Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

https://interestingengineering.com/t...hours-to-build

A start-up based in Austin, Texas will be mass producing small homes using 3D printing technology to find a solution to the problem of affordable housing around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 10:58 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
That is cute, but it isn't actually a house. It is a shell with no plumbing and no wiring. As stands, it is a nice looking tool shed.

The technology is amazing, though.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That is cute, but it isn't actually a house. It is a shell with no plumbing and no wiring. As stands, it is a nice looking tool shed.

Yeah I thought about that, the video does show a bathroom, I guess it's so cheap you can run wiring and plumbing inside , or figure out modifications to make it work.

I would be happy to live in a small home knowing that it will be paid off quickly and not have to worry about housing cost besides insurance and taxes which should not be high on something like this.

It would also solve a lot of the homeless problem and save money on Section 8 housing.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 03-13-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Seems like it would be far cheaper and quicker to build out of concrete blocks and cheap labor.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:40 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Seems like it would be far cheaper and quicker to build out of concrete blocks and cheap labor.
Where I live, there is no cheap labor.

If they can get the cost down to their goal, those little houses, just like they are, would make nice little villages for the homeless. Hundreds of those lined up, completely empty inside with some big toilet and shower blocks to walk to.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:11 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
There is no cheap labor on the west coast. The issue is land though. You can house more people going up, but it costs more.

This technology is amazing. My son is applying to engineering schools this fall and is all over the 3-D printing technology. He is totally fascinated by all of the possibilities so I know more about 3D printers than I'll ever want to know.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
It's a proposed solution for 3rd world countries though where labor is cheap.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:55 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
These machines dont run themselves like in the video with no humans around. Your underestimating the support system these machines need. Engineer to make sure its running correctly, troubleshoot problems, reprogram, tweaks, someone to mix up the liquid concrete, all the supplies that it takes to make that liquid, someone to place the rebar every so often, and not to mention all the environmental weather variables.

Yes, its amazing technology. But it can never compete on price with some guys laying concrete blocks with mortar no matter what part of the world your in.

I see this technology being used for art, very creative buildings for very wealthy people and other municipal projects where money is no object.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
These machines dont run themselves like in the video with no humans around. Your underestimating the support system these machines need. Engineer to make sure its running correctly, troubleshoot problems, reprogram, tweaks, someone to mix up the liquid concrete, all the supplies that it takes to make that liquid, someone to place the rebar every so often, and not to mention all the environmental weather variables.

Yes, its amazing technology. But it can never compete on price with some guys laying concrete blocks with mortar no matter what part of the world your in.

I see this technology being used for art, very creative buildings for very wealthy people and other municipal projects where money is no object.
Yes you need someone to bring a cement truck. But maybe at first you need an engineer or someone one site to check out the machine but that's until the kinks are worked out. You don't have an engineer standing next to every advanced piece of equipment. I think it does compete with a person laying concrete. $10K is the price now, they think they can get it to $4K. Plus it's more accurate and only takes a day.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:08 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I wonder, if its the sign of things to come, like my Grandfather's first beeper (he was a DR, and it was the size of a toolbox) or a carphone; or will it be like an internet enabled coffeemaker or Refrigerator, an aberration of a useful technology.

I could see something like that replacing manufactured homes in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate