Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 02:19 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times

Advertisements

These two, and the one before it are completely black.

Never mind, I can see the more recent pictures. Yeah, they are all over your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:53 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
I'd also suggest getting a trespass citation issued. If someone gets hurt but you had a trespass citation, they'd be in violation and I wouldn't think, could sue you.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:49 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If you continue to let them use the ppty those parts could be given up to them by adverse possession. Check the laws in your area. Most have a ten year usage requirement. You also are liable for anything that happens in those areas they are using/occupying.
You should install survey stakes around your ppty and point them out to the neighbors that they are encroaching/trespassing on your ppty.; If you do nothing now you may face some serious and expensive issues in the future. Also check with your city/county inspector and follow their advice.
Well said.

Stand up and defend your property rights.

If you don't, you lose!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
I wouldn’t rely 100% on the online Plat/GIS overlay. You’re definitely going to need a survey for the shed.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
See a lawyer experienced in real estate law immediately, get a survey and photograph the markers in a way so that if necessary a judge can see where the were if removed. Let the lawyer communicate with the trespasser.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Wow! That is a serious encroachment!

Maybe they honestly don't know.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:27 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
My father in Kansas had a particularly mischievous neighbor who actually removed the buried steel survey marker/ stake that had been placed in the 1960s. Then that neighbor argued that my father's land was trapezoidal rather than rectangular (he couldn't access to remove any of the other three stakes). Huge legal mess that was not cheap to resolve.

All this over a fraction of an acre.
Wow! Reminds me of watching the neighbor behind me move the property stake that the builder of a new home next to his had put in the ground to mark the lot line. I saw him move it at least three times. Each time he moved it about a foot and a half.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:47 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
See a lawyer experienced in real estate law immediately, get a survey and photograph the markers in a way so that if necessary a judge can see where the were if removed. Let the lawyer communicate with the trespasser.
^^^^^ This is well stated.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
What you have is a property you will be unable to sell, untill you get this problem solved. It can take months to solve. As you plan on selling it in a matter of months, spend the money now to solve it before placing it for sale.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Stop by in the morning, not too early, with coffees and donuts and tell them you are making belated introductions and felt you should introduce yourself before you start discussing your shared boundaries. That shows you come in peace. They can either accept that overture....or reject it and show themselves up as jerks. Either way you know where you stand for less than $20...lot cheaper than a survey crew and a registered letter. You might need both those things in the end, but if it can be resolved over coffee, that's better for everyone.

I've had the same issue with some vacant land of which I'm an absentee owner, and that was what I did when I went by to check in and realized the neighbors were using my land as their own. We had a cordial conversation, I didn't accuse them of anything, and I wound up leasing it to them for a nominal sum per year just so it was on record that they understood it wasn't theirs, that they were liable for any damage they caused by their use, that I was not responsible for any mishaps or accidents they had on the property and that furthermore as tenants they then had the contractual responsibility to report any potential hazards promptly to me. So I got paid and got my legal concerns addressed at the same time. They probably thought they put one over on me. I didn't care if I got any money from the land. I just didn't want any entanglements or encumbrances on the parcel when I finally decided to sell or do something with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate