U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,131,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
While you are contemplating how to deal with this situation on the long term, I would go and simply post several No Trespassing signs on your trees in the area where your neighbors have trespassed. Perhaps simply border your whole property with signage even those areas where you neighbors have not trespassed.

And, I'd simply go and physically move back to their yards, on the other side of you border all items of those neighbors that have been left on your property. I would send a letter to the shed owner giving them a designated date to have moved their shed. This is a metal shed....their is no permanence like footings and such...this is movable.

I would then simply string sturdy rope, or chain or some other easy to throw up barrier from tree to tree, or post to post.....with more "Do Not Trespass" laminated signs. Especially in the area where this neighbor has made a bike path. I'd drive rebar, or some strong pipe into the ground blocking access to this path, and along this path right in the middle of it, with signage attached. If the kid can't ride his motor bike along this path, he will stop. The liability to you is real....if this kid or a friend of his gets hurt, believe me the parents will sue you because they know it is your property.

Take pics of your signage, and your property barrier rope fencing.....then if they move these, or defy these you should call the police and report trespassing. I would even put up cameras in the area of the bike path....high enough that it is a hardship for a kid to take them down.

I believe that rather than behaving apologetically like you've been discussing, be proactive. Make them the ones who feel like they need to prove their boundaries if they dispute your border fencing. Realistically, they won't/can't. And, if they weren't already trespassing, you would not even be worrying about what you were planning to do on your own property. https://www.bing.com/search?q=wilder...50da0146b2ae53

And you do not need your husband's permission to protect your home and property....if you all get sued your part of that suit.....and if a kid gets injured....you will be sued for hospital expenses by the other property owners insurance company, guaranteed.

Take back your peace of mind...You are in the right.
Oh, don't worry, I'm not backing down on doing something about this. Someone else suggested a trail camera too. We do have camera's on our house on all four corners but it does not allow us to see the far back of our property or that one side (because of the woods). But, sounds like I will invest in a camera for out there.

Thanks for your advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
Good luck with this Cindy! Remind the hubs that you'll need every square inch of that property to sell for your home in SW Florida!

Old 04-05-2018, 06:54 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
The best way to start having an issue with the neighbors that could possibly be avoided would be to put up a fence without any notice at all.
Just a thought.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:54 AM

19,882 posts, read 36,393,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Read the thread. Letters were sent. Fence going up at the thaw.
This right here. Before jumping in and asking what happened in a long thread, READ THE THREAD.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,327,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This right here. Before jumping in and asking what happened in a long thread, READ THE THREAD.
Ah...but RoamingTX already acknowledged that that was not the case. Letters were not sent...yet the saga continues.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,131,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Good luck with this Cindy! Remind the hubs that you'll need every square inch of that property to sell for your home in SW Florida!
Yes, I have pointed that out as well. Someone has to be sensible LOLOL

Old 04-09-2018, 10:03 AM

6 posts, read 1,838 times
Cindy, been there, dealt with that. One neighbor was and still is completely unreasonable and a fence was the only way to deal with them. Several other neighbors had a hard time accepting that the land they were using was ours and not common land. While we didn't care if they took a walk and crossed onto our land we did care about building structures on it or kids hurting themselves on it.

I agree with going to see a lawyer because that is what we did. It doesn't mean that your neighbors ever have to know you've done it, it simply means that you'll get the best advice on how to proceed and protect yourselves.

I also had a resistant husband at first but as the one neighbor became abusive (getting in my face and using foul language and frankly showing signs of mental instability) my husband decided to move forward with a fence. A dirt bike would scare me into at least having a discussion about not riding on my property and explaining why in a calm tone. You never know, the person could be receptive.

We still have one unhappy with life neighbor who consistently behaves irrationally but we don't let them detract from our happiness. I wish you well. I know this isn't fun. I think the best advice is to consult with a lawyer, heed their advice and then get back to enjoying your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or