metal roofing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or