Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Giving him legal permission to use part of your land, can effect the ability to sell the property in the future, and effect the price. Before you work to sell them part of the land, you will have to have a survey done not only for your present property lines, but also for the piece you are selling. If there are minimum setbacks, it will not only be the building, but must also include enough for the set back requirements. And you will have to get it approved by your local government department over land subdivisions. And it may or may not be allowed depending on size limitations, etc.
I don't think that neighbor wants to buy the land. He want's it for free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 12:34 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I know right? Good Lord! LOLOLOL
I'm just going to talk to these neighbors.
I would start with just going to talk with them. I would take the plat, point out that you will be building a fence, and ask that they remove their shed or whatever by say, April 15th.

The bike trail conversation might be more difficult. But surely, sane people will realize that you don't want the liability for this. Once again, explain that you will be putting up a fence.

No need to go into adverse possession or getting ready to sell. Just say you are putting up fence.

Unless you have reason to believe that they are dangerous, what's the worst that can happen? They could tell you to stuff it. Then you would need to get an attorney to send a registered letter.

Also, I would recommend leaving out the part about them being allowed to come in and get their dog or retrieve a ball. It muddies the issue for no good reason.

Not sure what to say about them cutting down your trees. That's a tough one.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:59 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I don't think that neighbor wants to buy the land. He want's it for free!
I would not be in favor of selling the land.

Lot of trouble for a little bit of money.

Just insist they move their stuff.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Part of our (farm) land borders a small town. Some years ago a new guy came over to ask if we would mind if he built a garage on "just a little piece" of our land.

I think you should just talk to them first but the letter is fine if that's the way you want to go.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:22 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Some years ago a new guy came over to ask if we would mind if he built a garage on "just a little piece" of our land.
Don't leave us hanging . What happened next?

Old 03-30-2018, 04:46 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Not sure if you have an HOA.
I bet your other neighbors bordering your property that they're also complaining about the bike cutting through.

I'd talk to the neighbors, all of them. Find out if they know what's going on.

I do know you need to step up and take care of this.
Just from an insurance standpoint. What if the kid gets hurt? Are you responsible? Does your homeowners insurance cover something like that? And will that family replant the trees they cut down?

I don't understand the parents. You'd think they'd teach their kids to respect private property. Why destroy your property for the kid to enjoy his new bike?
I wonder if the trees were cut down for firewood, saw you didn't notice and then cut another. Now the bike. What's next? Graffiti?

Old 03-30-2018, 04:51 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
giving him legal permission to use part of your land, can effect the ability to sell the property in the future, and effect the price. Before you work to sell them part of the land, you will have to have a survey done not only for your present property lines, but also for the piece you are selling. If there are minimum setbacks, it will not only be the building, but must also include enough for the set back requirements. And you will have to get it approved by your local government department over land subdivisions. And it may or may not be allowed depending on size limitations, etc.

This exactly!!!!!

Old 03-30-2018, 05:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Part of our (farm) land borders a small town. Some years ago a new guy came over to ask if we would mind if he built a garage on "just a little piece" of our land.
Many years ago my father had something somewhat similar happen to him. Someone wanted to cut down Christmas trees on his farm and then sell them----but he did not want to buy the trees from my father or share the money from selling the trees----he just expected my father to give him the trees for free since "he had so many of them".

Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
Interesting .....this post has now gone over 20+ pages long with everyone having an opinion on what the original poster should do..

WHAT DID YOU DO? Did you get a survey, put up a fence, go talk to the neighbors, what?

22 pages of inquiring minds wanna know?

Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
We have a large lot with a house. Been there since 2003. 4 neighbors border our property. i noticed this last weekend that two of those neighbors are using part of our property for their own! Part of of lot is wooded and we (spouse and I) noticed that some of the smaller trees where gone. We walked back there and saw that they had cut some of the small trees down, make a dirt trail through the woods (neighbors kid has a dirt bike) and they had some items on our land (wheel barrow, rakes) The other neighbor put up a shed and part of it is on our land and they extended their back yard to include part of our land as well. I don't want to make enemies of these people (have never talked to them) but I also am angry that they just take advantage like that. We had not noticed this until now because of the trees, bushes and other foliage. How do we handle this delicately? We do have one metal post that we put on the southwest corner of the back of the property but apparently that neighbor did not care to take that into consideration when they went chopping trees down.....Arghhhhhh

Have a surveyor come out and set the property lines. Tell your neighbors to remove their property off your land. Then have a fence guy come in and barb wire the wooded area. Animals will still go through. Hang no trespassing signs on the barb wire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate