U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2018, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee Area of WI
1,782 posts, read 1,131,444 times
Reputation: 1756

Advertisements

Here is the actual letter (I didn't change anything)

Hi! We are your --------neighbors whose back yard borders yours. Recently it came to my attention that two of the neighbors might be using part of our property. We pulled out our “Plat of Survey” and I have enclosed a copy. We really do not want any hard feelings but we do want to make sure we all know our boundaries for everyone’s peace of mind and for anyone owning these properties in the future.
We are going to be putting up a green boarder fence starting on the east side of our property where the woods begin and running to the back east corner and across the back to the west where the woods end.
We are not sticklers about someone needing to walk on our property to retrieve an item that may have gotten into our yard or a dog running around or anything like that.
We will be putting up the fence as soon as the ground thaws. If you have anything that is on our property, please remove it in the next week or so.
Thanks for your understanding,


So, does that sound ok then? I have not mailed it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2018, 04:30 PM
 
2,215 posts, read 755,118 times
Reputation: 3734
"boarder fence" should be border fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2018, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
Reputation: 12748
OMG, what are you waiting for? Send it already! Keep us posted on the outcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee Area of WI
1,782 posts, read 1,131,444 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
"boarder fence" should be border fence.
typo--oppps! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee Area of WI
1,782 posts, read 1,131,444 times
Reputation: 1756
Now my spouse does not want me to send the letter!! Jesus, Mary and Joseph.....argh
I said "Well, if you are going to let these neighbors use part of our property then you better send them a registered letter giving them permission to keep using that part for now otherwise they can claim in as adverse possession in another few years".
I'm still putting up the fence that I talked about!
If I have to, I'll send them the letter letting them use the land, for now.
ok, I have to go scream into a towel now..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
272 posts, read 90,261 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Here is the actual letter (I didn't change anything)

Hi! We are your --------neighbors whose back yard borders yours. Recently it came to my attention that two of the neighbors might be using part of our property. We pulled out our “Plat of Survey” and I have enclosed a copy. We really do not want any hard feelings but we do want to make sure we all know our boundaries for everyone’s peace of mind and for anyone owning these properties in the future.
We are going to be putting up a green boarder fence starting on the east side of our property where the woods begin and running to the back east corner and across the back to the west where the woods end.
We are not sticklers about someone needing to walk on our property to retrieve an item that may have gotten into our yard or a dog running around or anything like that.
We will be putting up the fence as soon as the ground thaws. If you have anything that is on our property, please remove it in the next week or so.
Thanks for your understanding,


So, does that sound ok then? I have not mailed it yet.
I would change the wording two of our neighbors "might" be using part of our property. "Might" gives off the impression that you're still not really sure. You're absolutely sure it's your property. The survey indicates they ARE using your property. I wouldn't mention anything about hard feelings. Who cares about feelings? This is about trespassing unto your property. "A green border fence will be posted when the land thaws to ensure that there is no future confusion as to the property lines. Private Property and No Trespassing signs will be posted." Do not grant permission to walk on your property. They will take advantage of that as well. "Please remove your personal property off my land by this date xxxx." Give them a week or so and doesn't work for them and it'll still be sitting there by the end of July!

Just remember, if they decide to ignore your letter you'll need to be ready to take the next step for them to take you seriously.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
272 posts, read 90,261 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Now my spouse does not want me to send the letter!! Jesus, Mary and Joseph.....argh
I said "Well, if you are going to let these neighbors use part of our property then you better send them a registered letter giving them permission to keep using that part for now otherwise they can claim in as adverse possession in another few years".
I'm still putting up the fence that I talked about!
If I have to, I'll send them the letter letting them use the land, for now.
ok, I have to go scream into a towel now..........
Oh NO!!! What's to stop them from taking another 5 feet of your land and another 10 feet next year? I can only imagine your frustration!!!! I'd be sitting on my porch with the shotgun in hand! LOL, just kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 09:23 AM
 
4,218 posts, read 4,437,218 times
Reputation: 9293
Wow, this is nuts. Can't believe nothing has been done yet. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 09:33 AM
 
Location: southwest TN
8,176 posts, read 14,256,731 times
Reputation: 14779
You don't realize the complications you could be creating for yourself if you try to handle this yourself, without legal representation. It will not cost any more than putting up snow fencing to get a legal opinion and have the attorney write a letter, if any, to the neighbors.


Just my 2c as a retired real estate paralegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee Area of WI
1,782 posts, read 1,131,444 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethewinter View Post
Oh NO!!! What's to stop them from taking another 5 feet of your land and another 10 feet next year? I can only imagine your frustration!!!! I'd be sitting on my porch with the shotgun in hand! LOL, just kidding.
I know right? Good Lord! LOLOLOL
I'm just going to talk to these neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top