Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:43 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times

Advertisements

The direct to easement solution sounds best for him. Hard to say without seeing the plot and layout but it's less driveway to lay (as you say) but it also probably interrupts the grass or the garden less. It sounds much less preferable to angle across the front yard (again without the benefit of seeing it). The straight solution sounds neater looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 04:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
A row of thick evergreens makes good neighbors. It also blocks noise and light.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:10 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The property next door to me sold recently and the guy is already digging a well on the property. His new homesite is about even with where my house is and there is an existing easement along the property line.

He can either build the drive directly towards my house and connect to the easement OR he could put the driveway in at a point closer to the road and connect to the easement past my house. It would sort of be at an angle.

I am wondering if it would be rude of me to suggest the latter or should I just keep my mouth shut?
You can always ask. But be prepared for any answer

Old 03-23-2018, 06:49 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I don't think it's rude at all. He may have his own reasons to do things his way, but I don't see why it would be an upsetting topic. It may not matter at all to him, yet, where the access is.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:16 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The property next door to me sold recently and the guy is already digging a well on the property. His new homesite is about even with where my house is and there is an existing easement along the property line.

He can either build the drive directly towards my house and connect to the easement OR he could put the driveway in at a point closer to the road and connect to the easement past my house. It would sort of be at an angle.

I am wondering if it would be rude of me to suggest the latter or should I just keep my mouth shut?
If you aren't paying his mortgage, you should keep your mouth CLOSED. Otherwise, if it bothers you, start looking for another house.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
It makes no sense to simply "keep your mouth shut" if this is an important matter to you. You have nothing to lose by raising the question ... and no complaints if you don't.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:25 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It makes no sense to simply "keep your mouth shut" if this is an important matter to you. You have nothing to lose by raising the question ... and no complaints if you don't.
Agreed. It may make absolutely no difference to the neighbor, and he may not even realize the affects of the decision on you, yet, of issues like headlights and extra traffic. Just bring it up.... and see. It does not have to be hostile.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Wartrace, why not go introduce yourself and ask him about his building plans.
Neighborly conversation can enlighten some and educate others and it has been a friendly get to know you interaction.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Agreed. It may make absolutely no difference to the neighbor, and he may not even realize the affects of the decision on you, yet, of issues like headlights and extra traffic. Just bring it up.... and see. It does not have to be hostile.
It depends on the neighbor some may be easygoing and say sure I didn't think of that, no problem, Others will be offended for life that you would intrude on them and tell them where to put the driveway on their property. I've misjudged a neighbor once thinking they were very nice and it turned out they were a pushy know it all in the end. So sometimes you can judge the people and if you get a bad vibe never engage them in conversation.

I can't imagine how the OP would even bring it up to the neighbor.

"Extra traffic" is a ridiculous thing to call it. He's not putting a toll both and opening an interstate on his easement, it's 100 or more foot driveway.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:08 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It depends on the neighbor some may be easygoing and say sure I didn't think of that, no problem, Others will be offended for life that you would intrude on them and tell them where to put the driveway on their property.

I can't imagine how the OP would even bring it up to the neighbor.

"Extra traffic" is a ridiculous thing to call it. He's not putting a toll both and opening an interstate on his easement, it's 100 or more foot driveway.
Yes, and he owns the easement. So you're going to the neighbor with an argument that by putting the new driveway straight to the easement, he'll be increasing traffic on HIS OWN easement. i'm not saying not to try to have that discussion but this needs to be put in perspective and you could end up looking silly if you don't be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate