Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times

Advertisements

it's just that a lot of agents do a crappy job of it and overprice.
That's why "just putting it on the MLS" gets a bad rap.

Putting ads in the newspaper and home magazines?
when was the last time you read one of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
What you say is true, but I don't think you will get a lot of agents on here to agree with you. Well, except me.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:48 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I know that not all agents are good at what they do, but my agent puts the house on the multiple, networks like crazy, analyzes feedback and makes suggestions, calls me at least once a week with updates, and on the last listing, kept a difficult tenant in line and cordinated inspections. That's a lot more work than just putting the property on the mls.

The listing she has for my son, she is assisting with a lot split that requires a lot of coordination with the various parties involved and many visits to the building department, plus she helps locate contractors.

I don't really feel bad about paying her commission. A house last year had the buyers from hell and we were all tearing our hair out and she managed to keep it together and get it closed. If I'd been doing it without an agent I probably would have ended up with a lawsuit, I was that angry with the buyers.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:31 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Just putting it on the MLS is usually enough IF there are good photos, correct info, it's easy to show and the agent answers her phone. It's amazing how often the listing agent responds slowly and how difficult it is to get in to see many listings.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:40 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,668 times
I think a lot depends on the property, market and seller. Standard suburban home in just about every metro market in the US right now will get looked at if it's at the right price point for the neighborhood - how it sells is a different story.

Sometimes, people need a coach for that process. that's where an agent makes their money.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:42 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Just putting it on the MLS is usually enough IF there are good photos, correct info, it's easy to show and the agent answers her phone. It's amazing how often the listing agent responds slowly and how difficult it is to get in to see many listings.
Agree. How it is on the MLS really does matter. I recently sold something where the listing agent was brilliant enough to get drone pictures on a beautiful day of a house on a 5 acre piece. Really made the buyer have to have a look.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
If all I do is list it with good photos and a fair asking price and don't do anything to sabotage or prevent showings the home will sell.

If I do the worlds best job of marketing and it's overpriced it still won't sell or get showings.

If I have a great price and only slap it on MLS with no photos or crummy photos, it will still sell. Maybe not attract as much interest or top dollar but it will still sell.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:53 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
In my market, putting it on MLS is pretty much enough - and depending on your social network, you might not even need to do that! I'm in a very large planned urban community that is extremely popular in my area, and many times, homes get sold even before they hit MLS based on word of mouth.

However, a good agent still provides lots of support like advising on what does or doesn't need to be done ahead of time to make sure a sale goes through smoothly. They have resources in the trades if something does need to be done. They advise on the right listing price. They facilitate things. They make sure all the paperwork is properly done - we are in a title company state for closing so most people do not use an attorney and rely on their agent as the expert on the transaction.

There is a whole lot more to being a good agent beyond just marketing the property.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:02 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
The MLS is a giant tool in our toolbox that helps with exposure to both buyers & brokers who represent buyers.

It does not run comparables, or write contracts. counterproposals, amends, order appraisals, or inspections or any of the hundreds of things an agent or broker helps the clients with.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It's not enough.
Gotta bake cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate