U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2018, 03:15 PM
 
Location: northern va
1,555 posts, read 1,992,571 times
Reputation: 1328

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Debating this myself. Selling an around ~$320k house in the hot Portland metro area where inventory is next to nothing in that price range and houses go pending same day. Picked out a new construction house we want at $400k. Had a good experience with our Realtor buying this place. But given the circumstances I donít know that we necessarily even need a very experienced full service one.
I'd recommend talking with your previously used agent too. Not every agent looks for 6%, and in a market like yours (and the fact you've worked with them before), they might bemore inclined to take your business at a reduced fee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2018, 03:21 PM
 
1,528 posts, read 724,410 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I can't speak for the Portland Redfin agents, but the referral agents they use in Salem are good agents. I do think they screen their agents better than traditional franchise brokerages do. So, I'd at least interview them if you like their model. I'd also suggest a couple other Portland indie brokerages so if you want some other names to interview PM me and I'll get you a couple of names.
I suppose that's based on:

1. They pay a salary so the model isn't to hire volumes of agents knowing that a large percentage will be duds. Everyone must be a star and align to the brand's promise.
2. They invest in building a strong brand - it's not a loose brand like the franchises. People's experience (good or bad) with Redfin sticks to Redfin. Bad agents will ruin the brand. Not so with KW, Re/Max, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11353
I interviewed a Redfin agent when I was in process of listing my home last year .

I have been a fan of Redfin’s website and still am , but I was surprised that the Redfin agent suggested listing my home for about 90k less than a full service broker.

I ended up getting over list with the full service broker and he had over 35 years experience and helped me with a lot of stuff that I’m sure the Redfin agent wouldn’t have .

The weird thing is the Redfin agent claimed he had I believe 10 years experience.. just weird he would be so off on price . I think he might of just gone off the Redfin estimate or something which was really far off .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 06:42 PM
 
847 posts, read 444,139 times
Reputation: 3238
I have a lot of respect for Redfin agents since they helped me sell my house even though I did not use them as my realtor.

I listed my house with a flat-fee agency which meant I was mostly on my own. Redfin's website is truly the best in our area as it updates daily. A Redfin agent had toured my house and left a glowing review online. After that I noticed more Redfin agents left cards after showings and a day later I got two offers on my house. I really believe things picked up after the review on Redfin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
7,749 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Reputation: 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I suppose that's based on:

1. They pay a salary so the model isn't to hire volumes of agents knowing that a large percentage will be duds. Everyone must be a star and align to the brand's promise.
2. They invest in building a strong brand - it's not a loose brand like the franchises. People's experience (good or bad) with Redfin sticks to Redfin. Bad agents will ruin the brand. Not so with KW, Re/Max, etc, etc.
and you know this... how?

I can only say that in my market, their agents tend to be very new, or to have less than 5 transactions/year in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I have a lot of respect for Redfin agents since they helped me sell my house even though I did not use them as my realtor.

I listed my house with a flat-fee agency which meant I was mostly on my own. Redfin's website is truly the best in our area as it updates daily. A Redfin agent had toured my house and left a glowing review online. After that I noticed more Redfin agents left cards after showings and a day later I got two offers on my house. I really believe things picked up after the review on Redfin.
Thatís good if it helped you .

I could see this working the other way too though . Iíve seem some Redfin agents put negative remakes about homes they have toured .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11353
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and you know this... how?

I can only say that in my market, their agents tend to be very new, or to have less than 5 transactions/year in business.
Yeah that makes sense , Iím guessing the superstar agents wouldnít want to work for a salary since they would likely be making a lot more in commissions being an independent contractor .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11353
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I interviewed a Redfin agent when I was in process of listing my home last year .

I have been a fan of Redfinís website and still am , but I was surprised that the Redfin agent suggested listing my home for about 90k less than a full service broker.

I ended up getting over list with the full service broker and he had over 35 years experience and helped me with a lot of stuff that Iím sure the Redfin agent wouldnít have .

The weird thing is the Redfin agent claimed he had I believe 10 years experience.. just weird he would be so off on price . I think he might of just gone off the Redfin estimate or something which was really far off .
Edit : The agent seemed like a decent guy and was professional it just seemed like a red flag that he wanted to list that low .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Reputation: 30150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
That’s good if it helped you .

I could see this working the other way too though . I’ve seem some Redfin agents put negative remakes about homes they have toured .
Idiots. Trashy behavior.

Years ago, Redfin paid MLS fines for reviewing and criticizing listings.
House Reviews on Redfin Shutdown By MLS

I would file a formal complaint if a Redfin employee pulled that crap on my house, or on one of my listings.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 03-15-2018 at 02:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
7,749 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Reputation: 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that makes sense , Iím guessing the superstar agents wouldnít want to work for a salary since they would likely be making a lot more in commissions being an independent contractor .
I should probably clarify my remark - not that most Redfin agents do < 5/year, but that before they went to Redfin they did.

You don't have to be close to a "superstar" to earn more for what you do as an independent contractor than what a Redfin salary must be.

And they do have agents that handle buyers and sellers, at least locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top