U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,130,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
My father in Kansas had a particularly mischievous neighbor who actually removed the buried steel survey marker/ stake that had been placed in the 1960s. Then that neighbor argued that my father's land was trapezoidal rather than rectangular (he couldn't access to remove any of the other three stakes). Huge legal mess that was not cheap to resolve.

All this over a fraction of an acre.
Crazy eh? I just don't get people. I would never take what wasn't mine. I was raised right
btw, I was born in Kansas (not that it matters LOL )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 10:35 AM

337 posts, read 148,767 times
Moving that shed (I would be pretty angry about that) seems likely to be your biggest battle. As previously stated you also don't want the liability involved with the kid/neighbor riding his motorcycle on your property. So sorry you have to deal with this headache.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 AM

7,758 posts, read 6,114,541 times
the blue "circle" in the overhead photo - that's where the shed is?

And they take surveys and apply them to the GIS maps in your area?

based on what you've given now, it seems pretty simple - go tell the bike-riding family, "Hey, my lot starts where the woods are. I'm sorry, but you'll need to stop using my woods immediately, and we'll talk later about the trees that were cut down without my permission" To the shed and debris family "I'm sorry, but your shed is over the line, and could you please pull the canoe and other personal property put of my woods and onto your lot? I appreciate it."

Old 03-22-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
Moving that shed (I would be pretty angry about that) seems likely to be your biggest battle. As previously stated you also don't want the liability involved with the kid/neighbor riding his motorcycle on your property. So sorry you have to deal with this headache.
I wish I had paid more attention sooner but because there is woods between us and 3 other neighbors, I didn't notice until now. What tipped me off was I had let my dog out the back door a few weeks ago and I saw a teenager on the back of my property, in the woods, with a shovel! Now, I know part of that is the back neighbors so I was not positive if he was on my property or his. (We have a total of 1 acre of land)
All the other neighbors have small lots.
This "teenager" may be the one with the dirt bike.
The other neighbor on the side is the one with the shed. The woods start with this neighbor (a strip of woods probably 20 feet wide) and extend around to the back of our property in a kind of "cresent moon" shape.
And now that it spring and the foliage is not real thick, I can see everything much clearer now. I believe my spouse had a feeling that neighbor on the side was taking advantage but didn't say anything and I'm quite irked about that....so we had "that" talk last night. Jesus.......LOL

Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the blue "circle" in the overhead photo - that's where the shed is?

And they take surveys and apply them to the GIS maps in your area?

based on what you've given now, it seems pretty simple - go tell the bike-riding family, "Hey, my lot starts where the woods are. I'm sorry, but you'll need to stop using my woods immediately, and we'll talk later about the trees that were cut down without my permission" To the shed and debris family "I'm sorry, but your shed is over the line, and could you please pull the canoe and other personal property put of my woods and onto your lot? I appreciate it."
That blue circle was a pool they had. It is not longer there. It was one of those soft sided pools.
Anyway, I will take matters into my own hands and deal with this.
Or as Ursula from the Little Mermaid would say "It's time Ursula took matters into her own tentacles" LOLOLOL
Thank God for a sense of humor

Old 03-22-2018, 11:22 AM

3,709 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
We have a large lot with a house. Been there since 2003. 4 neighbors border our property. i noticed this last weekend that two of those neighbors are using part of our property for their own! Part of of lot is wooded and we (spouse and I) noticed that some of the smaller trees where gone. We walked back there and saw that they had cut some of the small trees down, make a dirt trail through the woods (neighbors kid has a dirt bike) and they had some items on our land (wheel barrow, rakes) The other neighbor put up a shed and part of it is on our land and they extended their back yard to include part of our land as well. I don't want to make enemies of these people (have never talked to them) but I also am angry that they just take advantage like that. We had not noticed this until now because of the trees, bushes and other foliage. How do we handle this delicately? We do have one metal post that we put on the southwest corner of the back of the property but apparently that neighbor did not care to take that into consideration when they went chopping trees down.....Arghhhhhh
Lawyer.
Fence.

I don't think there's a "delicate" way to handle this. You could bulldoze everything that's on YOUR property and put up a fence, accompanied by a cease and desist order from a judge.

If you "make enemies" of them because they broke the law, you have my sympathy in that you've moved into a neighborhood populated by real creeps.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:32 PM

19,880 posts, read 36,385,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
There is one left on the southwest of the back of the property(which is open and all lawn) but the neighbor with the dirt bike removed the other one on the southeast corner (which is in the woods and him and I share those woods because his property butts up against ours.)
Say what? He removed the permanent marker? That shows motive, right there, and I'd be all over him over that. DEFINITELY get the surveyor back out to replace that marker. I know you don't want to spend any money on this but you are going to either do it now, or you are going to have issues, serious issues, when you go to sell the property that will likely cost you when all is said and done more than spending some now.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM

9,084 posts, read 3,701,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Say what? He removed the permanent marker? That shows motive, right there, and I'd be all over him over that. DEFINITELY get the surveyor back out to replace that marker. I know you don't want to spend any money on this but you are going to either do it now, or you are going to have issues, serious issues, when you go to sell the property that will likely cost you when all is said and done more than spending some now.
texas honors the purple fence law i believe, that and a shotgun will take care of the problem...

Old 03-22-2018, 12:42 PM

19,880 posts, read 36,385,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
texas honors the purple fence law i believe, that and a shotgun will take care of the problem...
The purple fence law means marking against trespassing, not establishing property lines and use of property (and oddly enough I never heard of it until fairly recently, and I was born and bred in the country in Texas and live there now - it's not real useful if nobody knows what that purple paint means, now, is it?. And, stereotypes notwithstanding, a shotgun is not the best first approach and using it for this kind of thing does not fall into the law protecting a homeowner from prosecution if someone breaks into their house or car.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:11 PM

2,215 posts, read 754,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
While I agree with a survey, not all of us can get them for a couple of hundred. In my area, a survey is $500-$700 and those I know that have gotten them have lots under half an acre. I assume they go up on bigger or more complex lots.
Either pay now, or pay later .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or