U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 AM

31,597 posts, read 55,320,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Three manufacturers I know of. All within a few miles, Hell a few hundred yards, of each other.

Although they don't look like it they are what used to be called mobile homes:

Showcase Homes | New Homes | Homes - Shippenville, PA

https://www.colony-homes.com

Ashland Homes in Shippenville, PA - Manufactured Home Dealer

This one is a modular company:

https://www.tricountyhomes.com/

Only Colony Factory Crafted Homes is a manufacturer. The others are just sales centers.

Commodore Corporation owns Colony plant, and a Commodore plant, side by side, just a mile or two down Rt. 66. from those sales centers.
And, another plant about 20 miles away in Butler County.
Commodore builds HUD-code and mod in those plants.

7-8 miles away in Strattanville, PA, there are two mod plants.
Structural Modulars | Modular Manufacturer in Northwestern PA "Structural Modular"

And, New Era.
https://www.neweramodulars.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Only Colony Factory Crafted Homes is a manufacturer. The others are just sales centers.

Commodore Corporation owns Colony plant, and a Commodore plant, side by side, just a mile or two down Rt. 66. from those sales centers.
And, another plant about 20 miles away in Butler County.
Commodore builds HUD-code and mod in those plants.

7-8 miles away in Strattanville, PA, there are two mod plants.
Structural Modulars | Modular Manufacturer in Northwestern PA "Structural Modular"

And, New Era.
https://www.neweramodulars.com/
Actually I knew that. I was maybe attempting to, yet again, show differences. I know too many people who work at those plants, especially since the other main manufacturer in the area, a glass bottle plant, closed and was demolished a few years ago.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually I knew that. I was maybe attempting to, yet again, show differences. I know too many people who work at those plants, especially since the other main manufacturer in the area, a glass bottle plant, closed and was demolished a few years ago.
Astro hurt too, when they couldn't go on and Commodore couldn't get them clicking.

It's an ADS pipe recycling center now.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,302,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
antique cars are a different thing because they are basically not being used, manufactured houses sit out in the elements every day. But I get what you are saying.

What I am wondering is, with stick house we have an average annual maintenance cost that, if you put that in, the house can last 100 years in many cases. Can we make that type of general forecast with manufactured homes?

And, isn't a manufactured home all metal on the outside?
The one I had was vinyl sided, asphalt shingles on the roof, I believe, and had double paned windows. If they're sided with wood, then you need to repaint them regularly same as a house. You can always put a new roof on and if you choose an more expensive, 50 year roof, it should last 50 years.

In some areas of the US, you do need to get MHs power washed if they're metal on account of the moss. Same with the roof. Of course, here you see regular stick built houses with moss all over the roof, too.

Here's something you can do: go to Craig's List and select Seattle for the city. Type in 'Manufactured House for Sale' and then see what comes up. Most of what you see will be older MHs in trailer parks with an occasional one on its own land. But this will give you an idea of the value some of these MHs have in this area and while some of them still have that old yucky greenish paneling inside, many of them are sheet rocked now (mine was) and they look fantastic.

Find A Floor Plan | Find A Home | Durango Homes | Built by Cavco

Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM

858 posts, read 476,862 times
Value comparison between manufactured home and regular house-img_20180320_084630.png

Value comparison between manufactured home and regular house-img_20180320_084758.png

Value comparison between manufactured home and regular house-img_20180320_084419.png

Value comparison between manufactured home and regular house-img_20180320_085037.png

Value comparison between manufactured home and regular house-img_20180320_084929.png

Is this considered a decent MH? How long might this last with care?

Old 03-19-2018, 08:50 PM

11,472 posts, read 25,701,761 times
Quote:
Attachment 196429

Attachment 196430

Attachment 196431

Attachment 196432

Attachment 196433

Is this considered a decent MH? How long might this last with care?
It definitely looks older with the paneling on the walls. Another thing, you need to keep in mind is how well it is insulated. The older homes weren't insulated well and it maybe a sticker shock when you get a $600 electric bill. The quality of everything was sub-par in the older homes. Honestly, at first I would never recommend a mobile home due to depreciation. That has changed after research and I am all for the newer Energy Star homes they are building now and the quality. Even if it was kept up, the older homes just don't hold up well and the value doesn't hold up. I've had experience with older mobile homes and I can vouch for this. If you are interested in a double wide, I'd definitely go with a newer one. It maybe more expensive in the beginning but it will pay off in the future. Just my honest opinion.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 PM

858 posts, read 476,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It definitely looks older with the paneling on the walls. Another thing, you need to keep in mind is how well it is insulated. The older homes weren't insulated well and it maybe a sticker shock when you get a $600 electric bill. The quality of everything was sub-par in the older homes. Honestly, at first I would never recommend a mobile home due to depreciation. That has changed after research and I am all for the newer Energy Star homes they are building now and the quality. Even if it was kept up, the older homes just don't hold up well and the value doesn't hold up. I've had experience with older mobile homes and I can vouch for this. If you are interested in a double wide, I'd definitely go with a newer one. It maybe more expensive in the beginning but it will pay off in the future. Just my honest opinion.
I am going after the land, so will have to take this MH.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:03 AM

8,377 posts, read 7,369,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I KNOW MANUFACTURED HOMES CAN BE FINANCED! I've been saying that through this whole thread, and that they are a good, affordable option for people!

I do NOT though, know any bank or mortgage company that is currently offering financing for single wides, of any age.

THERE  ARE MANY INCLUDING FHA AND VA BACKED LOANS

FHA Guidelines for Single-Wide Mobile Homes

https://pocketsense.com/singlewide-m...g-8002912.html

Old 03-20-2018, 04:07 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
This is broad-brushing.
Due to Irma, my 'old' '78 just had a couple of the rooms gutted. Pink Fiberglass insulation, walls,ceiling and floors...on, and styrofoam insulation under the roof panels. Mid summer in SWF, electric bill at it's highest was $155.
Even some neighbors without as well done as mine, their bills are never anywhere near that.
Once had one a year older with the 2 x 2 construction and what was called insulation was funny but with an insulated ceiling and roof ( and a tree ) bills were comparable to regular houses we have had that didn't have the insulation one would put it now..
One photo shows shade on the roof. That's helpful, too.
Depreciation, when on it's own land, has been covered in other posts.

It looks like that one has been kept up and I see the carport has been done to current code...a good sign.
With only photos to go by, the roof looks great.
Kitchen has upgrades,which appears to include a tile floor? That should mean the subfloor was exposed and either in good condition or replaced.
If I caution anything, it would be to check the floors for soft spots if you're in a damp, humid area of the country.
Unless a visual inspection reveals something bad, I'd say you don't have much to worry about.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
I am going after the land, so will have to take this MH.
Have you checked on a land loan?

Two reasons you may find it hard to get funding for this property:

1. IF the structure too old, or is not installed with an engineer-approved FHA-approved foundation, you may not be able to get conventional funding. The mobile may require a chattel loan, just like a car loan.

2. IF the structure IS acceptably installed, engineer-approved, it may not carry enough value vs. the land to qualify for conventional funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or