Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 08:17 PM

173 posts, read 120,506 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing now of several cases where a seller, short on time, moves out leaving all kinds of items behind in the house they either don't want or don't have time to pack up--everything from canned good, dishes, linens, furniture, misc. Is this a trend due to fast sales? How common is it really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 08:52 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
It's only a trend and only common because of stupid buyers.

When you (addressed to buyers, not you personally) do your final walkthrough on the morning of the close and there's a bunch of crap still in the house YOU DON'T CLOSE.

You'd be amazed how fast people can get a house cleaned out if that's what it takes to get their money.

I bought a house years ago, did my walkthrough on the morning of the close and there was a junk car sitting in the yard. I called the seller's agent, reported the car and said no close till it was gone. She squealed like a stuck pig but an hour later she called to tell me the car was removed. I went back to the house and, guess what, the seller pushed the car out on to the street right in front of the house. I called the agent, reported that and said no close until it was gone or it would have been my problem after the close. More squealing. An hour later the car was gone and I closed on the house.

If a buyer doesn't stand up for himself he deserves what he gets.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:59 PM

557 posts, read 296,900 times
If the contract specifies broom-cleaned that includes removal of all personal property.
The seller is bound by that contract. If the contract does not specify how the property is to be left, that is the stupidity of the buyer.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:31 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
It's only a trend and only common because of stupid buyers.

When you (addressed to buyers, not you personally) do your final walkthrough on the morning of the close and there's a bunch of crap still in the house YOU DON'T CLOSE.
That's not always possible. What if it's a leaseback situation, which is extraordinarily common where I am.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:36 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
That's not always possible. What if it's a leaseback situation, which is extraordinarily common where I am.
well, it depends on the leaseback period.

A couple of days? Seller should already be basically packed for the movers.

A month or more? Well, then there has to be a stick (usually financial) to ensure the Seller indeed moves out and removes their "junk" when they do.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:15 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Leasebacks are stupid decisions of buyers.

The seller stays in the house that the buyer now owns. The seller has hundreds of thousands of dollars of the buyer's money with which he is paying rent. When he's gone and leaves the house in poor condition the buyer has to chase him down and litigate while spending more of his own money to clean and repair.

No thanks. I buy seller's house, seller GTFO by close of escrow.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:58 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Leasebacks are stupid decisions of buyers.

The seller stays in the house that the buyer now owns. The seller has hundreds of thousands of dollars of the buyer's money with which he is paying rent. When he's gone and leaves the house in poor condition the buyer has to chase him down and litigate while spending more of his own money to clean and repair.

No thanks. I buy seller's house, seller GTFO by close of escrow.
Houses in my market (one of the hottest in the country right now) receive 12 or more offers on the first day. If buyers want any kind of chance to get a house, they need to make these kinds of concessions.

We have been on both sides of a leaseback and had no issues.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:37 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I learned the hard way that the owner’s junk and/or renter must be gone by closing. The house I recently sold I received the right to stay rent free for 2 weeks to get my condo ready. Except for stuff that was packed I made sure everything else was gone so the buyers could see I was not leaving junk behind.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:59 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
I recently bought a house not fully cleared out and cleaned at final walkthrough. The selling agent arranged and paid for removal of the remaining stuff and for cleaning by a cleaning crew.

A buyer needs to be prepared for a bit of brinksmanship at closing.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:11 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
I had zero care, at that, everything was out the day of closing, no one was actually living there, but had a few items for what it looked like someone could sleep there if needed.

You want to leave all your stuff? Fine by me, I will get rid of what I do not want, keep what I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate