U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,131,444 times

Advertisements

This cyclone fence is the corner neighbors and runs along our property. That shed is the other neighbors who put part of it on our land along with some other junk behind it in the woods. And yes, I'm going to put a stop to this ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM

Anybody want a lawnmower or canoe? LOLOL
Lord people perplex me...........

Old 03-21-2018, 02:53 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,747,172 times
I would have an attorney send them a cease and disist letter

Old 03-21-2018, 03:17 PM

I don't want to spend money on a lawyer either if we don't have to. I guess we shall see what happens..........

Old 03-21-2018, 04:55 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,213,337 times
These neighbors sound like the kind of people who think that what's theirs is theirs and what's yours is also theirs. They've treated your land as though it was community property. My guess is that they know where their property lines are and they're just testing you to see if you'll be weak and do nothing. They'll take more of your woods, cut down more trees and do more dirt-bike riding, if you don't assert your rights.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:01 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
Maybe I'm missing something but did you try just knocking on their door and telling them they were tresspassing and asking them to move their stuff? You can give them a copy of the survey.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 PM

2,215 posts, read 755,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but did you try just knocking on their door and telling them they were tresspassing and asking them to move their stuff? You can give them a copy of the survey.
Be careful. Knocking on someone's door, and telling them they are trespassing may get you a very unneighborly reaction. Possibly violent. That is why a letter from a lawyer sent certified mail return receipt requested is much safer.

Are the survey markers visible? The OP may have to spend money to get this fixed. Maybe get the back part resurveyed, and new markers installed. Then put the fence up. That will at least keep them from cutting down anymore trees unless they climb the fence. Those people have proven themselves to be untrustworthy. You need to know what you should do legally in your state to cover your rear ends. A letter from a lawyer usually has a greater impact than one from everyday folks. But beware of midnight logging, or other ways to get even after the fact.

Or they could be very sweet, and apologetic about the whole thing.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:23 PM

7,758 posts, read 6,119,124 times
am I the only one who doesn't see the picture(s) the OP posted on this page?

we need to back up, and frankly you really need to quit thinking about all of the confrontational methods suggested. What is wrong with Americans these days?? Personally, I was hoping the general "make sure of your survey/property boundaries and then inform them nicely if you were right" would have been enough; sadly not.

Who the heck would suggest spending many $1000's to build a fence, without having a free conversation first?

Of COURSE, if someone is shown (by marked boundaries) to be using your property, and don't change their behavior, then you are perfectly entitled to escalate!

Herre's the gist of your OP:

Quote:
We have a large lot ...Been there since 2003. 4 neighbors border our property. ...two of those neighbors are using part of our property ...Part of of lot is wooded and we ...noticed that some of the smaller trees where gone. ..they had cut some of the small trees down, make a dirt trail through the woods (neighbors kid has a dirt bike) and they had some items on our land (wheel barrow, rakes) The other neighbor put up a shed and part of it is on our land and they extended their back yard to include part of our land...
how big is your lot, and how big are their lots?

Of your lot, how many feet into it have each encroached by each party?

Where are these encrochments, in relation to the other 2 adjoining owners that you mention?

How big is this shed that "part of" encroaches?

How much of "your lot" have they extended their backyard into?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 PM

2,215 posts, read 755,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Who the heck would suggest spending many $1000's to build a fence?
Personal opinion - I really like fences. Keeps the riffraff out . Makes for very nice privacy. Some people don't like fences, that's fine too.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:51 PM

7,758 posts, read 6,119,124 times
correction: build a fence on a large piece of property when you plan on moving soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or