U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 PM

15,831 posts, read 18,446,953 times

Advertisements

Your husband can add you to the deed....you are married. Regardless, You are at least trying to take care of business. A shame that he lighten a fire under you, then pulling out the rug.

Learn a lesson going forward from his behavior....take care of legal issues and keep yourself protected financially. Hugs kiddo....keep updating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 03:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,131,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Your husband can add you to the deed....you are married. Regardless, You are at least trying to take care of business. A shame that he lighten a fire under you, then pulling out the rug.

Learn a lesson going forward from his behavior....take care of legal issues and keep yourself protected financially. Hugs kiddo....keep updating.
Thanks JanND
Wouldn't be the first time that spouse "pulled the rug out from under my feet" but that's a topic for another day. LOLOLOL

I've had quite the life so far

Old 04-03-2018, 05:19 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,153,499 times
Another possibility is that your husband actually gives them permission in writing to use that section of the property. Adverse possession must be open and notorious.

Thus, if you’ve given them permission to use it, they cannot take it via adverse possession.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:51 PM

5,868 posts, read 3,148,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Wisconsin is a community property state.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 PM

1,667 posts, read 691,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I appreciate your concern. However, in one of my other posts I did say I know all about Adverse Possession. In my state it is 20 years. We have been here for 14. We put up a metal shed 10 years ago and it looks worse now than the neighbors. LOL

We are Not getting an Attorney unless we really have to. If we have to sell part of that property to this neighbor, we will. Or we might just give him written permission to use part of our land. I know it will all work out one way or the other.
My father-in-law allowed a neighbor to build a shed and use part of his property for years. By the time my father-in-law died, enough time had passed, that the only option was to sell that acre to the neighbor. I can't remember what it sold for of if the neighbor got it at a good price. All I remember is the whole situation was frustrating.

Good luck )

Old 04-03-2018, 08:30 PM

5,868 posts, read 3,148,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
My father-in-law allowed a neighbor to build a shed and use part of his property for years. By the time my father-in-law died, enough time had passed, that the only option was to sell that acre to the neighbor. I can't remember what it sold for of if the neighbor got it at a good price. All I remember is the whole situation was frustrating.

Good luck )
A perfect example of why this needs to be dealt with now. Starting the process when you decide to sell will cloud the title and will make selling harder and it will take much longer, which will frustrate most buyers and will cause them to back out. Sticking your head in the sand may work for ostriches, but not when it comes to property line issues.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
My wife handles all the small stuff. When I get involved the neighbors know to hide. It's your land, take it back.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:20 AM

While you are contemplating how to deal with this situation on the long term, I would go and simply post several No Trespassing signs on your trees in the area where your neighbors have trespassed. Perhaps simply border your whole property with signage even those areas where you neighbors have not trespassed.

And, I'd simply go and physically move back to their yards, on the other side of you border all items of those neighbors that have been left on your property. I would send a letter to the shed owner giving them a designated date to have moved their shed. This is a metal shed....their is no permanence like footings and such...this is movable.

I would then simply string sturdy rope, or chain or some other easy to throw up barrier from tree to tree, or post to post.....with more "Do Not Trespass" laminated signs. Especially in the area where this neighbor has made a bike path. I'd drive rebar, or some strong pipe into the ground blocking access to this path, and along this path right in the middle of it, with signage attached. If the kid can't ride his motor bike along this path, he will stop. The liability to you is real....if this kid or a friend of his gets hurt, believe me the parents will sue you because they know it is your property.

Take pics of your signage, and your property barrier rope fencing.....then if they move these, or defy these you should call the police and report trespassing. I would even put up cameras in the area of the bike path....high enough that it is a hardship for a kid to take them down.

I believe that rather than behaving apologetically like you've been discussing, be proactive. Make them the ones who feel like they need to prove their boundaries if they dispute your border fencing. Realistically, they won't/can't. And, if they weren't already trespassing, you would not even be worrying about what you were planning to do on your own property. https://www.bing.com/search?q=wilder...50da0146b2ae53

And you do not need your husband's permission to protect your home and property....if you all get sued your part of that suit.....and if a kid gets injured....you will be sued for hospital expenses by the other property owners insurance company, guaranteed.

Take back your peace of mind...You are in the right.

Last edited by JanND; 04-04-2018 at 04:29 AM..

Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Thanks JanND
Wouldn't be the first time that spouse "pulled the rug out from under my feet" but that's a topic for another day. LOLOLOL

I've had quite the life so far
Exactly. And knowing now what you've learned....Use that hindsight now.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:58 AM

7,108 posts, read 2,893,107 times
Listen to the other posters. Good information here for you. Donít take it? Lose part of your property under adverse possession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or