Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,881 times

Advertisements

I reached out to a Realtor from a reputable company in the NYC area and let him know I was interested in purchasing something ASAP. I told him what area i'm interested in (which they have an office in).

So far I have received a bunch of there listing plus stuff I see on the MLS.

However, I have been driving through the area and find tons of "for sale" homes.

As a buyer, do I need to reach out to all these listing brokers I am interested in on my own.

I have told my realtor about some of these other homes and he tells me he'll reach out to the broker or he has a call out to the broker, blah blah blah, but its been over a week and he has yet to get my into any of these other homes.

whats the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Are you asking the realtor to see these properties one at a time? Have you been pre-approved with a lender yet?

Give him a list of homes you want to check out, set a date and time frame with the agent, and have them set up appointments to check them all out at once.

If they can't do that, just get another agent. Just because it's a reputable company doesn't mean the agent knows what they're doing. Especially if all you did was call the office and asked for an agent. They will just give you whoever is the "floor" agent at the time, whom are mostly new.

As far as the Pre-approval question, if you haven't been pre-approved yet and haven't put the energy into getting approved, the agent may just think you're not serious and doesn't want to waste their time or your time.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
When you said, "reach out" what exactly have you done? You need to pick out properties and tell your realtor which ones you'd like to see and when.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
If you're pre-approved and you know what you're looking for and have conveyed this to the agent and you've hired the real estate agent to represent you (signed a buyer's rep agreement), I can't imagine why he isn't showing you these properties.

However, I've had situations where the buyer was very specific initially about what they wanted and didn't want and, as part of serving them, I sent them only properties that matched the requirements they gave me, in writing, were important to them. Only to have them show up with properties they'd found on their own, wondering why I hadn't sent them those, when the properties in question had one or more things they'd told me were dealbreakers. (Of course, you can't tell from the sign if the property has one of those, but agents often can from the full information on the MLS.)

I'm not saying this is the case with you, just offering it as one reason this might happen.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
I have no idea what you mean by "reached out". Have you just spoken over the phone, are they representing you..need more info.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
From what I understand NYC is a different animal when it comes to real estate. Many are exclusive, not listed on MLS, just handled by one office unless a co-broke is arranged. I would suggest you post in the NY forum to ask your question of the buyers/sellers. I don't recall any NYC Realtors® on here.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:08 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,533 times
I am not familiar with the NYC market, but I think it could be that the ones you are seeing, that your Realtor does not send you, do not fit your search criteria. Either by price, square footage, br/ba, ammentities etc. The ones your Realtor are sending you should be exactly or close to exactly what you are looking for. I have that done all the time that a client is looking in a particular area and call me and wonder why I haven't sent them info on a certain home. When I look it up for them, it is way past what they can afford.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM

77 posts, read 430,103 times
We moved to Long Island 9 years ago; I went out driving around with 8 different realtors to see about 50 homes - all bad and not at all what I wanted. I made a special trip here the 1st time from out of state and told this gal specifically what AREA and what type of home AND that we did NOT want a condo - - - guess what? She drove me about 30 miles in the opposite direction I really wanted to go so she could show me a condo! I told another realtor I needed a 2-car garage and she pulled up in front of a home with a 1-car garage and told me there was room to add-on; I don't think so. Hence, I tried 6 other realtors; none of them could help me - obviously. We bought directly from the builder and now are selling FSBO - - - so don't forget us FSBOs when you are shopping around. If you give the realtor very specific instructions on what to find for you why should YOU be the one to find those homes on the MLS or where ever you are looking? Why are THEY not doing this work for you? Isn't this their job? As you can tell we are not especially thrilled with NY realtors.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
NYC is an entirely different world of real estate. I don't think their MLS is actively used. They a board instead. They send out their listings to the top brokerages in the area with an offer of compensation attached. My understanding is that in NYC they don't have lockboxes and listing agents are present at all showings, so it can take a week just to coordinate schedules.

NYC real estate is a world unto its own.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
From what I understand NYC is a different animal when it comes to real estate. Many are exclusive, not listed on MLS, just handled by one office unless a co-broke is arranged. I would suggest you post in the NY forum to ask your question of the buyers/sellers. I don't recall any NYC Realtors® on here.

Bingo! Also, when I say I reached out, I mean that i spoke with a Broker, discussed my search parameters, emailed him my mortgage approval letter, and have given him several homes that have for sale signs on them from various agents in the area in am interested in.

So far i get a lot of "thats not on the MLS" or "i can't show you that house, you have to call the listing agent".

Originally this broker told me that he will get paid by splitting the commission with the listing broker. Now it seems like i need to pay him just to be a coordinator for me by contacting all these agents and get appointments for me to view.

Its all very frustrating right now. The only thing that has gone smooth so far was the mortgage approval process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate